“A place to just chill....”

KOKi Beach Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Philippines
“A place to just chill....”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Nice ambiance, owners are friendly and the Calamares I have is very good! I didn't order any main dish because I am saving my appetite for the banana box and it sure filled me up! The rest of my group enjoyed the evening as well. Definitely, a place to go back to and could be a hang out.

• Visited January 2014

• Hebrew first
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Hip Lounge at the Beach”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We visited KOKi´s twice during our stay in Puerto Viejo for drinks and really enjoyed the ambiance.

I´ve given this place 4 stars based on the ambience and general concept.

KOKi´s has a much more sophisticated atmosphere than many places in Puerto Viejo, without being snooty. The decoration and chill-out lounge music give it a great combination of "beachy" and "cool." Seating is all open air on a large deck built around a huge tree. There are some chairs and tables on a lower deck that is completely open, and tables on an upper deck that are covered.

It is a bit more expensive than other places for both food and drink. We didn´t eat here, but we did check out the menu which has a lot of interesting peruvian-inspired dishes.

Drinks are a bit pricey. I would recommend sticking to basic cocktails (mojitos) or drinks you can mix yourself (ie: rum and coke), as the bartenders didn´t seem to be all that knowledgable. (Hopefully this aspect will improve.)

They also close kind of early (gates are shut by 11pm and everyone is urged out by 11:45)... although after that it seems the only places open are backpacker bars and other, seedier venues.

I would recommend a stop here for a couple of evening drinks and maybe a light snack.

• Visited January 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Fun.”
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

I liked that it was so open and very modern funky in design. Felt fun sitting on over sized furniture. Food was good and the service very friendly. Owners gave us home made chocolate and sea salt soap at the end of dinner as a gift. Very nice touch. Really good place to go at the end of the day for a drink on the street side patio. Comfy chairs and a great view of everyone passing buy on their way to enjoy the evening.
Enjoy.

Berlin, Germany
“Almost great”
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

This seems to be the one place in all of Puerto Viejo that gave much thought and effort to its design: It looks very inviting, seating ranges from dinner tables to lounge sofas, all of it comfortable. The staff were quick and remarkably efficient.

There is room for improvement on the culinary side though. We nibbled on yucca chips with mango chutney and ceviche - all of it was super fresh but bland, just a bit of salt would have done the trick.
I had a piña colada that was excruciatingly sweet. I should not have ordered it as the cocktail menu betrayed a complete disinterest in the matter from the start. What a pity!

Dauin, Philippines
“Dessert”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

When I arrived at the restaurant I had eaten already my dinner so I wanted to have a dessert. I was happy to enjoy a special banana, chocolate combo that was delicous and satisfying.

• Visited December 2013