This is a wonderful property about 1/4 mile off the main (only) road. We stayed in the 3 bedroom house. It was just me and my wife but wanted privacy and our own personal pool.
* Owners: Pepo and Sonny were very nice and helpful. Pepo helped us out a great bit with recommendations on dining and local activities. The only negative is they like to charge $15 USD for one load of laundry, I felt like I was being gouged.
* Breakfast: Breakfast was nice. Always had a fruit bowl, delicious coffee, and a different main course each day.
* Property: The property is well maintained with some landscaping mixed in well with the natural forest. You truly felt like you were a guest to the jungle. We saw sloths, frogs, a toucan, hundreds of humming birds and thousands of butterflies. We had a troop of Howler Monkeys move in and stay in the huge tree right next to our house, that was cool. They did try and poop on us as we walked to our car one evening, they hit my wife a little bit, no worries. The house had a full kitchen upstairs along with the master bedroom. Outside of these rooms was a huge outdoor living space made all of teak wood or something similar. The bathrooms were nice and modern and we always had hot water. A 5 gallon jug of water was provided in the kitchen. The kitchen had all the gadgets you would ever need to cook with. Downstairs were 2 more bedrooms and another bathroom. The downstairs was enclosed and lead to the pool through a large room with a single table and two chairs. The pool was small but adequate and had direct sun from about 1100 to 1330 due to the massive trees all around. The gardener/landscaper guy cleaned it every morning. There are also two outside, cold water showers. Right next to the pool was a large covered deck, with 4 hammocks. We had a private entrance/gate which locked, to bring our car into and park securely. There was a security guy on premises all night.
* The area: From the lodge, you are within walking distance to many restaurants/bars. There is even a good little shopping mart 5 mins walk, we used this a lot. Don't miss dinner at Jungle Love! We ate there twice. Its about a five minute walk to a fairly remote beach. I didn't ever feel like we weren't safe. It was a beautiful beach and a must see. To get to town it was about 5 minutes by car. The town is a nice little town, Id say for fairly young crowd. It has a Rasta flavor and has basically bands on most nights with a few good restaurants. Shopping...forget it. Nothing worth buying AT ALL in this town. I couldn't even get a decent T-shirt. No matter though, we went to relax and enjoy the Caribbean and jungle, not shop. Best place we ate was Koki Beach. Have breakfast at Bread and Chocolate; best egg sandwich I've ever had! Close by and a must do's are: Caribe Horse Riding, Jaguar rescue center, chocolate farm tour, Jungle Massage, and hang at Punta Uva Beach park. We really were impressed with the jungle, beaches, and wonderful people who make up this community. We will be back!
Notes: The drive from San Jose took us 6 hours due to road construction on the way to Puerto Veijo. We landed at 1300 and it was 1500 by the time we got through the rental car process. This put us at about 2+ hours of driving at night. I will say if you are not a very confident driver with good night vision and a GPS, do not drive at night. It wasn't really that bad, just a lot of paying close attention to the roads and all the people along the roads. I purchased a CR GPS map online for $29, it worked great. We rented from dollar they were fine, get the extra insurance, its worth the piece of mind, trust me. It will cost you though. There is some building going on near the La Kukula which included heavy equipment and saws. It only lasted 2 days, but I don't think they're done yet. I would e-mail Pepo and ask about this before you book. They were done before dark, so if you'll be gone most of the day, it is a non-issue. There is a 24 hour stomach bug "going around". Everyone knows about it and no one knows what it is. I got it and it truly lasted only 24 hours, my wife didn't get it. Z-Pack are available by prescription there, not like Mexico where you don't need one. The pharmacia had another item I purchased (red pills) and it worked great, they knew exactly what I needed. I would rent a car, just me, but it helped quite a bit. If you are and XL and do find T-shirts, even at the airport, buy a XXL. Crazy bugs all over the place, but we hardly ever saw mosquito's. I would bring DEET and sunblock from home, it is expensive there. Go and have fun it is a wonderful place which has not been over run yet and is still a bit raw, but worth it! Research before you go, I found this site, you tube, and Pepo to be great sources of information. WiFi is good for what you need. It can be reached from the house on the very edge of the railing. Thanks Sonny and Pepo, we will see you again in a year or two!! Finally, a shout out to Tuni, she does breakfast and cleans rooms too. She is very nice and helpful. She also works at Koki Beach as a server and hooked us up there! Thanks Tuni! Get the Lobster!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Kukula Lodge is situated in Playa Chiquita/ Puerto Viejo, next to Refugio de Vida Silvestre de Gandoca-Manzanillo and Cahuita N.P.Built in 2008, La Kukula Lodge follows the principles of sustainable architecture and only plantation wood (teak) has been used in its construction. With its tropical-contemporary style, the bungalows blend naturally with the wooded surroundings: an ideal location to enjoy the flora and fauna the region has to offer. A simple path system running through the garden links each bungalow, the “rancho-bar” and the swimming pool. There are only 8 rooms available, all are very spacious and airy, with their own deck, fans, bathrooms and hot water from a hybrid solar/electric system. All rooms have fantastic views from private terraces onto the sylvan garden. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Kukula Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Kukula Hotel Puerto Viejo
- La Kukula Lodge Costa Rica/Limon