“Nice Location”
Review of Hotel Perla Negra

Hotel Perla Negra
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Very Nice location - The Staff is very nice and helpfull and made a great effort to make our stay plesent. You have to rent a bike or take taxi to get into town. By foot it takes around 25 minutes.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here and enjoyed it. While it is a little "rough around the edges", the rooms are relatively nice and clean, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. We didn't take advantage of all of the amenities, but it is right next to the beach and in a quiet location (except for the ocean sounds, which only served to relax us). The person at the desk helped us arrange a tour and provided us with suggestions as where to eat. A note about food- if you want to eat lunch or dinner there you have to ask them early in the day as they don't have regular service aside from breakfast. That said, we like to roam around so that didn't bother us.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2012

La Perla Negra was a great stay for us in Puerto Viejo. Right on the beach, free breakfast every morning. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only suggestion I would make would be to get some new bedding. Those sheets and comforters are way past their time. If I were staying there again, I'd make a note of it and bring my own linens...but I would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2011

My boyfriend and I went to Costa Rica for a romantic getaway. We stayed in Perla Negra for my birthday. Unfortunatly I couldn´t sleep all night because there was a huge bat colony in our room. They flew all around the room and were even in the shower! We could hear more of them in the walls. It was obvous that this wasn´t unlucky because there were huge gaps in the walls were they flew in and out. When we went down to complain, the front desk was closed for the night. So we ended up sitting outside with all the spiders and frogs who occupied the pool area at night. When we got to shower in another room I had to stand on my toes because it was so discusting! And I grew up on a farm where I work in cow menure!!

The location was beautifull and you could go right into the ocean. BUT you could do the same thing from Banana Azul. We ate dinner there one night (they didn´t serve it at PN) and we regretted not staying there. It´s the same price and a million times better. We only stayed at Perla Negra one night! And I don´t wish it on anyone!

We talked to people around town and they said that the owner is never there and doesn´t care about it. So it´s no wonder it´s so terrible!! The service was better when we slept in tents in Peru! The standard was better at a hostel in San Jose where we shared a room with 6 people!!! I could go on and on about how terrible it was!

The only thing I could say is that the place has great potensial! Seing as the location is perfect!! And the rooms wouldn´t be that bad if they just took care of them!

Room Tip: None of them
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stilev
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Great vacation spot... ocean right across the street and staff available for massage and yoga classes. Beautifully rustic settings with nice pool.

Room Tip: Short ride (2 miles) to center of town... cabs available.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 2, 2011

All my needs and arrangements where where provided in professional manner. Excellent manager, cook and room service. I could converse in several languages.
Edward Solarewicz
Fair Oaks, California

Room Tip: best rooms on second floor and condominiums
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Edward606
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I don't where to start and where to finish with this hotel. The polish guy at the front desk is amazing. Extremely helpful and went out of his way to accommodate you. he is the man. The breakfast is tasty and simple, with exquisite fruit. The yoga master from Canada is sent from heaven with relaxation vibes. He brings out your inner senses. (what's up yoga master Cyprus awaits you).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends