Samasati is definitely a retreat! I felt like it was great for the first 2 days - but that's pretty much all you need. After that you just feel like you're trapped in the jungle.
-The view was breathtaking
-Waking up to the sound of howling monkeys was so cool
-The staff was really attentive and friendly. <3 Barbara and Cecilia. They made our vacation!
-The food was amazing!!!! I'm not a vegetarian, but everything they had was so delicious!
-The excursions were so much fun! Definitely try their Canopy (Ziplining) tour.
Everything shuts down by 8:45pm. The place is pretty much empty by that time.
We had the Shanti bungalow which is the last one before the "jungle" starts.
There are no lights if you were to walk to the reception area - but a flashlight.
No telephones, no reception, no radio, no tv's. Just you in the dark - so I'm a bit weary if we had an emergency. There's no way to get help. We'd have to run through the woods in the dark to get to the nearest residence which seems pretty far.
- On our last night we decided to see the night life in Puerto Viejo. We can only arrange for a 4x4 if we were to come back pass 9pm. It cost about $10 to get to town, but on the way back he charged me $35. Talk about getting ripped off - and it was the same driver (Gregario) to and from. I felt like we were being taken advantage of because he knew we needed to get back to the resort and he was our only driver. so travelers, beware if you need to go into town after 9pm.
- The toilet was broken every night to have the repair man there every morning to fix it.
- The only way to get to the resort is with a 4x4 - or walk about a mile uphill in the dark if you were to stay pass the time.
In conclusion - I really enjoyed the beautiful country.. Just after 2 days, I really felt trapped in the jungle. So... if you're an outdoorsy type - You'll definitely love this place! But if you just needed to get away for a few days - this is something more than what you're bargaining for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary Perched on a magical mountain ridge overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Samasati offers guest house bungalow and casita accommodations just minutes away from the beaches of Puerto Viejo. For over 20 years we have hosted world class retreats, workshops, guest artists and travelers like you! Your stay includes delicious gourmet vegetarian buffet served in our renovated open air restaurant with breathtaking views. Also available on site are healing massage treatments, jacuzzi spa, nature trails, waterfall with natural pool, daily yoga classes and a meditation hall. Tours, excursions and beach shuttles to local attractions are arranged daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity and TripOnline SA so you can book your Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samasati Nature Retreat Hotel Puerto Viejo
- Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary Costa Rica/Limon