“A Perfect Tour”

Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Caribeans is the origninal bean-to-bar chocolate factory in Puerto Viejo. Chocolate is made right in the cacao forest. Tours of our factory include: all-you-can-eat gourmet chocolate, the chocolate forest hike, and the "see how we do it" factory tour. Regular tours are Monday 10 am, Tuesday10 & 2, Thursday 10 & 2, Friday2 pm, and Saturday 2 pm. No reservations required. We also have a full service coffee and chocolate shop. Our coffee is fresh roasted farm to cup and delicious. Our chocolate is all hand made and organic. Fresh smoothies, sandwiches, ice cream and much more.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 1, 2012

As long as you're OK with a couple of steep climbs, touring the plantation is a delight. Paul's passion and enthusiasm for cacao and fair trade is inspiring, and the final result of his labors is really delicious.

Sitting on the top of the hill, watching the sun set while sampling a variety of chocolates with herbs and spices truly is a moment to treasure.

Just park at the bottom (at the yoga place next door) and wait for Paul to come down and meet you - unlike us who tried cycling up to the ranch up a very steep hill! Also, if you're coming in the afternoon, bring a flashlight for the walk down the hill after.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Many other reviewers have said it well. The tour is well worth it (make sure you budget a few hours) and the tasting is informative. Paul is a great host and guide. My nine year old sister even enjoyed it and wasn't itching to leave during any part of the tour. Paul has a coffee chocolate - make sure you try it!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I think the owners name was Paul. We were recommend there chocolate/coffee tour and I am going to do the same thing. My wife and I love dark chocolate and rich Coffee and thats exactly what they have. My favorite chocolate bar was the espresso. Yum! If you are in the area please go check them out.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Paul and Jean are amazing people who have braved the challenge of reclaiming an abandoned cocoa plantation to build a sustainable, family-owned business. The tour, led by Paul, takes you on a sometimes steep hike to the top of their hilltop plantation. The views of the coastline are amazing. You will learn all about their how to cultivate and harvest cocoa and their efforts to develop techniques that local cultivators and can replicate to start their own tree to bar chocolate producing business. There's a fantastic chocolate tasting where you get to compare dark chocolate produced by different plantations and you get to pair chocolate with various local herbs and spices. Awesome.!

Reviewed July 4, 2012

What an incredible tour. I learned more about chocolate in three hours than I have in my whole life. Let's be clear, I am a chocolate lover. You know the kind of a guy who goes out at 1am in the morning for a hot fudge sundae, or a piece of Chocolate cake. I never knew that chocolate was like wine. Each Cacao pod produced at a different farm has a unique blend of flavor, a balance and slightly different colors. Paul is a wealth of information,not just on Chocolate but on true fair trade as well. I came back from this tour with a greater love of Chocolate than ever. The chocolate tasting was of course, my favorite part. I suggest this tour to everyone.