“Great Staff and Tacos”

Tasty Waves Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Bar, Central American, Costa Rican
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Tasty Waves is more than a humble cantina in beautiful Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica, it's a lifestyle. We always strive to become your "home base", giving you local advice on where to go, what sites to see and how to get the most out of your journey or vacation. Our staff is more of a family and we always want you to feel welcome in our home. For the most part it's a relaxed atmosphere but don't get me wrong, we know how to party. Tasty Tuesday has become the biggest and most anticipated party of the week and we always show you a good time, so good that we close on Wednesday to clean up the aftermath. Thursday is Trivia Night, Friday is R.E.H.A.B., Saturday is Karaoke, Sunday Funday and Monday is our Movie Night with new and classics running on our 100" projector screen. Stop in, say hi and have a shot of Guaro with us. Tasty Waves Cantina ~ Livin' the Dream
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Staff and Tacos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

You are looking for a place to hangout with friends far from home this is the spot to be. You can grab a cold beer after a day in Cocles or stop by on Tasty Tuesday for their Taco Specials. Thursday is Trivia and Sunday is the best place to watch football in puerto viejo besides La Ruka Hostel.

If you are in Puerto Viejo, I think that Tasty Waves is definitely the place that you want to go and hangout!

Cheers to Bryton and team for making an amazing restaurant and living the dream.

Visited October 2013
Bryton24, Owner at Tasty Waves Cantina, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thanks for the awesome review and I am in total agreement that we have the ABSOLUTE best staff in town. Thanks for hanging with us, being a part of us and helping us keep "Livin' the Dream". We really do appreciate it.

San Luis Obispo, California
“Tacos so good they will make you slap your Grandma”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stopped for lunch and got some beef and fish tacos. Crazy good. I was especially loving the home made tortillas. We also got fries which were better than Inn n Out. Yep, I said that. The waitress was super nice and friendly. The only reason I gave it 4 points is because they were out of home made guacamole and potato chips and I really had my heart set on it.

• Visited September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us and hey, if I can't provide it then I expect the firm fist! I'll tell ya what, I'll take a on up on In n Out any day of the week! Thanks for stopping by and always good to have some SLO kids in the house, we'll see you on the next trip where I guarantee I'll have plenty of guac and chips.
“Go away Brighton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We went there for an evening meal with my girlfriend. There was this meat head wannabe surfer dude called Brighton who would not leave us alone. We do not really care smoking weed but he was forcing it upon us. He was constanty coming to our table screaming and shouting things at us like a complete American idiot yank. Sorry Americans this is the kinda guy who portrays you lot.

Nice place, but improve it, get rid of Brighton, and ask if he can ever go one minute without tensing his body. Dick

Nice food there though

2 Thank Joeyknows1
Well first I'd like to thank you for taking the time to review our spot even though you obviously didn't enjoy your experience. Constructive criticism is very important to a growing business and every little bit helps.

Now as far as this Brighton dude goes, he sounds like a dick. I think I know exactly who you're talking about here. Just came off the beach, long curly blonde hair, shirtless playing pool and hands down the loudest dude in the bar, constantly tensing his shirtless body and this dude LOVES to smoke pot, I mean loves it. Once we were out surfing together and he actually said " Dude how cool would it be if we had a water proof blunt to smoke out here, YEAH BRAH!" I do apologize for his actions and I have had to tell him several times to not try and push or sell weed to my guests while hanging out at Tasty Waves. He also has no filter and wouldn't surprise me if he made a pass at your girlfriend while hanging around.

The only problem with this is that his name isn't Brighton, I'm guessing you asked someone in town who the blonde curly haired "wanna be" surfer guy at Tasty Waves was and they naturally said Brighton because BRYTON is the owner, me. And though I am a "wanna be" surfer dude who is a yank with curly blonde hair which I have recently cut off as to never get confused with this other guy again, I am not the guy who you described. I don't scream, I don't smoke pot and I rarely tense my 5'10" 200 pound "curvy and I like it" body. The guy you are thinking of goes by a different name that I won't say because he is a regular and I appreciate his business but lets just say he's about 6'3" with 1% body fat, loves to do wheelies on his bicycle and lives to surf, smoke pot and be a pain in my butt. Also, he's not a yank, he was schooled in the US but his family if from Hungary. Once again, thanks for the review!
“'Tasty' is an understatement!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We stopped by for lunch and were blessed to have the luck of Taco Tuesday! This place had the best fish tacos that we have ever had in our life! Hand made corn tortillas, light flavorful fish and phenomenal slaw, sauce and avocado.

We met Brighton, the owner, and he was a gem! Just a chill guy with a vision and a great vibe. Outdoor pool table and cool locals. Great beer from Nicaragua and Imperial , of course. One of our favorite places in Costa Rica. The chicken fingers looked amazing, too. You have to go here if ever in PV!

Newport Beach, California
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

These guys do it right! The owner is the best and makes you feel at home! All the foods is fantastic and they have theme nights every night they are open! Tons of fun and can't wait to get back!