“Last Minute Reserve”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Last Minute Reserve”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Even tough our trip was more for work than vacation, I write this review with that purpose in mind. On my way to Puerto Viejo, I consulted TRIPADVISOR for hotels in the area. I had never stopped at La Costa de Papito and I was encouraged to do so after my call. Upon my arrival, I was taken by a knowledgeable host to see one of the bungalows and I thought it was good for the night or two we needed to stay in the vicinity. The bungalow was well equipped with two queen size beds, in a spacious room with a ceiling fan, safe deposit box and a good sized bathroom. The part of the bungalow I liked was on the outside with a nice table and surrounded by a corridor. Sheets and linen where nice and pretty new. Served every morning and included in the rate paid, I enjoyed the buffet breakfast with eggs a la carte. My experience was a very good one and I will definitely recommend it for vacationers and in this case of mine, if you have any business in the vicinity.

Room Tip: All bungalows where private and enjoyed good distance between them. I stayed at one near the office...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Our stay at La Costa De Papito was wonderful. The staff could not be friendlier. They will take care of everything. Bike rentals, beach towel and umbrella rentals, arranging transportation, and they set up any tour you'd like to take. Close enough but also far enough away from downtown Puerto Viejo. Playa Cocles beach just a short walk away. The Indulgence Spa is a MUST, we had the deep tissue massage and it was perfect and rejuvenating. Papito has the BEST complimentary continental breakfast I've ever had at any vacation establishment. Such a wonderful honeymoon here. We will definitely be back. Even with the rain and the bugs (and we had a bat get into our room one afternoon!) it was excellent. I must mention as my mother is disabled, I would not recommend this place to someone who has any trouble walking or balance issues, especially in the rainy season. it will be too hard for someone like that to walk the grounds safely. Also, we were one day late due to our transportation issues but Papito couldnt have been more accommodating and great with their communication. A++

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Great location and helpful staff.
All in all, a good experience but:
- bungalows are made of wood in a rustic style, which is aesthetically beautiful and well inserted in the natural environment but they have huge gaps in the junction of walls and ceiling and windows which, especially in the midst of the forest, doesn't feel very safe (snakes and all that) and led to multiple mosquitoes bites (even with the use of the mosquito nets; plus it had 4 Windows and only 1 had a mosquito net making it hard to air the room
- furniture and bathroom lacked proper cleaning (bathroom was cleaned daily but not thoroughly
- breakfast with very little variety and no fresh bread

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank MPGuerra
Reviewed May 28, 2014

the bungalows are an amazing rustic beauty....i have stayed in many kinds of places around the world and in costa rica...this is like a piece of paridise in the rain forest....your own little slice of heaven, fall asleep to the crashing waves acrposs the road from the warm caribbean waters and wake up to the sound of birds and monkeys. the main room was a beautiful all hand made space that is truly unique. the staff was great the food even better. we sepnt a morning fishing and the captain and crew were great, any meal we had in town or around there was perfect..loved the whole area, cant wait to get back..it is the perfect rustic get away, riding bikes to town, swimming at one of the best beaches in costa rica..the whole experience was one of a kind

Room Tip: we had a 2 bedroom for 2 men over 6 ft and we just asked for the largest beds and they were more tha...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This place is wonderful. The grounds are beautiful and the 2-bedroom bungalow we stayed in was so perfect for us. The bungalows are a fun tropical rustic style. They have gorgeous woodwork and the patio areas are a great place to lounge around. There was a sloth in a tree next to our bungalow and the kids found geckos and other critters. The beaches in this area are beautiful and the hotel provides beach towels, beach chairs, and umbrellas for you at the front desk. The food at the restaurant is good and they have live music some nights. We saw a Caribbean band that was awesome! The staff is really helpful and the owners, Eddie and Auxi, are really nice. At one of our first dinners, we were talking to our waiter, Coco, about our plans to surf the next day and he introduced us to Auxi who surfs almost everyday. We were fortunate to surf with her a few days and she showed us some great spots. She is amazing! This place is amazing! It was hard to leave, but every time I think of this place, I have such pleasant memories.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MargaritaClaudia
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed May 22, 2014

All in all the experience was good!
We tried to book in advance and Reservations got got back to us with a $88.00 (plus tax) rate saying they had no space in less expensive rooms.
A day after I came across their $69 plus tax last minute rate and booked immediately.
Staff was extremely helpful before and during stay. The hotel is lovely and I wish we could have stayed longer. Here are a couple of buts:

Security box in our room did not work
No daily yoga class as stated on webpage
Bed linen smelled a little like damp (it IS in the middle of the jungle though...)
Breakfast is served from 7 to 10 believe. We sat down to eat at 9 am and there was hardly anything left and no interest to offer more of anything. We had the daily tico taco and they were nothing special. Cold and kind of jammed in our faces.

As I say, the hotel is fantastic: gardens and bungalows are awesome. I would bring these comments to the owners attention to make this place even better.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SarahRLmx
La_Costa_de_Papito, Owner at Hotel La Costa de Papito, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
We would like to thank these guests for their positive review with their constructive criticisms.

When the batteries wear out in the room safety deposit boxes, the boxes won't work. Easy to remedy when brought to our attention. These guests stayed Sunday night and we are updating the website to indicate that the yoga classes are now on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at 9:30 am.

I was embarrassed and upset to read about the breakfast that was offered to these guests at 9 am. The full buffet breakfast is and must be available until 10am. This review was read aloud to the breakfast staff and the front person in the restaurant that day was transferred back into the kitchen.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2014

The bungalows are nice and quiet, there is a good restaurant in the hotel and a beautiful beach is just across the road. Not so good for people who are afraid of mosquitoes (but then we were there at the beginning of the rainy season) - although I and our daughter got hardly bitten, my wife did get quite a few bites.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family