$190
$171
Hotel Banana Azul(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$54
$44
Savings alert! 54% below average rates

The price you found is 54% lower than this hotel's average rate of $95/night.

Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$105
$102
  • Breakfast included
La Perla del Caribe(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$99
VIP Hotel Playa Negra(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$120
$116
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$109
La Finca Chica(Cocles)(Great Value!)
$95
La Kukula Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$110
$107
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Boutique Indalo(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$59
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $67/night.

Tree House Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$221
All reviewsyoga instructorvegetarian foodhowler monkeysmeditation hallcosta ricahorseback ridingin townlife changingmassage therapistsan josenight lifeinteresting peoplebring earplugsview of the oceanbeautiful placechocolate tourjaguar rescue
Reviewed June 12, 2017

I stayed at Samasati the first week of May and it was exactly what the doctor ordered. I wanted nature=CHECK, rustic/clean accommodations=CHECK, good food=CHECK, helpful staff=CHECK, a place to totally relax and check out OR be able to get out and do things=CHECK.
This place is perfect for someone who wants to check in with nature and still have the option to plug in(they have wifi). The grounds are gorgeous, the massage I had was the best massage I've ever had and everyone, Scott and the whole crew were friendly, helpful and accommodating. It's not for those who want a lot of action, a bar scene and a sterile hotel.....This place is full of nature, peace and tranquility....until the howler monkeys start going.:)

Room Tip: Flashlights are a must.
  • Stayed: May 2017, traveled solo
Samasati_Retreat, Guest Relations Manager at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2017

Dear LinusB16,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience! We're very happy to hear you enjoyed your visit at Samasati in the Rainforest. It's our pleasure to serve you and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 4, 2017

My ratings of this place would be might higher if I was not bitten in my bed by sand flies and did not develop cutaneous leishmaniasis - tropical infectious disease - from these bites. Also, if property took any responsibility and showed any desire to improve following me sharing my experience with them, my ratings would be much higher. Just, FYI I have 8 non-healing ulcers on my body, some of them got infected with staph, cause it is difficult to keep those kinds of wounds clean and dry. Also, the treatment of leishmaniasis is chemotherapy. I am on my week 2 of a 4-week-ling treatment protocol. So, it is a big deal! The property has a way to prevent it by treating their buildings with insecticides, providing bed nets for each bed and teaching people how to properly use them. But they did not in my case. Neither one of my rooms had a bed net, and I did not know that bed nets were available upon request or that it was important to use them, because the cabins were screened in and I did not see any mosquitoes. I had no idea about the sand flies.
It us a charming rustic place in the middle of the jungle that is not run very responsibly, in my opinion. If you are a savvy traveler very familiar with jungle terrain and different risks it carries, you will probably love it and do well. If this is your first trip to the jungle, I suggest you find a different place. On a positive side, food there is great, views are amazing, wildlife opportunities are abundant, and it is very peaceful during the day. Beautiful spaces for yoga and meditation.
At night, it is a bit scary, as there are storms almost every night and LOTS of wildlife sounds. So, bring ear plugs and give yourself a couple of nights to adjust.

Room Tip: Request a bed net and use it every night. Make sure you tuck it in very securely. Also, it is a good idea to wear a long sleeve shirt and ling pants, both with cuffs to bed
Stayed: February 2017, traveled solo
6  Thank Irina D
Reviewed May 23, 2017

I went to Samasati for a private yoga retreat. I went with plans to restart my yoga practice, regain some flexibility and to do some writing. I did not realize what awaited me in this true retreat. Located on the side of a mountain, in the rain forest, this was a true retreat from the busy, information overload of the 24/7 world.

I met wonderful, caring people and experienced a life-changing 10 days. The staff was exceptional and they took care of me like I was the only person there. From Liseth who booked and managed my trip, while answering my numerous questions, to Elena who brightened each day with her smile and superb attention to my daily requests, to Stephanie, the yoga instructor, who made my yoga experience beyond wonderful, the folks at Samasati made me feel as if I was the most important person around. I could not have asked for a better experience.

I went for purpose of renewing my physical yoga practice. I communicated with Stephanie by email before arriving to let her know my limitations and hopes for the yoga sessions. Stephanie took this information, and after observing me in our first yoga session, from which she wrote 2 pages of notes, she put together a series of sessions that addressed not only my physical practice, but also focused on the mental baggage and weights that I carried and didn't realize were impacting my physical presence. Stephanie designed our 2-a-day sessions to include a variety of yoga forms, breathing exercises and meditations. She was (is), without a doubt, the best yoga teacher I have ever worked with. She has a gift for understanding her students' needs. I was astonished that she could understand my mind (and stress) through observing how I held myself during the yoga practices. Even more, she guided me through a week of yoga that, as I wrote earlier, changed my life. The overall experience reconnected me with me. I have carried the peace and joy of Samasati back into the insane world on Washington DC, and even 6 weeks after my return, I still have the balance and peace that I found at Samasati.

I also had massages with Jessica. She was amazing. She used a variety of modalities to successfully work on years of muscle aches. Absolutely the best massage therapist I have ever worked with. If you go to Samasati, you must schedule a session with Jessica.

Final thoughts, I did not take part in the many day trip options Samasati offers. I didn't go on a rain forest hike or make a trip to the beach. I stayed at Samasati and loved the opportunity to disconnect and decompress. WiFi is available in the private casitas (I stayed in a private preferred casita) and in the restaurant/lounge. I used it to stay in touch with my wife back in the states but otherwise, I didn't bother staying connected to the world for the 10 days of my stay. I highly recommend this approach.

If you are looking for a RESORT experience, Samasati probably isn't for you. There is no swimming pool, no readily available bar, no room service, no air conditioning, no glass in the windows and doors (they have screens), and there is no "night life" partying. There is serenity. You live in the rain forest, you run into all kinds of birds, bugs, and lizards and you hear the Howler Monkeys as the begin their chorus of howls to welcome the sun. You will need your flashlight to walk to your room after dark. You will enjoy excellent vegetarian meals served buffet stye in the open-air restaurant/lounge, and if you are open to the experience, you'll meet interesting, engaging people who will sit for hours after dinner for conversation. What a fantastic experience and so different from the hectic world of modern day life. I loved my time at Samasati and the only regret I have is that I couldn't stay there forever.

Room Tip: The classic/preferred casitas are recommended for their private baths and privacy. More expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2017, traveled solo
Samasati_Retreat, Manager at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2017

Dear miar84,

Thank you so much for taking time to share the details of your personal retreat, this is a wonderful guide for those considering a true escape from the stresses of the world.

We are so grateful for clients that appreciate all that a rainforest immersion has to offer and for our incredible staff who love to love the guests. Your compliments will be passed on to Elena, Tiffany and Stephanie as well as the chef! We hope the well being and inspiration you uncovered at Samasati stay with you forever.

Reviewed May 6, 2017

The food and eating area are fabulous. The casitas are rustic. The location within the rain forest is truly inspirational. I went on a yoga retreat with my daughters and it's an experience we will never forget!

Stayed: April 2017, traveled with family

Dear donnasajdak,

We couldn't be happier to hear that you had an unforgettable retreat with your daughters! Samasati is not a sprawling resort but we focus on those unforgettable basics like nourishment, self care, health & wellness, food, culture and of course access to pristine nature.

We hope to see you and your family again soon!

Reviewed May 5, 2017

I absolutely loved my time at Samasati. The personalized yoga, meditation, consultations, and body treatments were amazing. The chef was very attentive to my dietary restrictions and the casitas were charming. There was a bit of a hiccup regarding my check in and room assignment, but it was taken care of and I was quite satisfied.

Room Tip: Call the reservations line directly and be sure you know what you are booking. As a solo traveler, I was assigned a much smaller (and clearly inferior) cabin upon arrival. All the photos on the website showed a different casita type and what I got was certainly not what I was expecting. They changed my room when I asked and I just had to switch rooms my last night. All good. It seems the reservations dept is remote, in San Jose, and a bit disconnected from the actual property. Just make sure you know what you are getting.
Stayed: April 2017, traveled solo

Dear ebcoyote,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience! We're very happy to hear you enjoyed the yoga, meditation, consultations and treatments, our clients' health and well being is a priority! It's our pleasure to serve you and we hope to see you again soon.