“Definitely a retreat!”

Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Samasati is definitely a retreat! I felt like it was great for the first 2 days - but that's pretty much all you need. After that you just feel like you're trapped in the jungle.

Pros:
-The view was breathtaking
-Waking up to the sound of howling monkeys was so cool
-The staff was really attentive and friendly. <3 Barbara and Cecilia. They made our vacation!
-The food was amazing!!!! I'm not a vegetarian, but everything they had was so delicious!
-The excursions were so much fun! Definitely try their Canopy (Ziplining) tour.

Cons:
Everything shuts down by 8:45pm. The place is pretty much empty by that time.
We had the Shanti bungalow which is the last one before the "jungle" starts.
There are no lights if you were to walk to the reception area - but a flashlight.
No telephones, no reception, no radio, no tv's. Just you in the dark - so I'm a bit weary if we had an emergency. There's no way to get help. We'd have to run through the woods in the dark to get to the nearest residence which seems pretty far.
- On our last night we decided to see the night life in Puerto Viejo. We can only arrange for a 4x4 if we were to come back pass 9pm. It cost about $10 to get to town, but on the way back he charged me $35. Talk about getting ripped off - and it was the same driver (Gregario) to and from. I felt like we were being taken advantage of because he knew we needed to get back to the resort and he was our only driver. so travelers, beware if you need to go into town after 9pm.
- The toilet was broken every night to have the repair man there every morning to fix it.
- The only way to get to the resort is with a 4x4 - or walk about a mile uphill in the dark if you were to stay pass the time.

In conclusion - I really enjoyed the beautiful country.. Just after 2 days, I really felt trapped in the jungle. So... if you're an outdoorsy type - You'll definitely love this place! But if you just needed to get away for a few days - this is something more than what you're bargaining for.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tila-theTraveler
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear,
Thank you for the review. I am sorry you did not enjoy as much Samasati. The location and the fact that we do not have phone and tv and internet in the rooms is what makes it special to us and to many people! We are well equipped for emergencies as we operate since 18 years in the jungle and thousands of people have enjoyed their stay at Samasati. The price of the 4x4 can be negotiated with each taxi driver. I am happy you have enjoyed the food, our wonderful staff and the fantastic excursions you can take form Samasati!
Warm regards

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I booked Samasati via Groupon and had almost no expectations - it turned out to be one of the most wonderful trips I've ever taken. Five days there left me thoroughly refreshed and changed. I am not a vegetarian: Samasati's delicious meals left me full and without cravings - I've come home and completely changed my diet. As an introvert, I typically dine alone: Samasati's welcoming dining area encouraged us to visit with staff and other traveler's - the last night we all sat together, a hard rain washing away all signs of life outside the resort and visited - it was magical. I'm not always the most responsible global citizen: Samasati's low-key commitment to the environment and their perch at the top of the rain forest was truly motivating. I knew very little about Costa Rica: Samasati has multiple opportunities to explore this amazing country and meet the locals - every journey exceeded expectation and left me planning my return.

Room Tip: Be prepared for a truly different experience - this comes from a princess who loves luxury: : The fa...
2  Thank Toni N

Thank you for your review! We look forward to have you back at Samasati soon again!!
Warm regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Samasati is the place to go if you know you need to get away from the daily grind and restore your energy. I went after 5 years of intense life stress and I feel amazingly renewed. It's not just the beauty of the place which is phenomenal and has a therapeutic impact every time you look around. The food made me feel healthy and strong every day. Looking out on the ocean at each meal and watching parrots and iguana in the trees I felt closer to the Earth than I have in a long time. There is tons of privacy and space to be alone in the rainforest and experience it uninterrupted. At the same time the social aspect is truly delightful. I made new friends each day and had such long lovely conversations over coffee and wine with the view and fresh air and all possibilities of the area to explore. You could come here solo and have a great balance of me and social time, it would be incredibly romantic to unplug and come here as a couple and we went as a group of more than ten and had hearty laughs every day over the meals. From here you are in the perfect perch to explore all the wonderful aspects of the area without having to be based out of the party-stoner-surfer scene of Puerto Viejo ( which you can go visit anytime).

2  Thank WanderfullLife
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I randomly booked Samasati, and in hindsight, I'm not even sure i know why.. I guess the price was right, and the words "cabin" and "jungle" kind of impressed me, but I lucked out big time. It was exactly what i needed.. When I got there, i ended up extending my stay because i absolutely fell in love with the place. I did NOT see that coming.

Samasati is a Nature retreat. if you've never been in one, you are in for the shock of your life. You arrive at Puerto Viejo, and after a 10 minute cab ride you arrive at the hotel office. When I arrived, they were expecting me to give me a "ride to my room" (gives you an idea of how personal the place is). That was my first "say whaat?!" moment.. what did they mean a ride to my room?

.. so my daughter and I get in the truck, after passing their private gate, and we proceed to climb 2 kilometers uphill, in a dark gravel road surrounded by jungle, finally arriving at "reception".. there, I'm given a map, a list of the services, including massage, yoga classes, tours and more. there are trails to take in the general area, and there is a brief discussion about safety, including monkeys, sloths, fire ants and poison-dart frogs.

Second "say what??" moment.. this is THE JUNGLE. no joke.

We proceed to have dinner which I didn't realize was vegetarian (i didnt bother to read anything before arrival) ... and it was DELICIOUS. Surprisingly so. I went with my 9yr old kid and she loved the food too..again, surprisingly.. the other guests were extremely friendly, and it was common to hear stories about their days, who did what, how it went, what they recommended... very cool dining experience.

Finally, time to head to our cabin, which i believe was called "Namaste 1".. about a 10 minute walk from the receptions... THAT is when i realized the purpose of Samasati. This is where you come to find your place in the universe, and i mean this technically, not philosophically. The cabins are all wood, covered by the jungle canopy. Mine had a STUNNING unobstructed view of the town, the ocean, and the jungle. You cant help but consider how minuscule you are in the context of the vastness of nature. To sit surrounded by the howling of monkeys and the sounds of the jungle is all-consuming. the scents, the air, the temperature (cool enough to not need AC at all.. the provided fans are just perfect) and the moon were...overwhelming. It's a rare experience for someone who has been busy thinking about the past and the future to have to.. NEED to.. focus on the present.. The nature at this retreat demands attention.

I had the WEIRDEST dreams in Samasati. I was told the reason for this (by one of the locals) is that the jungle sounds stimulate areas of your subconscious that you're not used to using. I don't doubt it. Weird dreams got weirder as the nights passed, and stopped when I left.

Honestly, talking about the accommodations i feel almost cheapens the experience. The beds are clean and comfortable, the linens of a good quality, the place spotless, the bathroom , though shared with another cabin downstairs, was always clean and our usage never overlapped. there is NO internet access except all the way at the main gate, about 2KM away, but i think it's a good decision. Also, there is a hot tub, but it was broken during my stay.. bummer.

Come here for the soul searching: what you find might surprise you. it's easy to get to town, and they'll give you a ride back and forth on the truck so you can catch a cab. Food is superb, Puerto Viejo is FUN, and you can do all the tourist things there before heading back to your haven.

Room Tip: you have to choose between view and convenience.. bring a flashlight and go for view, it's worth...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Saida A
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Dear,
Thank you for your review! I am very delighted of how much you were able to absorb and enjoy all Samasati has to offer. It is a magical place. Sorry about the jacuzzi ... we have had problems with in on and off for a while now. We have finally found the solution and it is ready again to be enjoyed by all the visitors! I look forward to have you back!!
Kind regards,

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Wau what a great place to do vacation beautiful jungle
Super nice house ….ocean view ……lots of birds and butterflies
The hole family loved it …. Yoga and vegetarian restaurant next door…..

Thank you ….for building such a lovely place ……
Love Peter

Room Tip: Dragon house has a great ocean view......a beautiful house ....lots of space......
2  Thank berryd905
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

What a life changing experience! We stumbled upon Samasti through a Living Social deal and boy are we happy we bought it! I can't rave enough about the food and the staff! Just amazing. We will most defiantly be visiting again and can't wait!!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I just came back from Samasati, I had a great time and I highly recommend this hotel - the location is beautiful, very quiet and with fantastic views of the ocean. I thought the food was delicious, and I am not even vegetarian. My accommodation was great, I spent quite a bit of time just hanging on the hammock in the veranda taking in the surroundings. I have never slept so good in any vacation I remember. The beaches I went to during the day are some of the best beaches I have ever been to, and I have been everywhere in Asia and Southern Europe. I enjoyed doing yoga in the evening, just before dinner - the morning class was so early for me. I have never felt so relaxed and rejuvenated after a vacation, so I am already planning to go back next year, maybe with a small group of friends or even join one of the yoga weeks they have- they seemed to offer an interesting combination of activities. And one more thing: great attention to the client. I read one of the past reviews that speaks so poorly about management so I feel obliged to say that my experience was the opposite: very lovely local staff, I was treated very well and got everything I had asked for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a ocean view or for one of the rooms in Namaste House.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo