“No surprises”

Hotel La Costa de Papito
Edmonton
“No surprises”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Was everything we expected. Large, comfortable, clean cabinas; kind, helpful staff and a great breakfast. Location is excellent across from the beautiful Playa Cocles. Beware the riptide here as we had a nasty experience with it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sinzemli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Machipongo, Virginia
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I am sorry we were only at this hotel for a few days but we had planned a Coast to Coast tour package with Gecko Trail Adventures (an excellent travel agency) and we had to move on. It was the off season and that's an easy time to slack off but this hotel didn't. Everyone was very helpful and friendly - from helping my husband find a fishing trip at the last minute to helping me find an inexpensive store to replace the make-up I had lost along the way. A special thank you to the sister of the owner (I think that it what she said). She made us feel like we were back at home - very welcome and comfortable. The grounds were beautiful and the bungalow was lovely. At first, I was a little concerned about the lack of screens on the windows but we had more hummingbirds and butterflies fly into the bungelow than bugs. We slept great. The beach across the street was beautiful, the town was close by and fun to walk around in and I had a great massage and facial at the spa. The food in the restaurant was delicious. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cindy2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Spent two weeks here and loved everyday! The perfect amount of seclusion with a quick walk to good food and coffee all day. The buffet breakfast was wonderful.. eggs are prepared just as ordered; the pancakes were my favorite!! There's a bar, also, serves "well-oiled" drinks! Can't say enough about the service.. the people there are kind and considerate and go out of their way to make your time there as easy going as possible. When you go please say hola to Zebria for me.. we became good buddies.

Room Tip: If I tell you the bungalow I stayed in then it may not be available for when I come back! However, I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
San Jos
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I visited the hotel on octuber with my couple. We stayed at the bungalow #11 and we had a relaxing time. However it rained from the moment we arrived until we left. Considering the rooms don't have tv and the hotel don't offer much to do, you pretty much have to stay in your roon watching the rain. I think it would be nice to add tv and a small fridge to the rooms.

The room was properly clean and the food at the restaurant was ok, not great not bad. Service was also ok. Its a family operated hotel, you won't recieve a professional service at all.

The spa was definetly a high point. Great massage with higly trained professionals.

Overall stay was ok but i'd hardly go back or recommend the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Daniel B
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I didn't actually get a chance to stay there, because we had an emergency and had to head home suddenly. Their cancellation policies were sent with the hotel reservations and clearly non refundable since we cancelled the day prior to arrival.
They were very kind and gracious, and didn't charge us a cent because of our situation and I wanted to say how much I appreciated their generosity!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank lkurtz1
Alki, Washington, United States
Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husbsand and I went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon and the only reason I booked a stay at La Costa de Papito was because of the reviews on Trip Advisor. While the guy that checked us in was really nice, the "romantic bungalow" was anything but. It was dark, dingy, smelled horrible and nothing but two small beds and a bathroom. Had we been using the single bed there would have been nowhere to put our things. We wanted to sit out on the porch for a bit, but they couldn't get the lights to work (fixed them the next day).

The frogs in all of the ponds are charming, but all of that water means a ton of mosquitoes, and we spent a sleepless night sweating in a tiny, hard bed being eaten alive.

The bungalow next to ours was being renovated, so every time we were in the room all we heard were the sounds of loud construction. When we'd decided to change hotels, I went to the front desk and let them know we were unhappy and wanted to cancel the remainder of our stay (3 more nights). The owner gave me a dirty look and a lot of attitude. When I explained that we had spent a sleepless night being bitten, I was asked if I used the fan and mosquito net, which of course we had. I was then told I would not be refunded my money. We thought it was strange they had made us pay the entire stay up front (as NO other hotel in Costa Rica has asked us for this) and I would have completely understood if they kept 2 nights, but to not refund us the other 2 nights is nothing but bad customer service and business.

Thankfully for us, we found a hotel a few doors down that gave us a gigantic room with an ocean view and no bugs for less than La Costa de Papito and actually allowed us to have the romantic honeymoon we'd wanted.

I'm shocked at the good reviews La Costa de Papito has gotten on this site - I've stayed in "rustic" places, but this was not in any way charming. I will never consider staying here again nor would I ever recommend it to anyone going to visit Puerto Viejo.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristina D
La_Costa_de_Papito, Owner at Hotel La Costa de Papito, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
I look upon the hundreds of great reviews we have received on Trip Advisor as certification that we have done a really good job in creating quality accomodations with a distinctive character and in making our guests feel special.
So why would anyone write something so meanspirited which in no way describes us? And why were we expecting this??
It was raining the night this couple arrived ( never having mentioned it was their honeymoon, over which we pamper our guests with flowers, a bottle of wine and breakfast served at one of the bungalows we use for honeymooners) and it was raining the next morning.
It was still raining when the woman told the receptionist that she didn´t want to stay and she wanted a refund. On our website we explain that with last minute cancellations we put the bungalows up for resale and send the resale money by Paypal to the person. It says that the reservation is sacred and is defended against others who request those same dates . For that reason, if the guest has a change of plans because of the weather, they are still financially responsible. The receptionist explained the cancellation policy and the woman repeated that she wanted the refund. The receptionist told her she had to follow the procedure but the owner (myself) would be back from the bank shortly and she could talk to him.
They left. I´m sorry we didn´t get a chance to meet and talk about the situation. If she had told me they were on their honeymoon and that the rain was washing all the joy away, I would have given them a refund.
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just spent a wonderful weekend among friends with my two dogs at Eddie Ryan's Great Escape. Everything a true "Costa Rican " experience with the best Costa Rica has to offer. Perfectly located to the beach, on property natural serenity, close proximity to town, and restricted access and parking, with security. What more could I have wanted?

Room Tip: I hid a stash of gold in Number 8....
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
#7 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Passion Fruit Lodge
Passion Fruit Lodge
#1 of 13 in Cahuita

Been to Hotel La Costa de Papito? Share your experiences!