Thanks to Groupon, we found ourselves at this Yoga retreat resort. The trip included a 5 night stay, all meals and two yoga classes at a very reasonable price. When I went on the website I actually found that I didn't necessarily need the Groupon to get the deal as they regularly run specials. The resort is very secluded in the rainforest at the top of a hill. The bungalows are open with mesh netting all around so you can see and hear your surroundings. You feel one with nature and it was very clean and comfortable. The first thing we saw was a big group of people who were there for Yoga Instructor Training. At first we were very intimidated and thought "what did we get ourselves into?". While we are active people who like to take the occasional yoga class or hike, we are by no means yoga experts. However, we were quickly put at ease by all the welcoming and friendly staff. We were assured that the group had their own program and would not be in the regularly offered yoga classes...phew! The yoga classes were great and the instructor is also the message therapist on staff.
The staff assisted us with setting up excursions and transportation to town, etc. We went ziplining (awesome), on a boat, snorkeled and had a tour of the National park (also recommended). But one of the highlights of the entire trip was a day when we took the shuttle to town, rented bikes (for $4 for the day!) and biked to the Jaguar Rescue Center in Playa Chiquita. There was an entry fee of $15 if I recall correctly. The knowledgable volunteers took you on a tour of the sanctuary and told you all about the animal residents. There was also a monkey area where you can go in and mingle with the monkeys, priceless experience. I would highly recommend that on your trip!! If you miss the shuttle back it's only about $10 to get a cab back.
Back at the resort, there are also many trials to explore on your own.
THE FOOD IS AMAZING!!! I wanted the recipe of just about every meal! We are vegetarians and were happy to go to a resort that served only vegetarian food, but you do not have to be vegetarian to enjoy these amazing meals! We looked forward to going to every meal to see what would be served!
You have to realize, you will be in the rainforest, so it will be DAMP! After a few days we found that all of our clothes felt a little damp and if you went swimming, forget it, that's going to stay wet for the entire trip so bring plastic bags to keep them separate from other clothes. Or bring a hair dryer to dry them. Wifi was available at the bottom of the hill so you would just have to ask the staff for a ride down and back. I think it's about a mile or so.
Overall, we had a wonderful time and would recommend it but you have to know what to expect- yoga, nature, relaxation or adventure and great food...not your hot, sunny all-inclusive party vacation. If you want that, stay in town (or on the other side of the country). We probably wouldn't have gone if it wasn't for Groupon but I'm happy we had this experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary Perched on a magical mountain ridge overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Samasati offers guest house bungalow and casita accommodations just minutes away from the beaches of Puerto Viejo. For over 20 years we have hosted world class retreats, workshops, guest artists and travelers like you! Your stay includes delicious gourmet vegetarian buffet served in our renovated open air restaurant with breathtaking views. Also available on site are healing massage treatments, jacuzzi spa, nature trails, waterfall with natural pool, daily yoga classes and a meditation hall. Tours, excursions and beach shuttles to local attractions are arranged daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Travelocity so you can book your Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samasati Nature Retreat Hotel Puerto Viejo
- Samasati Retreat & Rainforest Sanctuary Costa Rica/Limon