“Our second trip...and Gecko Trails did not disappoint.”

Gecko Trail - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Gecko Trail Costa Rica is full service travel agency based in Costa Rica. We offer a wide selection of tours, activities and transportation all over the country. We are specialized in helping clients to set up a customized and authentic experience of the real Costa Rica. We plan your trip to maximize your holiday time enjoying the incredible nature and wide selection of activities, and make sure to offer a fun, safe and hassle-free experience of the best Costa Rica has to offer - whether this is for individual travelers, couples or groups, we make sure you get the right fit. Our Vision• Excellence in customer service• Innovative travel options• Professionalism in dealing with clients as well as with vendors• Provide the best quality possible• Use local providers and help the local community grow in a sustainable way• Fair employment of local staff including accurate training and salary
Reviewed July 8, 2017

We (8 in total, including three generations of family) used Gecko Trails (GT) to arrange our Costa Rica travels for the second time in two years. They were great for the first trip and, if anything, better the second time.

This year we spend time in Samara, Arenal and Puerto Viejo (all are recommended). We described what we wanted to do, and GT made it happen...from timely pick-ups and transfers from the airport; to excellent activities; to accommodations that suited us perfectly. Moreover, they were able to accommodate (very easily) our different interests and likes (our age range was 10 to a very active 81). All of this with professionalism, friendliness and politeness. If we wanted to change something before travelling, they did so very quickly; if we wanted to tweak a trip while in country...no problemo. If we encountered a difficulty, we contacted them and it was sorted before we could blink an eye (e.g., one morning a tour provider was late...we contacted GT and the issue was sorted out within minutes).

When first travelling to Costa Rica (last year), we were somewhat hesitant about working with a local provider...nonetheless, partly based on Trip Advisor reviews, we decided to take this approach. Two trips later, we are left scratching our heads as to why we were concerned. We have never had this level of service from a Canadian travel provider (we do not mean to denigrate, they also are good).

The bottom line is that working with a (good and reputable) local company with local knowledge all but guarantees that you will be able to match your "needs" with available expertise and resources.

Thank you GT for an excellent vacation (we will be contacting you soon about our next adventure).

- 8 very happy Canadians

1  Thank foothighforest
GeckoTrail, Owner at Gecko Trail - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2017

Thank you for your glowing review! I shared it with the team as I know your package was a team effort. I am glad to hear that we were able to provide you exactly what we strive to deliver to our clients; professional and high quality work with a pinch of pura vida, and lots of local knowledge! Thank you and we will be happy to have you back anytime :-)

All reviews
"shared shuttle"
"pura vida"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed June 24, 2017

I went to Costa Rica solo in late December and the only thing I had booked was my first night's hotel room. I had heard that the hotel gave good recommendations on things to do so I was hoping to get recommendations from the staff. It turned out they weren't super helpful, but I was able to get wifi and turned to Gecko Trails because the only way I could communicate was through internet (since my phone didn't work in Costa Rica) and they had one of those pop up windows that said someone was there to help. It was a very last minute trip that they planned for a 10 day adventure including hotels and activities for me and it turned out to be so wonderful. I owe my good trip experience to their amazing planning! I could not be more happy with their communication with me (all through the internet) during my stay. It was a great example of excellent customer service. I would definitely use them again.

1  Thank lovetravel333123
Reviewed May 11, 2017

Easy connections for travel to and from Hotels, attractions and the airport in Costa Rica. Also good connections to Panama and Nicaragua.
Very good personalized service.

Reviewed May 10, 2017

We used Gecko to book a last minute day hike in Gandoca-Manzilla national park as Caribe tours couldn't be bothered to help us out.

From start to finish the booking process was smooth and efficient with friendly staff.

We had a private tour and our guide Arial was fantastic.

He was very informative, friendly and went out of his way to make our tour enjoyable such as buying us some coconuts to drink and also cutting open some that we found on the beach to eat the delicious flesh.

He took us to see sea caves and along the beach to explore beautiful scenery, we also got to see Howler Monkeys, a huge Boa Constrictor, vine snakes, Sloths and much more.

Thoroughly recommended.

1  Thank Preyom
GeckoTrail, Owner at Gecko Trail - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2017

Thank you for great review, I will for sure share it with Ariel and our team. I have to say, I am bit jealous that you saw a huge Boa - fascinating animals and great experience to see them in the wild.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 7, 2017 via mobile

We booked a day trip to Bocas del Toro panama via gecko tours. For anyone considering doing this trip-we highly recommend.

Before I start-the tour group cautions that Panama may not be for everybody. Take this very seriously and make sure you know before you go. Panama is A LOT different than Costa Rica.

Now that you've decided to go-be prepared for an adventure! The tour starts when you are picked up at your hotel. You are then taken to the border (aka the River Sixaolo) where you will be met by an escort who will help you with the exit paperwork and will walk (yes, walk-how cool is that?!?) you across the bridge into panama. From there you will be assisted in completing the entry into Panama and will be met by your next driver who will take you to the port of Almirante. You are with someone from the tour group at all times during this process. They make sure that everything is taken care of and that there are no issues during your border crossing.

Once we arrived in Almirante, we were met by our captain for the day and were ready to start our next phase of the adventure! Cesar, with Jim y jack tours, was our captain and we could not have asked for a better one-because Gecko had already given us the best! Cesar knew the best spots for snorkeling, spotting starfish, finding monkeys, and relaxing on the beaches. During our day on the water, we went snorkeling in dolphin bay, stopped at an over-water restaurant on Cayo Coral for eats and drinks, spent time on a jungle walk and relaxation on Red Frog beach, and toured the beautiful mangroves all along the water ways. Words cannot explain how beautiful and pristine Bocas del Toro is. You must experience it for yourself.

After our day on the water, we returned to Almirante and made our way back into Costa Rica. I will say-getting to Bocas is an adventure, but one you will be glad you made! Gecko was great to work with. They were communicative and very informational about the tour. They made sure every contingency was covered and that we were with competent and knowledgeable guides at all times. If you are considering this trip-do it. It is worth the splurge.

GeckoTrail, Owner at Gecko Trail - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2017

We are very pleased to hear that the one day tour to Bocas del Toro was the right tour for you as it definitely is not a tour for everybody. However, it is a great way to see and do a lot in one day and have a quick dip into an other country. Thank you for this lovely review, your words are very valuable to us!