“Good, Delish, Amazing.”

Caribeans Coffee & Chocolate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Caribeans is the origninal bean-to-bar chocolate factory in Puerto Viejo. Chocolate is made right in the cacao forest. Tours of our factory include: all-you-can-eat gourmet chocolate, the chocolate forest hike, and the "see how we do it" factory tour. Regular tours are Monday Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
San Ramon, Costa Rica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good, Delish, Amazing.”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Caribeans Caffee & Chocolate will offer you SO much more than what the title express... The staff always has a beautiful smile on their faces (and how to blame them? They are surrounded by good food, music, views and vibes) and your order on their hand! The ice-cream is out of this world (DO try the passion fruit one!) and the meals are generous and appealing! Combine that with the only place where you can enjoy of a glorious sunset in Puerto Viejo and you have yourself a perfect little spot to chill, check your internet life or simply enjoy of a GREAT cup of fresh CR´n coffee! ;)

Visited December 2010
1 Thank Rach_cr

• Czech first
England
“Artisan and Stewardship at its best!”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Paul, the chocolate maker of Caribeans, and Ikea of Global Creek have created the most inspiring, educational, intelligent, sustainable practice, living, business and research center! The tour was meant to be 2hrs, but turned into 4hrs with tons of info, questions on our part, and delicious samplings of the best bean-to-bar chocolate ever! A must... and never support or buy Hershey/Cadbury/etc again. Child labor and fake ingredients are not necessary in the world.

Visited September 2011
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great tour! Very informative and LOTS of tasty chocolate!”
Reviewed September 9, 2011

My husband and I recently went on this tour and we had a great time. We took a tour through the cacao forest and saw how beans are harvested and made ready for the chocolate making process. We were served lots of chocolate and were able to mix and match chocolates with different spices and fresh herbs. The two guys that run the tour are passionate about what they do which made the tour that much more enjoyable.

Visited September 2011
Dallas, Texas
“Amazing organic restaurant!”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

No review can give this place justice. You must visit yourself! I went there twice within 24 hours (I was visiting Puerto Viejo) and was even more impressed the second time. I am a coffee snob and Caribeans' coffee is excellent; they even make their iced coffee with frozen coffee ice cubes (big thumbs up!) They roast the beans and brew their coffee in the back room; ask for a quick tour! They make their chocolate there too which is also amazing.
I can't remember what food I had but I remember it being very delicious. They even helped me turn it into a to-go meal as I had to catch the bus. I probably spent about 80 USD on souvenirs because they have so many organic products as well as products benefitting aboriginal communities. I bought organic coconut oil, weaved baskets and t-shirts. The owners were superb, very knowledgable and very nice. I understand it is under new management but that would never deter me from visiting again.
There are a lot of delicious restaurant establishments in Puerto Viejo, but this one is by far my favorite!

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
“A great place to relax, have an Ice Cream, listen to chill music and find out what's going on in town.”
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Caribeans is the perfect spot to watch the sunset, have an ice cream or a coffee, and meet a lot of the people both traveling through and living in the area, and to find out what is going on in the area or find out what to do or where to go while here. The coffee is always fresh, and it, as well as the chocolate and ice cream..are all organic, local and amazing!!