“A breath of fresh air to clear off the stress of daily life.”

Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary
South Bend, Indiana
“A breath of fresh air to clear off the stress of daily life.”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Samasati is the place to go if you know you need to get away from the daily grind and restore your energy. I went after 5 years of intense life stress and I feel amazingly renewed. It's not just the beauty of the place which is phenomenal and has a therapeutic impact every time you look around. The food made me feel healthy and strong every day. Looking out on the ocean at each meal and watching parrots and iguana in the trees I felt closer to the Earth than I have in a long time. There is tons of privacy and space to be alone in the rainforest and experience it uninterrupted. At the same time the social aspect is truly delightful. I made new friends each day and had such long lovely conversations over coffee and wine with the view and fresh air and all possibilities of the area to explore. You could come here solo and have a great balance of me and social time, it would be incredibly romantic to unplug and come here as a couple and we went as a group of more than ten and had hearty laughs every day over the meals. From here you are in the perfect perch to explore all the wonderful aspects of the area without having to be based out of the party-stoner-surfer scene of Puerto Viejo ( which you can go visit anytime).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank WanderfullLife

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Greenbelt, Maryland, United States
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I randomly booked Samasati, and in hindsight, I'm not even sure i know why.. I guess the price was right, and the words "cabin" and "jungle" kind of impressed me, but I lucked out big time. It was exactly what i needed.. When I got there, i ended up extending my stay because i absolutely fell in love with the place. I did NOT see that coming.

Samasati is a Nature retreat. if you've never been in one, you are in for the shock of your life. You arrive at Puerto Viejo, and after a 10 minute cab ride you arrive at the hotel office. When I arrived, they were expecting me to give me a "ride to my room" (gives you an idea of how personal the place is). That was my first "say whaat?!" moment.. what did they mean a ride to my room?

.. so my daughter and I get in the truck, after passing their private gate, and we proceed to climb 2 kilometers uphill, in a dark gravel road surrounded by jungle, finally arriving at "reception".. there, I'm given a map, a list of the services, including massage, yoga classes, tours and more. there are trails to take in the general area, and there is a brief discussion about safety, including monkeys, sloths, fire ants and poison-dart frogs.

Second "say what??" moment.. this is THE JUNGLE. no joke.

We proceed to have dinner which I didn't realize was vegetarian (i didnt bother to read anything before arrival) ... and it was DELICIOUS. Surprisingly so. I went with my 9yr old kid and she loved the food too..again, surprisingly.. the other guests were extremely friendly, and it was common to hear stories about their days, who did what, how it went, what they recommended... very cool dining experience.

Finally, time to head to our cabin, which i believe was called "Namaste 1".. about a 10 minute walk from the receptions... THAT is when i realized the purpose of Samasati. This is where you come to find your place in the universe, and i mean this technically, not philosophically. The cabins are all wood, covered by the jungle canopy. Mine had a STUNNING unobstructed view of the town, the ocean, and the jungle. You cant help but consider how minuscule you are in the context of the vastness of nature. To sit surrounded by the howling of monkeys and the sounds of the jungle is all-consuming. the scents, the air, the temperature (cool enough to not need AC at all.. the provided fans are just perfect) and the moon were...overwhelming. It's a rare experience for someone who has been busy thinking about the past and the future to have to.. NEED to.. focus on the present.. The nature at this retreat demands attention.

I had the WEIRDEST dreams in Samasati. I was told the reason for this (by one of the locals) is that the jungle sounds stimulate areas of your subconscious that you're not used to using. I don't doubt it. Weird dreams got weirder as the nights passed, and stopped when I left.

Honestly, talking about the accommodations i feel almost cheapens the experience. The beds are clean and comfortable, the linens of a good quality, the place spotless, the bathroom , though shared with another cabin downstairs, was always clean and our usage never overlapped. there is NO internet access except all the way at the main gate, about 2KM away, but i think it's a good decision. Also, there is a hot tub, but it was broken during my stay.. bummer.

Come here for the soul searching: what you find might surprise you. it's easy to get to town, and they'll give you a ride back and forth on the truck so you can catch a cab. Food is superb, Puerto Viejo is FUN, and you can do all the tourist things there before heading back to your haven.

Room Tip: you have to choose between view and convenience.. bring a flashlight and go for view, it's worth...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Saida A
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear,
Thank you for your review! I am very delighted of how much you were able to absorb and enjoy all Samasati has to offer. It is a magical place. Sorry about the jacuzzi ... we have had problems with in on and off for a while now. We have finally found the solution and it is ready again to be enjoyed by all the visitors! I look forward to have you back!!
Kind regards,
atlanta
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Wau what a great place to do vacation beautiful jungle
Super nice house ….ocean view ……lots of birds and butterflies
The hole family loved it …. Yoga and vegetarian restaurant next door…..

Thank you ….for building such a lovely place ……
Love Peter

Room Tip: Dragon house has a great ocean view......a beautiful house ....lots of space......
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank berryd905
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

What a life changing experience! We stumbled upon Samasti through a Living Social deal and boy are we happy we bought it! I can't rave enough about the food and the staff! Just amazing. We will most defiantly be visiting again and can't wait!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I just came back from Samasati, I had a great time and I highly recommend this hotel - the location is beautiful, very quiet and with fantastic views of the ocean. I thought the food was delicious, and I am not even vegetarian. My accommodation was great, I spent quite a bit of time just hanging on the hammock in the veranda taking in the surroundings. I have never slept so good in any vacation I remember. The beaches I went to during the day are some of the best beaches I have ever been to, and I have been everywhere in Asia and Southern Europe. I enjoyed doing yoga in the evening, just before dinner - the morning class was so early for me. I have never felt so relaxed and rejuvenated after a vacation, so I am already planning to go back next year, maybe with a small group of friends or even join one of the yoga weeks they have- they seemed to offer an interesting combination of activities. And one more thing: great attention to the client. I read one of the past reviews that speaks so poorly about management so I feel obliged to say that my experience was the opposite: very lovely local staff, I was treated very well and got everything I had asked for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a ocean view or for one of the rooms in Namaste House.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jmill2013
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Samasati offered more than one could every experience anywhere else. The beauty of nature was appreciated in its entirely. It gives you a chance to slow down and realize that life is what you make of it. I truly was given the opportunity to appreciate what I have and not to take things for granted. The staff, food, bungalows, wildlife, and the smell of the air was simply amazing. Gathering together at dinner to discuss your day and to share your inner thoughts was enjoyable. I learned so much and established relationships that will last a lifetime. If you're looking for a mind, body, and soul experience then you must visit Samasati nature retreat! You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Sassyfrasrn
SilviaZani1, Owner at Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear,
Thank you for writing your review. I am delighted you could fully enjoy your stay in Costa Rica and the beauties Samasati has to offer. I hope you will soon come back and stay with us again!
Kind regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Positives: In August of 2013, I stayed at Samasati for a week. Samasati is a well designed retreat in the jungle with breathtaking views. Toucans, parrots, hummingbirds and scores of other birds were right outside my bungalow. Not to mention the Morpho butterfly that fluttered by each morning making her rounds around the property - absolutely beautiful. I enjoy the natural jungle environment and did not, at all, mind hearing the howler monkeys and other creatures; I actually found it rejuvenating. Being a vegetarian, I was pleased to not have to worry about having animal flesh, stock, bones, or skin used in my meals. Overall the staff was good and fairly pleasant. Barbara, at reception, was exceptional. I found her to be professional, pleasant, industrious, and in possession of a wonderful sense of humor. Also, Lisette in the reservation office was excellent.

Negatives: Samasati is located on a mountain side and, while beautiful, requires a 4x4 vehicle to access. The shuttle provided by Samasati leaves the property at 10:00am and picks you up at 3:00pm in Puerto Viejo. This is not at all enough time to enjoy a full day at the beach with shopping and lunch or even a night in the rustic, seaside village of Puerto Viejo. Taxis from the village/town back to Samasati's entrance cost about $10.USD but after approximately 8:00pm it is not possible to get a ride up the mountainside back to the main property. Perhaps offering an additional pickup time at 6:00pm as well as offering drop-off and pickup on a Friday and/or Saturday night may be something to consider.

The meals lacked natural vegetarian protein e.g. legumes, quinoa, or a fruit that grows in the Caribbean known as Peewah. The packed lunch that was offered by Samasati was, for me, inedible. Samasati could do better by offering veggie sandwiches in pita bread or veggie burritos.

The bungalow I stayed in could have used a thorough cleaning and airing out prior to my arrival as it smelled musty. The staff responded well to my request for additional cleaning and the smell improved. The property appears to be aging and needs some attention in the maintenance of the bungalows e.g. repair to screens, doors, etc. While I was at Samasati, the Jacuzzi was closed for repairs. I spoke to someone who spent a month at the property who said that it was not working when she arrived - very disappointing as there is no swimming pool on the property.

I have stayed at one other yoga nature retreat that was also in the Caribbean jungle and found that to be superior to Samasati in upkeep and condition of the property and meals, hence my rating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Veggie NYC T
Dear,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry Samasati did not meet your expectations. Being one of the owners of the project, I can reassure you that we are constantly investing in the infrastructures so that Samasati is the Nature Retreat that claims to be, comfortable, clean, promoting an healthy lifestyle and that we take feed backs very seriously to constantly improve our services. All this said, I hope that over all your time was enjoyable.
Kind regards
#3 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Caribe Town
Caribe Town
#1 of 8 in Cocles

Been to Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary? Share your experiences!