Samasati is beautiful. The management and staff are exceptional, go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible and are incredibly pleasant. My stay was during the 6 month (May - November) rainy season and they are not kidding. It rained all but 2 of the 16 days I was there. My stay was from July 24 - August 9th 2009. I was there with a yoga group of 23 people total. The adventure is real, amazing, exciting and not for the faint of heart.
The food: I am a vegetarian, and the food was phenomenal. I would call it a vegetarian's dream come true. Lots of variety and very tasty. I would actually love to have the recipes.
The wildlife: BRING A MOSQUITO NET! There are scorpions. One was in my shower. It was a black scorpion that frightened the management as the sting is deadly from a baby scorpion and life threatening from an adult unless you can get to medical attention quickly. I questioned if this was a possibility prior to my trip. I was told it used to happen, but hasn't in years. I was assured there were no creatures in the rooms. There is no way to get to medical attention the middle of the night as there are no phones in the rooms and at least a 30 minutes before you can get to the local clinic. There was a tarantula in the coffee cupboard. Someone in my group was bit by a bullet ant. The sting is excruciating for four hours, then no residual effects. A lizard fell on someone during dinner.
The accomodations: The bungalows are essential tents. The space under my "door" was large enough for a squirrel to walk under, the "screens" had holes and the "walls" had gaps. You are basically camping outside in a jungle rainforest.
The result: I cannot recommend this destination, because I believe I was mislead as to what to expect. But if you are into really roughing it and possibly risking your life among wonderful staff in gorgeous surroundings, this is the vacation spot for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary Perched on a magical mountain ridge overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Samasati offers guest house bungalow and casita accommodations just minutes away from the beaches of Puerto Viejo. For over 20 years we have hosted world class retreats, workshops, guest artists and travelers like you! Your stay includes delicious gourmet vegetarian buffet served in our renovated open air restaurant with breathtaking views. Also available on site are healing massage treatments, jacuzzi spa, nature trails, waterfall with natural pool, daily yoga classes and a meditation hall. Tours, excursions and beach shuttles to local attractions are arranged daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samasati Nature Retreat Hotel Puerto Viejo
- Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary Costa Rica/Limon