Villas del Caribe
$146
$138
Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$132
$105
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Escape Caribeno(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$71
$66
Hotel Banana Azul(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$69
Hotel Boutique Indalo(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$65
$55
Hotel Maritza(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$63
Hotels.com
Hotel Shawandha Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$135
  • Breakfast included
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$88
Hotel Blue Conga(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$75
Travelocity
Coco Loco Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$61
TripAdvisor
All reviewsattached restaurantbeach accesscosta ricabreakfast includedwonderful hotelthe jaguar rescue centerrent bikespura vidabalconykitchenettecoastslothsproscaribbeanconsticojacuzzi
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband & I were book here with another couple on a groupon deal. We stayed in a "superior" room on the 2nd floor away from the pool...slept like babies, but we love the sound of the waves and the pounding rain. The bed was a bit hard for our taste (better than too soft). Our internet worked great in the room (from where I'm writing this review right now), but our friends, who were right next door, had to go to the lobby area to get a decent connection. The tropical location right on the beach was gorgeous with several great restaurants near by. The water pressure in the shower left a lot to be desired, but we loved our deck with a view and a hammock. The breakfast was sufficient, fresh--an ordinary Tico breakfast: rice & beans, scrambled eggs, fruit coffee, toast, and cereal (great coffee, btw). Bring your own phone as there is none in the room. The spa is not heated, which was a great disappointment after a day of hiking in the jungle.

Room Tip: Ask for a "superior" room...doesn't cost much more.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I love showing up in low season with my laden-down bicycle: I get smoking deals.

This is a great beachfront hotel. Thanks (and it is a heartfelt thanks) to the Cocles/Chiquita/Uva Triumvirate, there are almost no true beachfront hotels along this coast, but this is one of them.

The staff here are really great. I left a debit card in the room (?) and for a volunteered small fee taxi-guy Rene drove it all the way back to the next town I was in for me, all done via quick and efficient email (thanks, uber-awesome Eliot!).

Aside from that, the hotel is great: there are virtually no chemicals anywhere (I’m horribly sensitive), the rooms are gorgeous, the location is divine and I kid-you-not, the upper rooms (I snooped, the place was empty – the lower suites have the advantage of having deck chairs and concrete roundtables with built-in seats but no hammocks) have one of the three best hammocks I have lounged in ever. And I take my hammocks very, very seriously.

This hotel is Costa Rican owned. Great pool, too.

Oh, and fabulous water pressure. Thanks, Villa del Caribe!

Room Tip: The upper rooms are pricier, for a reason.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I are seniors who very recently stayed in this excellent resort for 10 of the greatest days of our 6 weeks in Costa Rica. One could not ask for better service. Fresh linen daily, the pool was pristine due to a hard working pool man every day by 7:Not only is this hotel right by the ocean there are all kinds of tidal pools for toddlers and Oldies when the ocean is rough and 29 C water can't be missed. The breakfast buffet was marvelous, tropical fruit, eggs home made bread and jam and of course CR coffee and juice and rice and beans.There is a grocery store with everything 2 minute walk across the road.If the restaurant is open in the evening it should not be missed. We enjoyed steak, sea bass and Red Snapper on the nights it was open and with a jam session of blue grass musicians one night. for dessert.
The room was comfortable,airy due to being second floor with a breeze way underneath, a desk, safe,WiFi, ceiling fan, big closet adequate shower.Only drawback was ping pong night on a weekend ,that was noisy but one could always join them and it ended early enough.
The staff are obviously proud of their jobs and well appreciated because everyone from maids, office staff,waiters cooks and pool man were very happy and helpful and multi task like crazy. We would love to spend 10 days every year here.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the room closest to the pool.It had fabulous views of the jungle and ocean. We had great bird watching, sloths hung around daily and one morning a wake up call from a troop of Howlers playing in the trees opposite our room.Wonderful experience.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NelsonFish
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am writing this review while sitting by the open front desk which is right on the beach.

The rooms of this hotel are also right on the beach. This fact alone should give this hotel a higher overall rating than it currently has. Most of the hotels here in Puerto Viejo are actually "just off the beach". This means that you have to cross a road to see and / or get to the beach. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it is important to know if you want to be on the beach.

The rooms are clean and air conditioned. The hotel itself looks like a motel (doesn't blend with the surroundings) which is likely why it does not have higher ratings. The beach in front of the hotel is good for both sitting (sand beach) and snorkeling (reefs). Don't expect to see lots of coral because there's not much here. However, the water is clear and there are plenty of fish.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view. Second floor is nicer.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Good buffet breakfast available till 11am. One of the few hotels on the sea front, few hundred metres from the crashing Caribbean waves. Yes, it is noisy, but you don't go to Puerto Viejo for peace and solitude... Noisy rain, sea and a bit of traffic. But clean, cheap, WiFi, all-day coffee available, nice clean pool, table tennis, table football, right on the beach and a cycle- ride from the bustle of PV. We hired bikes from the guy over the road, as recommended by reception, but they were poorly maintained and I got oily hands replacing the chains on both bikes, twice, within the course of a day. Other people might not have know how, and been stranded. They are single gear bikes, so it ain't difficult to maintain them... Also, make sure you lock up your bikes if you rent them. There seems to be a thriving local market in stealing hire bikes, for which you the renter will have to pay around 200 dollars if you loose yours... Some of the hotel area was a bit dated, but it was clean, secure, and you got a lot for your money. Staff all friendly and helpful. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple