“Enjoy your own little piece of paradise”

Walaba Hostel & Beach Houses
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed in this lovely hostel when our friends from Holland were visiting us in Costa Rica. It´s a very funky place; colorful, with lots of arty decorations and a very relaxed vibe with lots of hammocks. The buildings are surrounded by a true tropical garden. Plenty of hummingbirds fly by every morning. It´s all build in a way that you can easily find a quiet spot for yourself (at least in low season) and enjoy your own little piece of paradise.

If you walk out of the gate you are within 3 minutes on one of the most beautiful beaches of Costa Rica, no kidding! With a little peninsula sticking out in the sea (the Punta Uva) on which you can walk and have a breathtaking view on the ocean and beaches. You feel like a pirate standing there by yourself with the breeze in your hair. :) If you go to the beach beyond this point (lazy cruisin on your beach bike of´course :) there´s a reef just a couple of meters from the beach. Stick your head in the water and it´s like you´re swimming in an aquarium!

All in all, this is a place where nature and zen lovers go. Just one pulperia nearby and some restaurants, for the rest there are just lovely beaches, monkeys and one road. You can easily bike to Manzanillo and explore the amazing nature reserve there. At night the staff of Walaba often make a big fire on the beach. Bring some snacks, booze and a guitar and life can´t get any sweeter (there is also fluorescent algae in the water so a nightly skinny dip is a great experience!).

Clean drinking water is being provided so people that say they got sick at Walaba probably got their bacteria at another place. Or they were singing too loud underneath the shower. ;)

Walaba is not a five star place so there can be some wood dust on your bed and sometimes there is no electricity or water. But the staff tries to make your stay as comfortable as possible. So if you enjoy life, come and enjoy this place!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I would have given this hostel a great rating if the rooms hadn’t been dirty and mouldy and my mosquito net hadn’t had so many holes I needed to personally cover the holes with borrowed duct tape (see photo). The rooms are poorly built with no screens on the windows so the lizards and creepies are happy to roam, which I don’t mind but I do mind them in my bed with me, so a functioning mosquito net is all I ask for the price of a mouldy room with no washroom. I thought the asking price for such was outrageous.

The common areas, however, were lovely and clean as a whistle. Nice accoutrements in the kitchen, clean washrooms/showers and nice staff. Punta Uva is lovely and there isn’t much in the way of budget accommodation, but I hope Walaba’s owners do something about the insects, dust and mould in the rooms. Especially the attic room, I was shown but did not take (there were numerous dead bugs sitting inside the mosquito net on a cruddy old mattress on the floor). Ew.

Room Tip: Check your mosquito net and bed carefully.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SocklessJ
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We just wanted to thank you guys for everything! Our stay in Punta Uva was perfect. And a huge thank you to Vincent for helping us catch our bus in San Jose-- we would have been so lost without you!!! We wish you the best of luck with the new puppy. Thank you again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I'd love to say wonderful things about this place as I really liked the service provided by Vincent and his wife, unfortunately this time we encountered more inconveniences than enjoyment which ended up screwing up our trip.

I stayed at the "Walaviña" which is advertised as a nice private room for 1 person or a couple, the place is OK but not as I expected. Mosquitos are a very severe problem for this place since it's not fully sealed to avoid mosquitos or dengue to get into the room. The beds have "Mosquito Nets" but still the place attracs tons of bugs which are a pain.

The place needs severe fixes when it comes to water, they work with a turbin that makes the water come and go. If there's no light for whatever reason they run out of water as well, this actually happened to me one of the days I stayed. When the water came back I decided to take a shower but the water of the shower was coming BROWN so I decided to pass on that one! ! ! :S They said that they have worked to have that fixed but the goverment have not set clear water for them to use apparently and they are obviously not willing to take money out of their pocket to provide clean water for the guests or have this fixed.

One the room they had 2 bottled water. One was for brushing your teeth but not drinking as it said on the label, but the second one didn't have any message on it so we assume it was clean. We drank of that water and used it to cook as we expected that paying over a $100 they could at least include one bottle of clean water. Well it wasn't and we got sick for an entire day throwing up and with diarreah. Apparenty we were not the only ones as other couple and group of Ticos got sick as well. One of them was taken to the hospital with a severe intoxication. It was awful and we stayed sick for an entire day. Actually the only day that was a sunny day becuase it rained a lot.

The place was not very clean and overall I don't know how they have permission to work as a hostel. I sincerely consider that they should provide more according to what you've paid. Don't waste your money here, pay a little more and find a decent place. This placed ruined our experience in playa Uva and Puerto Viejo and definitely will not go back there.

Room Tip: Don't come here... That's my advise. There are better Hostels in the area such as "Rock...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Walaba is amazing. The hostel is run by honest people who want you to enjoy your time in Punta Uva. Punta Uva is very close to Puerto Viejo. The hostel offers bikes or you can take the bus into Puerto Viejo easily. Punta Uva is definitely a quieter and more intimate location than Puerto Viejo.

Vincent, who works at Walaba, was of great help to me. I had a very stressful situation to deal with and Vincent was very accommodating and helpful. I am greatly appreciative of his help, as well as the rest of the Walaba staff. It is a wonderful hostel and I would recommend it to any of my friends going into the area. I, in my rush in traveling, forgot a DSLR lens and Vincent informed me before I could even contact him regarding it. Therefore, it just proves that it is a great and safe hostel.

There are howler monkey and sloths nearby. On my way biking into Puerto Viejo, I just saw a sloth sitting on a tree. Thank you Walaba for a great experience.

Room Tip: One of the buildings has its own personal hammock and laundry line. The kitchen is right downstairs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank medivhfx
Reviewed August 18, 2013

As someone who is not one for hostels and usually dreads the thought of staying in them, even I would highly recommend choosing Walaba Hostel if staying in Puerto Viejo. The hostel staff were very friendly and welcoming and were great at offering us advice on anything and everything during our stay. The rooms/kitchens/bathrooms themselves were very sort of 'jungle-chic', perfect for embracing the experience in Puerto Viejo.

Room Tip: We had the room for 4 next to the kitchen on the ground floor- quick trip to the bathroom and kitche...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alisha A
Reviewed June 12, 2013

If you are looking for a relaxing place, close to nature, with vibrant atmosphere, friendly people, and one of the most beautiful beaches 1 minute down the road, then this is a place for you. I stayed in Walaba for two nights in a private-type accommodation with own kitchen, bathroom, and even a hammock at the little porch. It was definitely a great value for my money. The staff was always there to help out either with a organizing a snorkeling trip, finding a bus to San Jose, or whatever else one would need. They provide tasty organic breakfasts for little extra, but it's for sure worth the extra bucks. Location is perfect, close to an amazing beach, a restaurant across the street, supermarket 500m down the road, and Puerto Viejo with its nightlife is 20minutes bike ride/10USD cab ride away. Walaba offers bikes for rent, which is pretty handy if you want to go outside Punta Uva and not to pay the cab fare. Definitely would be staying here again when I visit Costa Rica again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
#1 of 2 in Playa Chiquita
Casa Namasol
Casa Namasol
#12 of 18 in Manzanillo

Been to Walaba Hostel & Beach Houses? Share your experiences!