“Outstanding dinner!!”

Malbec
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This little restaurant outside of Puerto Viejo is a gem. It is small and intimate and the owners are wonderful. The food and drinks were great. The steaks and the scalloped potatoes were delicious and unlike anything we have had in Costa Rica and we have eaten at some outstanding restaurants here. You cannot go wrong if you decide to have a special meal here. I know we will definitely be going back!!!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

The owners reviewed the menu with us and the recommendations were excellent. We had skirt steak and kabobs! My 13 year old sons exact words everything was awesome! Best restaurant we tried in the area and they all were good!

Reviewed April 27, 2012

This lovely off the beaten road restaurant was one of our favorite meals. My steak was exquisite, grilled over an outside flame by the husband and the wife was charming - explaining to us the entres on the menu. Great wine to pair with the steak.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

Malbec is wonderfully removed from the main road a couple hunderd kilometers, down a little gravel lane. The restaurant has maybe ten or so tables, on what is like a huge covered porch. A very nice, comfortable, and romantic setting. The husband and wife make a great team - she carefully explains the menu, performs as a very gracious host and waitress, while the husband is the grill master. And what an awesome grill he has, which he was more than happy to show me and explain how he cooks a steak. He is a seasoned pro for sure. They also have one other "helper" in the kitchen who kind of stayed in the background.

They have a great wine list, with many excellent choices of white and red wines from Argentina (of course!). We both had steaks, which were phenominal, large, thick, delicious, and perfectly cooked. He doesn't season or marinate - just a pinch of salt, and the real grilled deliciousness comes through. A couple of glasses of Malbec paired the meat perfectly. The vegies on the side were excellent. My only complaint - and this is my own fault for not asking if there was an alternative - is that our steaks came with white rice on the side, which was a little off to me, since I am used to potatoes. I have read other comments about the scalloped potatoes which would have been great, but as it was I could barly finish the huge steak and probably would not have had room for potatoes anyway. No biggie - the steat is in the starring role.

The husband and wife owners are very personable and interesting, which is all part of the fun in having dinner here. They even gave us a very nice shot of excellent rum on the house which ended the meal perfecty! This is definitely the place to go if you are in the mood for a great steak dinner!

1  Thank STL_traveladdict
Reviewed April 11, 2012

One of the best steaks I've ever had. Good place for a romantic dinner, not a lot of room for kids.