“The Best of the Caribbean!”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
Reviewed February 25, 2010

My husband and I chose La Costa de Papito as the site for our destination wedding. We had 24 family members and friends join us for the special occasion. Our decision to stay at La Costa de Papito was one of the BEST we made!

We LOVED the gorgeous, all natural bungalows, and the relaxed, jungle atmosphere. Eddie, his wife Aussi, and their staff were wonderful hosts and helped us with so many aspects of the wedding, reception, restaurant recommendations, making local calls, etc, etc, etc. I really can't say enough about their hospitality.

Here are some things to keep in mind about the Caribbean Coast and staying at La Costa de Papito:

Pros: Authentic Costa Rican experience, Caribbean/Rasta vibe, amazing food, lush jungle, less tourism, GREAT value, beautiful wood work and tile work in the bungalows, a little cooler than the Pacific coast

Cons: Bugs (yes there are bugs, they can get through the mosquito nets and bite you at night), rain...it rains more and unpredictably, cold showers (depending on your bungalow), variable water pressure in showers, more humid weather than the Pacific coast (your sheets/clothes/etc will always feel damp)

On our honeymoon, we went to two other places: Tabacon Grand Spa (~$330/night in Arenal) and Hotel Tropico Latino (~$160/night in Malpais.) Tabacon was fun and we enjoyed the 5 star experience; however...La Costa de Papito was my favorite. It was my little slice of heaven and I can't wait to go back. This was my 3rd visit to Costa Rica, and I also spent four months living in the country. If you want an authentic experience on the Caribbean Coast, La Costa de Papito is the place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2010
There are newer reviews for Hotel La Costa de Papito

Reviewed February 23, 2010

Me and a couple of friends, one from New York and one coming from Milan had just been sportfishing and staying in four star luxury hotel, la Mariposa. The price was about 25% of that of Mariposas suites but the attention to detail so much in the rooms as with the surrounding gardens made us feel like we had not dropped a notch in class and convenience. My italian firend went back to Milan totally impressed by this 13 suite hotel crafted in wood. The people were friendly and professional. An excellent choice if planing to experience Limon's carribean coast.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed at La Costa de Papito for one night during our recent visit to Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica. Upon arrival,we were shown to our cabin and were surprised to see that the door and all the windows were wide open. The windows did not have screens, and this did not seem to be an efficient way to keep out bugs and animals. Fortunately, we did not find any creatures during our stay, but it did make us pretty uneasy. Besides this, the cabins are very nice. The porch is very large and the furniture is nice.

What was really awful about this place was the service. My husband and I are pretty easygoing, so it takes a lot for us to complain. We had traveled all day and arrived at the hotel starving. We went to the restaurant and were told that there were no available tables and we would have to wait. No problem, we got a drink and played some pool. After an hour, however, we noticed that there still were not any tables, so we decided to order our meals at the bar. We asked the waitress to let us know if a table became available while we waited for our food. She never followed up with us, but did seat a couple who arrived much later than us. At this point, we were getting a little irritated. An hour later, we still had no food! We asked the waitress to check on it, and she went to check on it, but never came back to us with an answer. By now we had been waiting 2 hours for our food and did not understand what was taking so long. We asked the waitress about the food again, and she said it wasn't ready. We told her we would like to cancel our order, and she gave us attitude, telling us we should be able to see how busy they are. We said we did understand, but she also had to understand that we were guests at this hotel and had been waiting over 2 hours for our meal, which is unacceptable. She agreed to cancel our order but was not nice about it at all.

The next morning, we asked the woman at the reception desk if we could use their phone to make a local call to our next hotel. She seemed very hesitant and seemed unhappy with our request. We paid over $100 for one night and had to skip out on dinner, we felt like one short 2 minute call should NOT be a problem. Breakfast was also unimpressive. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good, and there were not many people there at all.

Overall, there are a lot of places to stay in Puerto Viejo that will provide nice rooms with much better service. And they will probably charge less, too. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KelBar46
La_Costa_de_Papito, owner at Hotel La Costa de Papito, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2010

Tuesday nights we have great live music (Jim Vick’s Big Mix) and because the food is honestly terrific and the restaurant a real beauty, a lot of people come to enjoy themselves.
Unfortunately we could not seat these guests (they now reveal in their review that they arrived starving) and they were told that there would be a considerable wait. I understand that when you are hungry 40 minutes seems like an eternity, so the completely inaccurate time frame is understandable. Minerva is our star waitress and the TripAdvisor reviews are full of praise and recognition for her great service and friendly personality. It’s hard though not to shoot the messenger on an empty stomach. It turned out to be a no win situation for these guests and ourselves. We did finally offer to seat them when we could, but they refused. Fortunately, everyone else left the restaurant that night contented.

Actually we charge $89 double occupancy with breakfast included. We sell domestic phone cards for the lobby phone but will happily dial your next hotel.

Reviewed February 14, 2010

This trip was our gift to each other for our 25th Anniversary. We could not have chosen a better atmosphere. The cabina was pure romance and the craftsmanship was phenomenal. We truly enjoyed every aspect of this hotel. The staff were wonderfully pleasant and helpful. They made us feel truly welcome in Costa Rica. The food was great and the Mojitos were the best I've ever had. I can find absolutely not one negative aspect to this hotel. Eddie is a very personable and kind man. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2010

We spent three days over New Year in Puerto Viejo and not only was it one of our absolute favourite places in Costa Rica, Le Costa de Papito was our dream hotel - the jungle cabins were AMAZING. We LOVED our private porch where we could laze in our own hammock and play cards at our own table. The rooms were equally lovely inside - the only downside would be that when all the window shutters are closed it is pitch black so you can't see too much! But who cares when the sun's shining and there's so much to get outside and do. Hire some bikes from recxeption, or simply cross the road to one of the most stunning beaches on the coast. We LOVED our mixed barbeque dinner, delicious. We were less keen on the (cold) breakfast and all the flies at the breakfast table, but this one was minor flaw in an otherwise heavenly stay. I cried when we left! Beautiful. I would love to return one day.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2010

My wife and I stayed for two weeks at La Costa de Papito. The service was excellent with very friendly and helpful staff. They responded to all of our requests. Delicious food in the restaurant. The buffet-style breakfasts were a bargain at $5.50 each. The jungle surroundings make for a perfect change of pace from our urban life in the U.S. Temperature was in the high 70s to low 80s every day. The beach just across the street had excellent waves for surfing or boogie boarding or body surfing. There are bicycles to rent and places to visit nearby. Papito is an excellent home-base for many Costa Rican adventures. We are going back next winter and recommend it highly!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2010

I loved, loved, loved this place! The decor was wonderful! Lying in my jungle cabin in the early evening and early morning listening to the frogs and crickets and...all the wildlife that was out there was magical. The cabins were large and the porches were quite large also. Breakfast was served on my porch and I have to say the fruit and yogurt and granola were the most generous portions I have seen. On the one day it did rain it was wonderful to lay in my hammock on the portch and listen to a little tropical rain in the greenery.

My cabin was a little dark with the shutters closed and screens on all the windows instead of just some of them, would have remedied this. The grounds were nicely cared for and the hummingbirds visited every morning. One evening one of the workers brought a mother and baby sloth to the restaurant for everyone to see.

The staff were friendly and the location near Playa Cocles was wonderful. I didn't rent a car and got around on foot and by cab just fine. My only regret is that I left there too soon. I could have easily stayed another week.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo