All reviews recommend el jungle house wildlife refuge spider monkeys gracious hosts unique experience pure nature real jungle experience blue morphos doors and windows tin roof every morning living room minute drive magical place punta uva jungle love
Reviewed March 2, 2018

I really don't even know where to start with this review, as El Arbol was such a magical place, words don't feel adequate. I first arrived to El Arbol at NIGHT, and Marilyn took the time to walk me (by flashlight) down the path to the junglehouse to check me in. The custom design of the home itself is something else to behold! From the grand entrance (those stairs & that front door tho!!) to the stone floors, to the winding spiral (Website hidden by Airbnb) was like looking at art to get to know the nooks and crannies of the home. I did this trip ALONE, so it was crazy that first night to hear all the sounds of the jungle. You hear howler monkeys, insects, and birds that you've never heard before. I chose to keep all of the doors and windows open, as everything in the jungle stays wet all the time, and it can get a bit musty if you don't let the fresh air in. Being in the middle of the jungle alone at night with all the doors and windows open for the first time ever is pretty much an out of body experience. By the second or third night, it was completely "normal" and feeling like "home." Some of my faves: • Cooking a meal with the windows over/around the stove wide open. I was sitting there waiting for my water to boil, watching birds I had never seen and amazing bright blue butterflies as big as my face fly by. • Laying on the hammock, having my coffee, and looking over to see a family of spider monkeys passing through. (The mama had a baby on her back and when they got to a safe place, the baby climbed off of Mama, and started crawling/swinging on her own.) • Walking outside during one of the torrential downpours to take an outside shower in the jungle rain. (I know..I’m weird..but it was awesome. I felt like Tarzan’s Jane.) • Doing yoga morning, day, and night on the porch and in the living room. I even brought my aerial yoga silks and hung them on the porch • Sitting in the hanging chair on the porch the morning of my birthday, watching all the liveliness of the jungle (bright yellow birds, butterflies, etc) having coffee, and taking calls from all of my friends and family. • Taking several Epsom/lavender baths in the big jacuzzi tub. (Tip: I’d read reviews that the water wasn’t super hot, so I thought ahead, and while the bath water was running, I also ran 2 whole pots of plain water through the coffee maker and boiled 4 large pots of water (2 at at time) to dump in the (Website hidden by Airbnb) did the trick!) • Waking up early inside the mosquito net bed every morning with the sun and the howlers monkeys I could keep going, but this has gotten too long. All in all, I would a million percent recommend El Arbol...

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed February 23, 2018

Nice place if you want to be all alone. bit of a distance to stores and restaraunts. A little noisey when it rains because of the tin roof but sill enjoyable and you can hear the howler monkeys. tight stairway to upstairs so if you go to the bathroom at night take a bucket or something so you don't have to come down those stairs at night..

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed July 23, 2017 via mobile

Wow! If you want a REAL jungle experience, I am certain this is the only place that can offer this in the area. El Arbol is literally a dream which became a reality for us. My girlfriend and I absolutely loved this place. Generally, we arrive at a place and find little issues that were not mentioned, however, at El Arbol this was not the case. Everything worked well and our trip went extremely smoothly. I attribute this to the wonderful jungle-house as well as our gracious hosts. Marilyn went above and beyond anything we could have ever imagined. Upon our arrival, she helped us plan some awesome excursions and then booked them for us. She also gave us recommendations for almost all of our meals. If we ever needed anything, she was just around the corner and happy to answer any questions. This place is about a 20 minute drive from Puerto Viejo and a few minutes from the Manzanillo beaches. There are also amazing beaches just down the road in Punta Uva which Marilyn was happy to direct us to. The location is definitely secluded and really makes it feel like you are the only ones out in the middle of the Jungle(a very unique and calming feeling). Of course Marilyn and her family are just around the corner and there is another jungle house next to the one we stayed in. Falling asleep to the sleepless jungle and waking up to howler monkeys is an extremely unforgettable experience. If you enjoy wildlife and nature, I can not explain how perfect this place is. We honestly can't wait to plan our next trip here! Recommendations if you go: - Jungle hike with Florentino (You will see incredible wildlife and learn more about nature than you could imagine) - Wake up early and watch the monkeys, blue morphos, and whatever other wildlife greats in the morning from your porch. -The Jaguar Rescue Center Restaurants: Jungle Love, Cool and Calm Cafe, Bread and Chocolate. I doubt anyone can be disappointed at this place. Just book it already!

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2017 via mobile

Our family really enjoyed El Árbol! We were looking for a unique experience and staying in this jungle house provided that.
The hosts were very helpful and communicated so well. Would highly recommend!

Date of stay: April 2017
Reviewed January 10, 2017

Casa del Arbol, superb experience in the middle of the rainforest. I spent 6 nights with my husband and 2 kids and was a lovely opportunity to be the 4 of us surrounded by nature. We woke up with the sound of the monkeys and crickets. Even if it rained for 3 days, our time there was fantastic! Marilyn and her kids couldn't have been more wonderful and helpful. We'd love to come back next year!!

Room tip: Both bungalows are spectacular
Date of stay: December 2016