“Great Value, Great Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Hidden Jungle Beach House
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Great Value, Great Stay”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This little house will reward you with an authentic, peaceful jungle stay. Although it feels like it's right in the middle of the jungle it actually is only a few minutes away walking from all the shops, cafes, bars, restaurants and all this while preserving the peace that should be there while staying near the jungle.

The host Lisa is really great and helpful and will make you feel right at home.

A big tip, rent the bikes from Lisa and cycle down towards Manzanillo with a stop in the Refugee, easily a huge highlight from our stay in the area. We saw a big group of monkeys and turtles while cycling, and of course tons of lizards, birds, grasshoppers etc

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thanks for the nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed my place and felt at home. And that was a good tip - to rent bikes and go to Manzanillo. There are some great activities to do along the way and on a bike you can see everything. I especially like the Jaguar Wild Animal Refuge, that you mentioned.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ventura, California
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Just finished an amazing four day stay at Lisa's place in Puerto Viejo. It was the cutest house with so much personality - safe and tucked away a short walk outside of town. With Playa Negra right across the road and all the other beaches and shopping so accessible it was truly the perfect location. The house itself is really cute and very comfortable. The two dogs, Sativa and Santos keep it protected and Lisa creates a truly homelike feel. She was wonderful in so many ways and so helpful and informative. If you find yourself in Puerto Viejo, please do yourself a favor and stay here. You will not regret it. Within the first few hours we decided to spend all of our nights here and we usually move around a lot more than that
Pura Vida!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amber H
vida_nueva_lisa, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Many thanks for your nice review! It was so nice to have you here. I try to make the place homey for everyone. When you have a guest house it really is like having friends over to visit. I hope you can come back!
Ventura, Ca.
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I recommend the HIdden Jungle beach house to any woman who is traveling to Costa Rica. You will feel very safe with two big German Shepards to protect you on the property. This place is not for sissy girls, you must be okay with jungle bugs visiting (the kitchen is al fresco). My friend and i were very happy lounging in the hammocks, walking a short walk to the black sand beach, and doing yoga down the street. The guest home is run by a lovely, kind and sweet woman. Our room was cute and colorful and bed covered in bug netting. From the kitchen we saw a Sloth in a tree with its baby on our first day and two big Vultures on our last day as well as an Iguana. Two small geckos were found daily in our restroom, we got used to them and said hello. Don't be afraid, embrace the jungle life.

Room Tip: Expect small rooms and expect to not spend much time in your room. You will love exploring the town...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you much for your very sweet review, Jillian. It was nice to have you here. Yes, my place is a traditional Caribbean home - very open to the jungle. You are immersed in nature here. And yes, the rooms are small. I try to make them as comfortable as possible but there are also several lounging areas with hammocks and chairs where you can sit and read or nap, embraced by the plants and animals.
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I needed to find a place to stay pretty quickly upon arriving in Puerto Viejo and once I took a tour of Lisa's house, I knew this was the right place to stay. It is located really close to the town of Puerto Viejo and is safe and pretty well lit. The house is cozy and relaxing and a great place to stay to drink a cup of coffee on the porch and listen to the sounds of nature. The beach is also just right across the street.
Lisa is a great host and VERY helpful and kind. If you have any questions at all she is the right person to go to. She has tons of information on any and everything about Puerto Viejo and I am reallyyy happy I found her when I did. Perfect place to stay if it is your first or 50th time in Puerto Viejo. :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Lisa V, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for the really nice review! I am so glad you felt at home, after all, Hidden Jungle Beach House is MY home and I want everyone who comes here to feel that it is their home, too. It was so nice having you stay here for the month. I wish there was a place where hotel owners could review their visitors. You would get 5 stars!
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is the perfect place to stay if you want to relax right next to the beach. The house is set back from the main road by about 200m, making it very private, and much safer. However, it's only a few blocks away from downtown, making it easy to get to all e fun spots

Also, it's about 250m from the beach, so my girlfriend and I would make the 2 minute walk over to Playa Negra every day. Playa negra, being just outside of the true downtown, has fewer people on it, which is great

While it's a little bit more money than staying at a place like Rockin Js, it's so much quieter. My girlfriend and I loved it because we could head to the bars (or even Rockin Js one night to meet up with friends and experience the party over there) but we could then leave it all behind and come back to our nice, quiet, house.

Having a full kitchen is awesome, it left us more money to go explore in town, since we ate so many meals at the house

Lisa, the owner, is very on top of things, and always available to help and answer questions, but she definitely has her way of doing things

Our only complaint was that when the house was full, everyone was living on top of each other, because the walls are so thin, that you can hear conversations that are going on upstairs. Also, if any housemates dont get along, that could be awkward. However, if you are going with a group of friends, this would not be a problem, and, regardless, is is our one and only (small) complaint!

If you are going to Puerto Viejo, which you should if you're going to costa rica, then Hidden Jungle is a great place to stay

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisa V, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thanks for the nice review. I'm glad you liked my place. True the rooms are small - but there are only 4 of them and often we are not full, so there has never been any problem with sound carrying and bothering anyone, as fart as I know. I do ask people to keep quiet hours before 9 a.m. and after 10 p.m. One more thing - we are only 50 meters from the beach - not 250 :)
Gallarate, Italy
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed here just for one night because I had a pretty busy itinerary to follow, but I would had like to spend more days. The hostel is easy to reach if you ask the bus driver to drop you off at Kaya's Place (not my case though, he drop me off to far!) but I called Lisa on the phone and she guided me step to step! The hostel is located just 5 minutes walking outside Puerto Viejo, in front of Playa Negra (Black Beach).
The place was clean and comfy, with a mosquito net covering the bed, here you HAVE to have one if you wanna sleep. The mattress was a bit humid though, but in this part of Costa Rica humidity is a must have! There was a fan in the room, a very good thing to have. The kitchen is well furnished and there's a supermarket where you can buy food just few minutes away.
Lisa is a very nice person, she helped me a lot finding activities to do close to Puerto Viejo like the Jaguar Rescue Center, just 15 minutes away. I also rented a bike from her to reach Punta Uva, a great Caribbean beach 30 minutes away from Puerto Viejo. She also helped me calling a taxi to reach the Rescue Center, that morning was pouring down!
This place definitely deserve a try!! :)

Room Tip: Rooms have big windows with a great nature view!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank GuendalinaDS
Thanks for the nice review! I'm glad you enjoyed my place.

To reply about the humidity: yes it is humid here in the Caribbean. The mattress you had was in very good condition and it was not at all wet. I am very careful to keep my place clean and fresh.

And as for the Rescue Center that you went to: I just want to clarify to the readers - it was the Jaguar Wild Animal Rescue Center. I didn't want anyone to think it was YOU who needed a rescue :)
Rome, Italy
Reviewed August 14, 2012

If you are looking for a few days of relax and would like to stay out of the trouble and partying of Puerto Viejo, Lisa's Hidden Jungle Beach House just a few hundred meters away from "downtown" is the right place for you. It has four small rooms and a shared bathroom/shower. You can use the kitchen in case you might wish to cook or to prepare breakfast in the morning. Lisa is a very attentive and dedicated host and can help with any questions regarding things to do in and around Puerto Viejo.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ka A
Lisa V, Owner at Hidden Jungle Beach House, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thanks for the very nice review. And what you said is exactly true. My place is very close to all the fun activity, but when you want to enjoy the tranquility of nature and get a good night's sleep, you can find it here.

One detail though - I do not call my place a hostel. It is a Guest House. Hostels give the idea of cheap dorm living with lots of people. I have only 4 rooms and they are all private. My Guest House is a step up from a hostel.