“Great with some minor flaws”

KOKi Beach Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Heemstede, The Netherlands
“Great with some minor flaws”
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

This is without a doubt the best restaurant I've eaten in my 2 weeks I've been in Costa Rica so far. The atmosphere in this restaurant is one of the best I've ever seen, and the staff was wonderful. Ofcourse with this also comes slightly higher prices than in other restaurants, yet to me this was expected because of the higher quality you receive.

The food overall was delicious, yet there were some minor flaws. Three people at my table ordered the Porterhouse steak, but the quality of the meat varied noticeably. While my steak was magnificent, another steak at our table seemed to have a lot of fat throughout the steak. This made in less tender, but it didn't affect the great taste.

Another curiosity was the red wine, which was served cold. Not that this ruined the wine, yet it come as a surprise to us since everyone at our table was used to red wine being served at room temperature.

Lastly for me the dark chocolate mousse was not a success. Although it looked great and the structure of the mousse (with which some restaurants struggle) was great, the taste seemed a bit off. It didn't really taste like dark chocolate, more like really cheap milk chocolate (not trying to offend, just trying to describe). I let other people at my table try and they shared my opinion.

That being said, these were the only flaws I could find even after thinking for a long time. I told the waitress about the mousse, after which she offered me a replacement dessert. After I politely declined she decided not to put the mousse on the check at all. I have to same I'm impressed by the service at this restaurant, everything they do is to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Great compliments to them!

After the night ended with free shots I was truly convinced that, even though there were some flaws during my visit, this restaurant is (one of) the best in Puerto Viejo and surroundings.

Thanks to the staff for this great evening! If you visit Puerto Viejo, visit this place when you have the time!

3 Thank nilsmackay

• Hebrew first
“Unique, fabulous, flawless.”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Much love to Jorge, Chris, and their staff for creating and running this awesome restaurant. Truly one-of-a-kind place in Puerto Viejo that's an absolute must for all travelers.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Greg W
“Delicious ”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Food are very delicious, it is a good experience to eat some Caribbean food in that place, people are good attention, excellent presentation

1 Thank Maikol R
Charleston, South Carolina
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We came here with another family so we were a large group with lots of kids. The staff was very accommodating and has to be the best service in town. Waitress knew exactly what we needed with 4 kids there. One child did not like dinner ordered and they were able to get a second dinner out very quickly. Happy hour drinks were fabulous. Not sure about pictures around the restaurant but liked the rest of the atmosphere. Every thought their meals were great and we ended up eating there again the next night.

Again, owner and staff really make this place wonderful.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank LTT6543
Oslo, Norway
“O.M.G.”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Their drinks are to die for, their margarita and mojito are the best in town.

I have been to Puerto Viejo a few times over the years, and I was very surprised to find a place like Koki on my last visit. The location on the corner, the professional service, the outstanding locale. Its pure perfection!

Its cool and eclectic, and the food was outstanding. We actually decided to have out christmas dinner (and my birthday!) here and was not disappointed. The staff even gave me a present (handmade soap) in stead of the typical sparkly dessert :D

We had the churisco and the spicy prawns and I recommend it!

Visited December 2013