My boyfriend and I took our first trip to Costa Rica and we spent the last three nights at the Korrigan Lodge. To be honest I wish we would have spent our entire trip there. Erwan and Ingrid (the owners) have really created a wonderful destination for anyone interested in getting away. The property is a short walk from the beach and a few local restaurants.
We stayed in the HEOL bungalow which was absolutely adorable. I was impressed by the cleanliness and the decor. The bed was very comfortable which was relieving because the bed at the previous place we stayed at in Puerto Viejo (Jacaranda) was not comfortable at all. We slept soundly until the howler monkeys woke us up :)
Even better - breakfast is included and is delicious!! Every morning, Erwan and Ingrid would have our place setting waiting for us. They juiced fresh fruit every morning for a very refreshing drink. They then served us a fresh fruit plate with pineapple, bananas, watermelon, mango. Erwan would then cook up some eggs (whichever way you'd like it) and these little sausages. The croissants were very yummy as ours happened to have a little bit of chocolate swirled in it. Mmm Mmmmm Mmmm. All very delicious and very filling.
Since this was our first time to Costa Rica we had so many questions. Erwan and Ingrid are incredibly nice people and answered all of our questions. They set up the zipline/canopy tour for us and also told us about the animal rescue center down the road both which I highly recommend you try when you are there. You get to play with monkeys and hold sloths!!! Very cool indeed.
After talking with Erwan about some of the local wildlife, we had mentioned we hadn't seen any toucans. Being as kind as he is, Erwan took the time and walked us around the property to where the toucans usually hang out. Though we never ended up seeing them, we did see a very large iguana up in the treetops.
Also I can't forget to mention that the family has one of the most friendliest awesome dogs around. Once day we took a walk down a small trail around the property and the dog led the way and made sure we were always behind him and OK. It was like he was showing us around his home.
As other reviewers mention, its very wise to bring flashlights. The jungle can get kind of creepy at night since its so dark. Also definitely take advantage of the free bicycles. Its an excellent way to get around the area.
We highly highly recommend staying at the Korrigan lodge. A wonderful experience at an incredible value. Thank you VERY much Erwan & Ingrid!! We hope to come back soon :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Korrigan Lodge is located in Punta Uva, just a few steps from a beautiful beach, nestled in the heart of the tropical forest. This is an ideal place to fully appreciate the richness of nature with its lush vegetation and its abundance of animal life.Ingrid and Erwan, your French hosts offer quality lodging in 4 comfortable and luxurious bungalows surrounded by a harmonious and enchanting environment designed to guarantee relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Korrigan Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Korrigan Hotel Puerto Viejo
- Korrigan Lodge Costa Rica/Limon