“Great place, shame about the owner”

The Point Sports Bar & Grill
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Bar
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Point...A different kind of Sports Bar.Sure we have sports on all (7) of our T.V's all the time...and sure we have hot wings and (U.S.D.A. beef) burgers...and sure we have ice cold beer and micro brew on tap, but did you know that we have local Caribbean cuisine made by the best chef south of Nicaragua?  Check out our open air restaurant/bar located on Black Beach, steps to the Caribbean Sea. A local hangout where tourists and locals come together to have a good ol' time.  So on your next visit to Puerto Viejo, top on by and say hi ya'll (before Paradise, we lived in New Orleans).  We will keep a seat warm, a cold beer, your favorite game on, and a fun time waiting for you!
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I'm genuinely conflicted about this place. The beers are great (Costa Rican microbrews!), the food was very tasty and the bartender was a really friendly American guy (Shawn?). My friends and I were having a good evening, playing some pool, and were the last people in the place on a Saturday night. Then the owner turned up, totally wasted after being out at a wedding or something. Now, I'm pretty easy going, but this guy was just ridiculous. Everything out of his mouth was some kind of obscenity or sexist joke and he openly admitted that he was trying to offend us. We played along for a while, hoping that he would go away or get tired of the joke, but he would not let up. In the end he drove us off, completely overshadowing an otherwise nice night. My advice to the owner would be to straighten out and act professional if you're going to attempt to interact with your patrons. If that proves too challenging, then maybe try to avoid them altogether, as it appears that booze does not mix well with your brain.

irPopeye, Owner at The Point Sports Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

This just goes to show you. You can't get along with everyone. Sorry y'all had a problem with me. But from the looks of ALL the other reviews, you are in the minority. I apologize for whatever wrong you may believe I have forced you upon. But life is to short to be so petty.
Take care

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We went to The Point a couple of times during our stay in Puerto Viejo, initially because it was near our hotel but then because we just enjoyed ourselves there. It's right on the beach, is totally casual, and the people who work there are uniformly friendly. But the big draw for us is that they have the best hamburgers we've eaten in our 18 months in Costa Rica. Simply wonderful!!!!!

irPopeye, Owner at The Point Sports Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thanks, We try to give everyone a home away from home feel. We hope to see you again.
Thanks

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Staying just outside of town at Mother Dear, we ate and drank at The Point multiple times during our 12 day stay. My favorites were the guacamole served with plantain chips and the cerviche. I even asked for the recipes and one of the owners sat down at our table and gave me all their secrets. My husband said the USDA organic hamburger was the best he's had in a year. Along with about a hundred other fans, we watched the Superbowl at The Point...the owner had installed a second big screen outside - if you ever get the chance to watch a game under the stars on a beach don't pass it up!!!

Thanks,
I hope all your friends are enjoying the guacamole now. lol
Now we are also doing movies and things of that nature on the big screen outside as well.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Great food and music. This is a great meeting place just before you get to town. Right on the water. Clean. Friendly staff. We went here several times

It was our Pleasure having you here. Glad you enjoyed our Place.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

The owners need to be commended at The Point. Sporting 3 Costa Rican Craft Beers on Tap and USDA Certified Organic Hamburgers. Right on the beach, just outside of town. We arrived on a slow night to what looks like a fun place when the sporting events begin. Great staff and nice owners. We were greeted by a delightful Swiss waitress (I've yet to meet a Tico here in Puerto Viejo) and ordered a freshly made pineapple juice and shot of Centenario Rum as well as Chips and Guacamole and Salsa. Not a standard menu item, but they were happy to do a special order. I asked about the microbrews (2,500 colones = +/- $5 pint) and the bartender brought out samples to my delight. Guacamole was fabulous and they had a well rounded menu from Chile Fries and wings to Rondon, a traditional Caribbean fish soup. A great place you need to stop in at!

Glad you liked the place. We now have more Craft Micro Brew on tap. We aim to please and have no problem with custom orders, We want all of our customers to leave with a smile.
Thanks