“The best original argentinian in town!”
Review of Malbec - CLOSED

Malbec
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Excellent food and service, the owner and his wife make you feel like home (literally) the food selection is superb, great wine list and amazing deserts! I wouldn't change a thing! Looking forward to coming again on my next trip to town!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

If meat is on your diet plan then Malbec is the place to eat while in the Puerto Viejo To Manzanillo area of Costa Rica. The atmosphere is family owned and proud of what they are serving. It is authentic Argentinian parrilla style with all the great wine and bread and sauces that put the meal over the top. Service is great and attentive. Excellent every time, we will be back!

Reviewed June 15, 2013

My girlfriend and I had a fantastic dinner at Malbec last night. We shared the cheese appetizer and followed this with steaks - I had the rib eye and my girlfriend had the sirloin. Both were delicious and cooked exactly as we asked for. We had a goood bottle of red wine to accompany dinnner and finished with dessert and rum. The bananas flambee is outstanding. On top of the quality of the food, our hosts (a lovely couple from Argentina) could not have provided better service. We left fully satisfied with all aspects of the restaurant. Although it is slightly more expensive than some of the other restaurants in the area, it is a cut above and well worth the extra cost.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was such a beautiful little place. This husband and wife team have just 5 tables on their front porch but the atmosphere can't be beat! The empanadas and steaks were delicious! Though you are outside, tiny lizards eat all the mosquitos which is fun to watch.

1  Thank Christina C
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have been in the area for almost a month and really needed a good steak. I went based on the reviews here and was not disappointed!

The owner/hostess was very friendly and walked me through the menu. I had a lovely half bottle of Malbec which was perfect for the evening. I ordered the peppered steak(s) which came with TWO fillets and a side of au gratin potatoes and boiled carrots and green beans. I also started off with two empanadas (cheese and beef).

The cheese empanada, which I ate there was very good. The pastry was perfect and flaky. The cheese (which had some onion in it) oozed out nicely. I took the beef one home with me, but in hindsight should have eaten it there since it didn't heat up well. The meat tasted fine but the pastry suffered. There was also a nice loaf of bread with a herb/butter spread brought out which was also good.

The steak was wonderful and I could only eat one of the fillets, which suited me just fine. There wasn't really anything special about the carrots and green beans. I think improvements could be made there that would only entail a little more work per dish. I really thought I'd love the au gratin but I wasn't crazy about it. It was bland and dry...not like what I was expecting (a creamy cheese sauce) so I'm glad it came with the dish because I would have paid for it otherwise and probably been disappointed. I did take some of it home and put some cheese on it and salt/pepper which made it significantly better.

However, the empanadas, meat and wine were the real winners here. My bill came out to about $50 which is what I expected. The other appetizers seemed quite expensive and I really couldn't justify buying anything other than the empanadas (which I believe were about $3/ea). Considering I got another 1 1/2 meals out of the steak, I was happy and will return again when another craving hits.