“Great gardens!”

Mi Casa Hostel El Tesoro
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The series of cabins and the gardens make it quite pretty. Don't take room 3 - the bathroom is way too small! I don't even know how they managed to install a toilet in such a small space. Beds are nice. Refrigerators in rooms. You need to ask for a fan but it does cool down at night. They seemed very eager to please you and responded with requests quickly.
Since you don't want to spend your time in a room (too nice outside!), this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 31, 2013

we stay here for two days and we love the lacation and the beach right across from the street was perfect, chaep for that great service, just need a little bit of attention on the water heater. the gardens are beautiful and tasty wave was so kool

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Thank you for everything! Our groups' stay at El Tesoro cabinas couldn't have been better. Manuel in particular was so attentive, and fantastic at helping us with any need we had during our stay. Can't thank you enough, and would certainly recommend staying here for both the kind hospitality and excellent location!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 29, 2012

i had a great time staying in "El tesoro".
the location was amazing. quiet and beautiful place and not too far from the town.
Manuel, the owner, was really nice and helped me in anyway.
i met a lot of cool people there and the atmosphere was great.
hope to come back there again when i visit puerto viejo.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank nadav d
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed at the cabinas el tesoro for 5 days, 3 in the surf lodge and 2 days in a cabin, and i could apresheate the cool and relaxing atmosphere, as i love cooking so much i could enjoy using the shared kichen that was very well equipayed. I could rent the byci in the hotel, but in the moring, just woke up, 2 steps and directlly to the beach, the fonderfull beachbreak paradise, and when i wanted to go to the town,just in front of the hotel i walked 10 minutes in the wood path on the seaside with a so wanderfull view. In the puerto viejo area i ve seen different places to stay, and this is definitly the best place i found, right price, good quality, nice staff, beautifull nature and confortable locacion!

Room Tip: room numb 3 is really nice
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank lafungaia
Reviewed February 21, 2012

It gives me no pleasure in writing this less than positive review, after spending such a wonderful time in Puerto Viejo, Cocles and Cahuita for our honeymoon.
Despite the valiant attempt to make our stay as wonderful as possible, the flowers in the room could not hide the fact that the room had not been cleaned in quite some time. We were very appreciative of the attempt to make us comfortable upon our arrival, but the flowers placed in the room, and the petals placed on the bed attracted ants by the droves across the pillows and across the spread.
The staff was diligent in changing out the affected linens, but as for taking a relaxing nap, the mood was lost after waiting for that to be done.
After a swim in the ocean across the street, I went in for a shower, and was shocked to find the "hot showers" advertised are actually a mini-hot-water heater attached in - line with the shower head. The power supply to this device is run along side the pipe, exposed to the user. While showering, standing in a puddle of water, attached to ground, the user is required to reach up with wet hands and switch from on to off, or off to on for hot, less hot, or cold water. With a head full of shampoo, and closed eyes, I reached up to switch the water from cold to hot, and received an electric shock. Shocking to say the least, this was very UN-nerving. The last thing I wanted my new wife to find me doing in the shower on our honeymoon was the 120 volt shimmy and shake.
Upon alerting the staff, who was surprised to hear my story . . . they offered us another room to shower in, before dinner. It was identical, yet dirtier. Logic? "If you don't find this death-trap accommodating, maybe you'll find this death-trap more accommodating . . ."
Now I've traveled this earth quite a bit, and never stayed in top-shelf accommodations; to date, this was the worst experience I can recall.
The staff was diligent about changing out the shower head the next day, but as soon as the sun came up, we were checked in at the location we stayed at the previous 2 nights.
As we'd paid ahead, my request for a refund of the un-used nights stay was declined, and only a partial sum of money was returned after making NUMEROUS visits to speak with the manager, who was coming, or going, or here, or there, but never there when he said he would be. Manuel was in Panama for some festivities, and did NOT respond to the personal email I sent him months ago to address this issue.
If you're a teen, or twenty-something looking for a cheap surf spot directly across from the ocean . . . its perfect. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a cold water room to avoid electrocution hazards . . .
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank giggatygiggaty
Manuel104, Manager at Mi Casa Hostel El Tesoro, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

It is really unhappy to receive negatives critics when, contrariwise, we tried to make your vacancy the most comfortable, working the all day to prepare your room.
Concerning flowers decoration, I have been personally careful that the room was romantic and welcoming for the special occasion. If flowers has some ants (if they had been many we would had seen them!) I am really sorry, that is an unexpected when flowers are true and not plastic. Moreover you have to remember that here we are in the tropical jungle.
Here I attach the pictures that I made before your arriving, just because I liked the way the room was decorated. Sheets were absolutely cleaned.
About the shower, the warm water system lorenzetti is almost the only one used in Costa Rica, this is a tropical country , so not specialist in warming systems. Anyway our showers have never given us any problems.
As the manager of this hotel, I appreciate very much how my staff works, being always carefully to the customers needs. That-s why I consider your critics inopportune and unfair.
It is constructive to make self-critic, but in this occasion I am sure about our commitment done for your comfort.

Regards

Reviewed December 13, 2011

If I could describe Cabinas El Tesero in one word it would be comfortable. My friend and I stayed for 3 nights in the four person room. The staff was very approachable and make themselves available to you. Manuel woke up early just to check us in. He anwsered all of our questions even on his day off. I liked how seculded Cabinas El Tesoro is. It was peaceful and the location is very pretty. If I ever come back to Puerto Viejo I will for sure stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends