We were very disappointed in the Shawandha. We thought this was going to be a little more comfortable. Here are the facts.
1. After a 5 hour bus ride from San Jose, we arrive to the hotel and were hungry. They did not offer anything to eat during the day and had to wait till 6:00 to get food. They did not have any ice on the property - you had to hike down the road to a small convience store for anything to drink.
2. The food was okay - barebone breakfast - fruit and an egg. The dinner menu was small and took 3 times to cook our steaks so they were not bloody.The food was okay- not great. I am not that picky - I can live on burgers and pizza even.The dinner atmosphere was nice outside with candles.
3. Nice plants and a pretty outdoor environment and pool area.
4. Rooms are as bare bone as you could imagine. Walk into a tiny bungalow wih one bed a small shelf and an entable with one little lamp. No drawers or shelfs to put clothes in - no hooks to hang anything - just a small area in the bathroom with a rod and 4 hangers. you need to dress from your suitcses on the floor as there was not room put things away. Bed was hard and only had a sheet and an old musty thin bedspread. There was no air - just an old rickety ceiling fan. Was either cold or hot in the rooms due to the high humidity and all of the rain. Room was always damp feeling.
5. No windows - just screens with wood slats. So no privacy at all - the sound travels and could hear everything from the bungalows nearby. And the monkeys were lound waking you up with their screams all night long.
6 The bathroom has steep tile stairs and were slippery and dangerous - was always wet feeling because of the humidity. No shower curtain even in the shower and is next to the toilet. Water everywhere - chincy little bath towels. and only one small spot light working from the ceiing so always dark in the bathroom. My favorite part of the bathroom was when the last day we had an early morning pick up and the shower was only dispensing hot burning water, then ice cold and then just stopped working at all. Of course this happend when I had a full head of shampoo and could not rince it out.
7. It raind 20 hours a day so the fact that this place did not offer anything - no activities, no TV, not even a deck of cards, made it incredibly boring. If the weather was better - the beach and pool would have made the days more enjoyable - but know if you do go there in the rainy season - bring a lot of books, because there is literally nothing to do.
8. The best part about the Shawandha was leaving and going on our amazing white water rafting tour at the pacquare river on our way back to San Jose. The holiday inn airport hotel was like staying a the TAJ MAHAL after our experience at the Shwandha. We are not people that typically pay for great rooms - usually only 3 star and never had experienced such a poor accomodation.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Shawandha Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Shawandha Puerto Viejo
- Hotel Shawandha Lodge Costa Rica/Limon