“Nice guide, even nicer beaches!”

Playa Chiquita Riding Adventures
Athens, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nice guide, even nicer beaches!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Being freaked out by horses I was a little hesitant, but Bruce is awesome and apparently uses these horses to teach some of the local kids (little kids) to ride, so they're perfectly safe. I got the impression that he only does smaller groups, so you'll get more personalized attention and a more peaceful ride, but am not sure about his group limits so don't quote me on that. He also took a lot of pictures for us so we could be in the pictures together. We rode for hours (some along the beach, some up in the trees. He pointed out sloths in the trees for us and let us know all about the plants (which ones to eat, which ones were medicinal, and which ones were toxic/itchy). It was a really fun ride and I would do it again in a heartbeat, only this time I would wear a little bit more sunscreen on my shoulders!

Visited October 2012

Toronto, Canada
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 154 helpful votes
“A must do!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had been planning my trip to this side since December 2011 for Oct 2012 travel. i am a research travel bug. Never came across this till a couple of days before my departure. I wanted to book something as my boyfriend is a "go with the flow" kind of person. His birthday was during our stay so i figured if I booked something he had to do it. When i came across this adventure i thought this was perfect. I had already made arrangements with Bruce (the owner - a saint) before my boyfriend told me he wasn't interested. I just told him don't worry about it. I knew we were going. Let mew tell you he was thrilled after. What an experience.

You do not pay a deposit. Which made me feel good and nervous at the same time. Bruce a message at our hotel to call him.. i was so nervouse the whole night... maybe he got a better offer...no . he called just to check on our arrival. He did tell the lady tell them just checking.

He'll ask your experience and watch your comfort level before moving on. He has 2 dogs and 3 of the neighboring dogs (which apparently were a family at one time) joined int. I think the dogs know...tourists coming ...it's party time. :

You go part beach and part forest. Lucky it was a bit of a rainy day. i loved it as I found it so refreshing. The horse are so tame ...no bit or horseshoes. He does not watch the clock and even offered if we wanted we could go north then be dropped at our hotel to save cab fare. He''ll accomodate any way...it's your ride. We choice to go south as he said the beaches were more beautiful.

As Bruce said himself "he enjoys making people's dream come true" ....this is not a job to him. I'm so glad I found him. We did the animal rescue mission on our own for the 9:30 tour then on to Playa Chiquita with the wonderful experience with Bruce. As i said before.... a must do.

Visited October 2012
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A DREAM DAY”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

you must ride along the caribbean ...the man who operates this was incredible and so spirited! Free rides for learners, too!

Visited August 2012
Los Angeles, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“AMAZING Tour! Ask for La Princessa!”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I am not a "horse person" and had not ridden a horse for a good 10-15 years before this experience, but the friend I was with really wanted to go horseback riding... And I am SO glad we did because it turned out to be one of the BEST experiences/activities we did on our trip! I definintely have a new found respect and admiration of horses, and am no longer as nervous to ride! It was a really special experience!!

The owener and tour guide, Bruce, is amazing! His life story is inspirational, and his passion for horses is obvious... He truly loves what he does! His tour is very personal, not like some of the other tours in the area that are very formal and timed. It was just me and my friend riding with him, so we were able to talk a lot and get to know eachother, and even though it was "supposed" to be a 2 - 2.5 hour tour, we ended up going for almost 4 hours because we were having such an amazing experience together!

You will start in Playa Chiquita (where the stables are) and ride all the way down South past Punta Uva... You will go through lush jungles/forests, and also along the beautiful pristine beaches of Punta Uva with breath-taking views of the coastline. There is the opportunity to see wildlife in the jungle - we saw a monkey! We also took a break at one point, and Bruce cut open a coconut for us to eat as a snack (so awesome!)!

The horses are really well trained and friendly. My horse was La Princessa... she was great! She did get a little rambunctious at one point and galloped off on her own, but Bruce came over and got us right back on track! You just have to show the horse who's boss from the beginning ... Once I established leadership with La Princessa, our ride went great... and I secretly enjoyed the galloping even though it was kind of scary at first!

DO wear jeans, closed-toed shoes (sneakers), sunscreen, and sunglasses! DO bring a camera since you will be riding through beautiful scenery! DO be flexible since the tour may go longer than you anticipated (especially if you are having as amazing a time as we did!). DO stretch afterwards, since you will probably be sore the next day if you are not used to riding!

Bruce is great, he made the experience VERY special and very personal, and it is one of my favorite memories of Costa Rica :) It was like a dream... galloping along the beaches in Costa Rica... When else are you going to do something like this?! Well worth the $60!!!

Visited September 2012
Boise, Idaho
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a sunset ride with Bruce. I am an extremely experienced rider (and wanted more than a tail-to-nose trail ride), and my boyfriend is a relatively inexperienced rider. We had an incredible time because Bruce was able to accommodate both of us. Over the course of the ride, we journeyed through jungle and across several beaches. Riding across some of the world's most beautiful beaches at sunset, with jungle extending all the way to the beach line, was simply breathtaking.

As someone who is experienced with horses, I must say that the interaction between Bruce and his animals speaks volumes. His animals simply adore him. Additionally, they are extremely well trained and yet they have a lively spark in their eyes... which is often (sadly) missing from horses used for trail riding.

Visited July 2012