“La Costa de Papito was exactly where I wanted to be.”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My sister and I traveled to Costa Rica and stayed in these lovely huts for the second half of our trip. It was a dream fulfilled staying here in these comfortable, well thought out dwellings. everything you need is right here. bikes to rent, tours all planned for you. and the people were wonderful who ran the place. good service with a smile, the Pure Jungle Spa was the best massage I've gotten in years and reasonably priced. the food was excellent and everything was better than expected. the huts were so comfortable and we enjoyed the hammock and beautiful wood sculptured table and benches out on the covered porch, not to mention the beauty of the beach directly accross the street. I had a wonderful time in Costa Rica and I have Ed Ryan to thank for thinking up this idea of huts for the noble savage like me! I enjoyed every moment of Puerto Viejo and will definately go back and stay there again! Laurie Roland, Long Island, NY

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lauski11

Reviewed January 18, 2011

We drove into Puerto Viejo the morning after landing in CR and LCDP was a beautiful and relaxing retreat for the two days we stayed. We arrived a week before Christmas and were lucky to get there before the holiday crowd. The bungalows were absolutely fantastic! The porch space was large and the furnishings both indoor and out were rustic and charming. The bathrooms were something out of the Flinstones and the rest of the room seemed to be done completely in bamboo. Although the bedding could use an upgrade (for aesthetic purposes) there wasn't much need for them at all.

The owners and family were friendly and two of their dogs spent a couple hours hanging out with us while we had a drink on our spacious porch. We had dinner our first night there and everything was delicious. The whole fish in their carribean sauce is a must try dish! After dinner we played some pool and chatted with the owners young son. I can't remember his name but he was an absolute riot. He is young- somewhere between 9-13 years old, I can't remember exactly, but he was so sharp and funny we couldn't help but enjoy his company before venturing out into town. We wanted to check out the nightlife but there wasn't much going on (it was a Tuesday night). We had a couple drinks, listened to some reggae and headed back to our bungalow.

Day two: we woke up and missed breakfast. We were so sure the staff member who checked us in had told us breakfast was served until 11:00 AM. We were mistaken and were past serving hours but the cook graciously prepared us eggs, toast, fruit and gallo pinto! We were all so grateful!! We rented bikes and rode out to town, had lunch and headed back before dark. Our last night included ceviche and a nightcap at the restaurant bar. Our waiter from the evening before was our bartender the second evening and he was both friendly and helpful in answering all of our questions and trying to help us with our transfer for the following day.

All in all our stay at LCDP was the perfect beginning to our two week trip around CR. My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. I will definitely return and will make sure to stay at least four days the next time around. It was so nice to be close enough to bike into town but have the privacy being outside of town allows. The vibe of this part of CR combined with our perfect little bungalow helped make this vacation one of our most memorable yet.

Reviewed January 15, 2011

I was really reticent about traveling to Puerto Viejo after reading other travellers concerns about safety. I expressed my concern to LCDP's owner, Eddie Ryan via email and he responded back never demeaning my concern, but certainly encouraging me to come down and experience the place for myself. Full disclosure? I happen to work in the travel industry and am hyper critical of all properties I visit. I have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and i truly feel like my experience at LCDP ranks amongst the best. We arrived via a long and bumpy car ride after white-water rafting all day. Our driver (who was commissioned by the rafting company, not LCDP) wasn't familiar with the area, so imagine the JOLT we experience when we approached Puerto Viejos' famously pot-holey roads.

We checked in during the early evening and our three rooms (myself and my husband and two other couples) were ready for us. I was floored by each little cabina. We all had more than enough porch space to entertain, replete with a lovely hammock, rocking chair and tables. The rooms each had multiple beds (so it would be great for families) swathed in mosquito netting. I will make mention that we barely noticed mozzies in the room, contrary to a couple other reviews I've seen.

We had dinner a couple of times in the resort and it was wonderful. Everyone agreed that the flavors were excellent and the presentation was spot-on. As you sit in the main area (where the restaurant and bar are located) the Ryan family, including their pups moves about, lending a relaxed familial feel to the resort.

We spent an evening at the bar talking to their wonderful bartender one evening (he's the one who lives in a house just outside the property) his name escapes me, but he was excellent. Even gave us some great suggestions for where to eat/drink in town.

We rented beach cruisers from the hotel and it was such a treat to be able to safely cycle everywhere. We loved it!

I must stress that i was thisclose to cancelling my trip to Costa Rica all together, but I'm so glad I didn't as Puerto Viejo and La Costa De Papito was incredible. I will return,

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joshlufsgirl
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We are two professionals that deal with trouble youth everyday...and we came to Costa Rica to discover the untouched and unspoiled beauty of the coast; and we found it at Hotel La Costa de Papito. From the atmosphere to the food, and down to the service and entire staff; this was a gem in all aspects.

The owners, the staff, the people of the surrounding community were all so nice and we always felt secure, safe, and most importantly...welcomed. The food was outstanding, the value great, and the quite and unspoiled beach within a close walk from the hotel worth the trip. Thanks everyone...we'll be back in May or June this year and hopefully...every year thereafter. Our favorite place to go outside the US.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2011

The cabinas overlook a lush and beautifully taken care of jungle garden that is full of birds and butterflies. The cabinas are interesting and lovely and the attention to detail is suburb. If you are looking to be a bit out of town- about a 10-15 minute bike ride, close to the beach, and in a place that you could relax all day- you have found it... as long as the construction projects are finished. Unfortunately, they were working hard to complete the Jungle Spa during our stay so we were disturbed by construction from 8 am - 8 pm- but if this is finished- you will be set. Also, the resturant is OUTSTANDING. We actually found it to be some of the best food in the area and at a price that is certainly in keeping with(or cheaper) than the other upscale resturants in the area. The staff is amazingly courteous and accomodating. This is a very special place to stay.

Reviewed January 5, 2011

This place is really cool if you can get a bungalow reserved there. We stayed there for 5 nights, the rate was reasonable for the location, proximity to the beach, and the well sized room and private patio. We had our own hammock which was ultra comfortable and we took some nice naps in it. The restaurant on site has amazing food and is also reasonably priced - we ate there 3 of the nights because of their great food and they had live music some of the nights. Eddie the owner is a real great guy and we had the same server every night - we can't remember her name but she treated us great. We were not checked on every minute like in a US restaurant but that's how all the places there are and it was kind of nice. It's much more enjoyable to rent a bike ($7/ half a day) to get into downtown Puerto Viejo than walking. They let us borrow snorkeling gear for free. The only issue we had was a critter got in between the wall every morning at 6am sharp and would scratch for a little while - it never got into the room or anything, just a bit annoying. With this place being in the middle of the rainforest, something like that shouldn't be a big surprise. Oh and there was crazy downpours of rain some of the nights - we live in Texas so we were scared of flash floods, but they had a great trenching system on the property and the bungalows were built well - there was never a problem of water getting in. Overall, this place was well worth the money.

Reviewed January 1, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights during a "tropical depression" when I've never seen it rain so hard. We took to the hammock with good books to read, sloshing through the water to get to the restaurant to eat good meals. Our cabin was cozy and we enjoyed the colorful tile work in the shower. All the buildings are unique and interesting to be in. The owner is attentive as is the staff. We enjoyed ourselves in spite of the weather.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple