“Great placeto go”
Review of Hotel Perla Negra

Hotel Perla Negra
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Home away from home in the middle of a jungle !!!!!!
Great stuff, great vibes !!!!
Everything about this hotel was great !!!!
If you are looking for a 5 star hotel, then this is not it, but if you are looking for good vibes, nice people, relaxed and friendly - this is it !!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 28, 2012

La Perla Negra is a beautiful, laidback hotel nestled between the jungle and (literally) across the road from the beach. The rooms are clean and well-kept, the staff is super friendly (and they speak English!), the free breakfast is fresh, hot, and delicious, and the location cannot be beat if you're looking for a place to unwind and live la pura vida. The vibrant streets of Puerto Viejo are just a short stroll down the black-sand beach. All in all, the hotel's atmosphere is homey even as it captures the essence of life on the Caribbean.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room with a balcony facing the ocean. The room didn't have A/C, but between the f...
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My daughter and I had the great fortune to stay at the La Perla Negra hotel in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica. Built 20 years ago by Marlena and Julian Grae, it was a highlight of our Caribbean vacation. Just 50 meters from a wonderful beach, the hotel is clean, the staff exceptional, and Marlena and Julian perfect hosts.

Many of its guests book year-after-year and we'll be no exception.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

My son and I just returned from La Perla Negra and it was awesome. If you're expecting a 5 star hotel, you're in the wrong place, but if you're looking for clean rooms, nice views and excellent staff, you've found your place!! Sure the place could use a bit of updating, new linens, etc, but it was totally fine for us. The staff were always busy doing something on the grounds and were so very welcoming and helpful. The breakfasts were great and the front desk was always helpful, even driving us to town when we asked for them to call us a cab. Everyone always had a smile on their face. They even went as far as to send breakfast up for my son when he didn't come down with me because he didn't want to get up, or the staff would spend a couple hours with him in the evenings playing pool, which my son always enjoyed.

It's about a 20 minute walk into town if you walk on the beach, but it's a really nice walk, a cab from town back (recommended after dark) only cost us $2000 colones ($4 US). The town itself is a bit of a tourist trap but there are a few good places to eat that were very reasonable. The water at the hotel is perfectly fine to drink, both my son and myself drank it the whole time we were there with no ill effects. There was no air conditioning in our room, but we found we really didn't need it, we just had the fan on and the balcony doors open at night for the ocean breeze, and it was fine. I have no complaints at all about our stay here, and would definitely stay again and recommend it to anyone who is ok with a laid back, low key, unpretentious kind of place. I loved everything about this place and have memories for a lifetime from our stay there. Hoping to be back in the next couple of years if possible!!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Shortly after arriving at our disgusting hotel, my group started desperately calling for an open room and were recommended to the Perla Negra (which is literally right on the beach). Even though it was past 10:30 pm, the hotel manager was so kind and welcoming. He could obviously tell I was a little exasperated and after showing us the room said to make ourselves at home and not worry about checking in or payments until morning. The room was great! Pretty average for most hotels in that area but still very clean and comfortable. The following morning the manager again told us to not worry about payments until after we ate breakfast. (Which was delicious and included!) It was also cheaper than our original hotel which was not beach front and dirty. We were only there the weekend before returning 4 hours back to San Jose but Monday evening I realized I had lost my passport. When I called the hotel the same manager immediately knew who I was and said he had my passport and had tried to get a hold of me but didn't know how. He ended up going out of his way to find a tourist group that was headed to San Jose and sent my passport with them. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable stay as well as a honest/trustworthy and kind staff! I will definitely be staying here the next time I visit!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Wow my gf and I were so lucky to find this place, our original place to stay from Air B&B was such a joke and everything was broken and it was gross and dirty. All the guys who work at Perla Negra were awesome, so friendly and accommodating, the FREE breakfast in the morning was to die for as well, every morning was the same food buffet but it was so good! The rooms were nice and roomy too, and the pool was nice and clean. We really liked how it was literally yards from the beach. Not far from the little Puerto Viejo DT area, you could walk there or a short bike ride, there's a full bar and free pool table as well. I'm not kidding I would love to stay at this Hotel for weeks and weeks, and cheaper than the Banana Azul which is next door too. The people at Banana Azul were awesome as well, they let us use all thier ammenites as well and we ate dinner over at Banana Azul which was excellent bc Perla Negra only does breakfast. I seriously can't think of anything negative to say about Perla Negra.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Perla Negra is such a beautiful hotel!!! the rooms are beautifully set up, all wooden walls, very clean and easy on the eyes. I love the service we got there also, the people are very nice and so so helpful. They arranged an awesome all day Rainforest tour for us!!! and we had a blast!!!! They arranged a massage session for us also...pretty much anything we ask they were ready to help. They wanted to make sure we had a wonderful time in Puerto Viejo and we certainly did!! This hotel feels like home really, the people are like family...easy to talk to. I would recommend Perla Negra Hotel for everyone and I WILL GO BACK!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends