“I love Manu Yoga!”
Review of Manu Yoga Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Manu Yoga Village
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I had such an amazing experience at Manu Yoga. It is so close off the main road from Puerto Viejo and it's amazing how much wildlife you see on the 10 minute walk to the studio! So many pretty butterfies and colorful frogs! The owners are absolutely lovely. I took a class from a guest teacher named Alison. She was AMAZING. After the class we participated in a sauna, which was one of the highlights of my trips to Costa Rica. The owners built the structure, and it's gorgeous. They provided beet and ginger juice after the sauna which was integral to the cleansing process of the evening, and it was delicious!
If you are a yoga teacher and are considering renting a space for teacher training, think about here... I highly recommend Manu Yoga.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Manu Yoga Village

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Manu Yoga Village is located off of the main road, about a 10 minute hike thru a jungle path. It is very quiet, except for the sounds of the jungle and ocean waves. There are 4 or 5 cabins on the property, they are small & basic, but very clean & comfortable. They have full/queen size beds with mosquito netting. The bathrooms are shared and are a short walk from the cabins. There is also a natural sauna on the property, which is very nice. There is a community kitchen, for vegetarian meals, a nice perk since eating out can get expensive. It can be dark at night, so I would reccommend bringing a small flashlish or headlamp.
The yoga platform is made of recycled wood from a manu tree that fell down naturally on the property. It has a view of the jungle and amazing energy. They offer classes, but you can also use if to practice on your own.
The owners are an italian couple, who speak english and have lived in the area for many years. They could not be nicer or more helpful.
Overall, I would recommend Manu Yoga if you are looking for quiet, clean accommodations.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 420,420
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We arrived there by biking, as it is a very hard walk up the hill, but there was nobody to welcome us. It was getting dark and we found the place frightening because it was so isolated. We found the bungalow, but it was too basic even for us, and we are accustomed to simple accommodations while backpacking. We then realized there was no bathroom in the house. I would never go out into the jungle at night to find an outhouse. So, we just ran away.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Austin A
Marco O, Owner at Manu Yoga Village, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Hello Mr Austin,
is Marco writing, one of the owners of Manu' Yoga Village.
First I would like to thank you for your visit (even if it was an unfortunate one), and also for your posting as it gives me the opportunity to explain what our place is really about.
We are not your regular hotel with a receptionist and stuff, we are a family run business that gives hospitality to yoga people on a beautiful natural environment. We also organize health and well-being related activities. Frequent guests of our center are toucans, sloths, monkeys, wattusas, squirrels, rabbits, parrots, oropendulas...
All our guests, including humans, are allowed to pick and eat fruits from the trees in our garden... courtesy, of course, of mother nature (mangos, bananas, pawpaws, akis, cashews, mamones, caimitos, mameys, pipas etc.)
People staying with us like to keep a little distance from noises (cars, bars, loud speakers or partying crowd). 500 mt. from the beach and "everything" (only the last 100 of which being uphill) is really the minimum. It is also the minimum to start getting a little jungle feel. If you chronometer, it is only a 15 minutes walk (4 minutes if you have a car) to get from our place to the beach and bars and stuff.
You are right pointing at the fact that in some occasions no humans are around, only nature and God. That's because sometimes we are in town taking care of family staff or playing (we are musicians), our guests may be at the beach, and the place might be watched just by our universal guardians, energy beings that will keep it safe for us. Anyway, should someone show up when we are not around we have a cell number written on our sign, they just need to call us from the nearest phone and we'll arrange an easy check-in.
Our bungalows are simple, you are right again, but our guests get all they need in order to sleep comfortably, safe and clean, or, daytime, cozily hang out on their veranda. Plus we are adding artwork and accessories, rooms already look different then when you saw them last. Bathrooms and kitchen are shared, 30 mt away from the bungalows, and nice cement walkways lead you there (could you see them? They are behind the sauna). It is a little like staying in a camping, that's also why our prices are so low (even lower for volunteers who like to do some work).
And for those who need more privacy, architectural beauty and full comfort, we have a really refined and elegant suite at a little distance from the bungalows area. You would have liked it sir, sorry I had no opportunity to show it to you.
What else can I say?
I spent a decent part of my life traveling and I tried to learn as much as I could about hospitality. I'll keep learning, thanks to you as well.
About hotels though I do have my little tip to share with our travelers community, and being this my preference on accommodations it says a lot about my place as well. Out of all the hotels I visited in over 50 different countries around the world I find the very best one to be the "million stars hotel". Where is it? Well... it is just an expression... to see it you need to spend a night in the desert with the Bedouins. You'll have just a mat to lay on and a few covers on top, and there will be a huge sky full of stars as a roof, nothing else. It is kind of basic, I'll give you that, but you'll touch the universe with your fingers, the experience will stay with you for the rest of your life. It is by far the best hotel ever created on earth.
Our place is not as beautiful and pure as "the million stars hotel", we introduced a lot of man-made structures, but Costa Rican nature is among the sweetest in the world and we try to keep ourselves as close as possible to it's genuine feel.
peace,
Marco Orlandelli

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stayed at Manu YOga for two nights. It was wonderful. 500m up on a hill, away from any noises other then the jungle and you can still hear the ocean. The owners of the place are very friendly and helpful. You have a a great space for your own yoga practise and a kitchen area.
Manu Yoga is a simple accomodation, so people preferring luxurious resorts, this is not your place.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo