“Fish Tacos, Well made Cocktails and Awesome Bartendars!!!”

Tasty Waves Cantina
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Tasty Waves is more than a humble cantina in beautiful Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica, it's a lifestyle. We always strive to become your "home base", giving you local advice on where to go, what sites to see and how to get the most out of your journey or vacation. Our staff is more of a family and we always want you to feel welcome in our home. For the most part it's a relaxed atmosphere but don't get me wrong, we know how to party. Tasty Tuesday has become the biggest and most anticipated party of the week and we always show you a good time, so good that we close on Wednesday to clean up the aftermath. Thursday is Trivia Night, Friday is R.E.H.A.B., Saturday is Karaoke, Sunday Funday and Monday is our Movie Night with new and classics running on our 100" projector screen. Stop in, say hi and have a shot of Guaro with us. Tasty Waves Cantina ~ Livin' the Dream
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Unfortunately, we didnt discover this place until 2 nights before we left the city.

FOOD:
Their fish tacos are fantastic!!! Crispy, huge and perfectly fried. Did I mention they are served on Hand-made corn tortillas.

BOOZE:
Drinks range from $2 beer to Cocktails $7. Nice selection of beers. They had the usual Imperial and Pilsen. But they also had Tona, a personal favorite. My 2 favorite cocktails were the Passion Fruit Capirinha and the SOTLGT (sex on the lifeguard tower). Not too sweet and enough alcohol to get you nice and toasty.

BARTENDERS:
They were all really fun and social. Definitely, made us feel at home. Ask Brighton to make your drinks!

-Mondays they have movie night on a projector. They also give everyone fresh made popcorn. SOOOO GOODD!!!!
-They also have Football all day on Sunday. They also fire up the grill to cook up hot dogs.
-They are closed on Wednesdays.
-Tuesdays they have drink and fish taco specials.

Bryton24, Owner at Tasty Waves Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Wow, super informative review! Thank you guys so much. Also thank for the personal shout out there, I try to make some killer cocktails. Pretty much an entire add page here, I think the only thing you left out was our manly beards and $1 shots. Other than that I think you covered it all. Thank you so much for stopping in and thanks for taking the time to give us a review afterwards. We'll see ya on the next trip!

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Came here from all the rave about the fish tacos. They were not that great to be beachfront! Service was not that good either, and fries were definitely not good. Wouldn't come here again.

I was very concerned with this review and thank you for taking the time to write about us. We do have quite a following for our tacos but consistency is key and we might have had an off day here. The tortillas aren't you typical store bought as most people are used to, we hand make each one so they definitely are different but that would just be a taste preference there. As far as service goes, we have no excuses, I expect our service to be top notch every time and I know that my team is the best in town, once again, it looks like we had an off day here. I know that it is rare for people to travel to the exact same town again after already being there but if by chance you do, please bring this up to me and give us another chance, I think we could win you over. Thanks again for the review and the constructive criticism.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Tasty Waves is a fun, friendly place about 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) or a 10 minute bike ride south/west of Puerto Viejo at the truly beautiful Playa Cocles. Laid back, open air and fun, it serves the very best tacos—especially the fish tacos--- and hamburgers in the area. Open until very late, it has specials every night. The chicken or beef taco and a beer for $4 is a steal. Every night has special events as well. There is a movie night, a trivia night, beer pong night—it goes on! The beautiful Playa Cocles beach is right across the road through some trees. Tasty Waves is one of only three places on that stretch of road. Iit’s right next door to Mi Casa El Tesoro a great place to stay and on the other side of Mi Casa is heaven for chocolate lovers. See my reviews

I see our little Cocles Charm has one you over! We are so grateful to be surrounded by all of the amazing family businesses that are right here in Cocles and have always felt it was the perfect fit for us. Thank you for taking the time to wander down the road to our beautiful beach and enjoy what Cocles has to offer. And wow, how about the chocolate at Caribbeanz, the absolute best and I'm not a chocolate dude, watch out Hershey's these guys are taking over! Thanks for the killer review and we were glad to be a part of your journey. We'll see you on the next trip!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We just happened to be staying at Mi Casa Hostel next door to this great cantina. We were referred by Alejandro, the hostel manager, and he was spot on. Wonderful laid back atmosphere and the most delicious tacos ever. The chicken taco and a nice cool brew really hit the spot. Next day, I hesitantly tried the fish taco. OH MY!!!! What a treat. If you are not into tacos, their hamburger made 1st prize in my estimation. The staff is very friendly and a pleasure to be with. The view of Cocles Beach, right across the street, is nothing to sneeze at either. Go!! Enjoy!

1  Thank Dennis B

Thanks for the killer review guys and we are glad we could keep you happy and full. The fish tacos are where it's at! And the "voted #1 fish taco in the Caribbean (by our moms)" isn't just a funny sign. We literally flew all of our moms out here and made them try all the tacos in town, NAILED IT! Thanks again for tossing in our secret Hamburger, we are hands down a taco joint but I think we kill it on the burger end too. We appreciate the kind words and taking the time to review us, come back and see us sometime!

Reviewed October 5, 2013

You are looking for a place to hangout with friends far from home this is the spot to be. You can grab a cold beer after a day in Cocles or stop by on Tasty Tuesday for their Taco Specials. Thursday is Trivia and Sunday is the best place to watch football in puerto viejo besides La Ruka Hostel.

If you are in Puerto Viejo, I think that Tasty Waves is definitely the place that you want to go and hangout!

Cheers to Bryton and team for making an amazing restaurant and living the dream.

Thanks for the awesome review and I am in total agreement that we have the ABSOLUTE best staff in town. Thanks for hanging with us, being a part of us and helping us keep "Livin' the Dream". We really do appreciate it.