“best coffee” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate

Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Caribeans is the origninal bean-to-bar chocolate factory in Puerto Viejo. Chocolate is made right in the cacao forest. Tours of our factory include: all-you-can-eat gourmet chocolate, the chocolate forest hike, and the "see how we do it" factory tour. Regular tours are Monday Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“best coffee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I met the owner years ago while looking for coffee/breakfast, I stopped at Caribbeans and because of their excellent coffee, I found my daily breakfast stop. . I went back last month and much to my dismay, the place is no longer there, luckily I did find the new location while walking the main road from Cocles to PV. Original owner has moved his coffee bar/restaurant (same great coffee as always), the new owner has changed (and was still working on changes during my visit). One of the attractions (other than the best coffee around), was the computer room he had in back, after I drank my coffee, I would go use computer for a small donation.

Of course, change is always good, but only if it works. The original location, now under new ownership no longer attracts the crowds as before, though it is still in operation.

Once I found Paul's new place and went there again, as it was on my daily walk Cocles to PV, same great coffee and all variations.

• Czech first
Warwick, Rhode Island
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We saw the sign for a chocolate tour and tasting and decided to go on a whim. We were surprised that the tour was 3 hours long and was kind of pricey...but we were pleasantly surprised! Paul is so passionate about his work and we learned a lot from him. We were able to taste many different kinds of chocolate and combinations from a mountain top with a beautiful view.
If you don't want to take the tour, you can also just have a chocolate tasting at their chocolate lounge!

Visited October 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Visit their new place just off the main road, got several different kinds of chocolate here and a wonderful iced coffee chocolate too!

Prague, Oklahoma
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“no tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We went twice for a tour and they didn't have tours as the tour guide was gone, sad since I planned a day around it. We just bought some chocolate and coffee in the restaurant

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Kim B
caribeans, Owner at Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you for reviewing our tour even though we were unable to provide that service during your trip. We considered using another guide while I was out of town representing Costa Rican made chocolate in Seattle. Our feeling was it is better to be closed rather than provide tours that may be less than excellent. We hope you enjoyed the product and your trip to Puerto Viejo anyway.

Paul Johnson
Lindon, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Heaven in Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

The food was great. I usually wouldn't go to a "all natural place". The coffee and natural treats were delicious...