“Tranquillo Baby”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Geckoes Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Geckoes Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Tranquillo Baby”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We spent 7 nights at Geckoes in Casa Del Bosque and it was supremely relaxing.

Location: about 15 minutes walk or 5 minutes drive from the main road, set amongst a perfect patch of sculpted rainforest, replete with howler monkey's, toucans, hummingbirds, native squirrels and other wildlife entertainment. From there it is a short walk to restaurants, a little further to Cocles beach (with lifeguards) and a short drive or US$6 taxi ride to town.

Accommodation: jungle safari luxury with beautiful hardwood construction, four-poster draped bed, rainforest shower, an outdoor kitchen, hammocks, a barbeque and plunge pool. Surrounded by forest, it's very private and idyllic.

Hosts: the wonderful Tom and Zoe, a Dutch/UK combination who have travelled the globe and found a small piece of paradise to shape and share with the rest of us. Always friendly, never intrusive and very diligent and helpful.

What more could a couple ask for!

Room Tip: Both house are very similar, you will not be disappointed by either one but ask Tom and Zoe to descr...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just came back from Geckoes Lodge (my husband and I, and our two boys (10 and 11 years old), after a 4 day weekend. We have been to Puerto Viejo more than 5 times, in several hotels, and we must confess this has been the best experience. From now on, we will always choose Casa Bromelia as our "home" in Puerto Viejo. Casa Bromelia is beautiful, comfortable and inside the most spectacular setting. Thanks Zoe and Tom for sharing with us this little bit of Paradise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 225Beatrizu
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Being a busy family, we wanted a chance to rest and relax and disconnect from it all. Geckoes Lodge provided just that. Tom & Zoe are the most gracious of hosts and literally thought of everything. From restaurant choices, to hints on attractions, they helped make the week amazing. The house was clean and appointed with everything we needed. I actually enjoyed not being on the main street and while still being 5 minute drive from the beaches made it easy to get around. We drove by so many other "resorts" in the area and they don't hold a candle to the luxury of Geckoes as well as the ultra-personalized service.

Room Tip: All rooms are awsome, you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BrookeD66
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2012

As I write this review, post vacation blues have officially set in. I suppose this is a good thing as this means I had a great vacation!!
My three best girlfriends and I stayed a week at Geckoes (Casa Bromelia) to celebrate our 30th birthdays and we absolutely LOVED it. Every day we were in awe of how stunning the lodge is and its surroundings. The property is so beautiful and well maintained but their lovely staff. Tom and Zoe were absolutely wonderful and accommodating. They really made us feel at home and whenever we needed anything, didn't matter what time of day- they were there to help in any way. From the fresh flowers to the welcome champagne and snacks, every last detail is so well done.
I love to travel, and am the type of person that usually doesn't go back to the same place twice. I am always wanting to explore new places. However, this is the first time I can honestly say I WANT TO GO BACK. NOW!. My girlfriends and I feel so lucky to have been able to have this experience and stay at this wonderful place. You really are truly living in the jungle!!! Puerto Viejo and Geckoes lodge= absolute paradise! Complete bliss!

My only piece of advice... if you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs! The jungle sounds are quite pleasant to sleep to, but sometimes the monkey's can be quite loud in the morning (having said that, you will get used to this- it's all a a part of the experience!).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Winter Garden, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 2, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a five day stay at Geckoes Lodge for our Anniversary. I booked the trip in late December and shortly thereafter we found out we were pregnant with our second child. Knowing that we would not be able to sip margaritas or partake in too many activities, we almost decided not to go. Boy are we glad we went!
After a very scenic five hour drive from San Jose, we arrived at dusk. Jose was there to open the gate for us. Tom, Zoe and the guard dogs, Fred and Charlie were standing in the driveway to greet us and walk us up to one of the most beautiful settings we have ever seen. The architecture of the open air villa is fantastic. The kitchen and the living space is open to the jungle, while the large bedroom and the bathroom are inclosed and can be locked. The furnishings are beautiful and there is a private plunge pool for cooling off after a day at the beach. There was fresh fruit on the counter and the fridge was stocked with beer and wine for us. My only concern upon arrival was that our cell phones didn't work in Costa Rica, leaving us no way to call our four year old son back home each night. Tom was right there handing me a cell phone loaded with minutes to use during our stay. The only problem with our villa was that the batteries had gone bad in our safe. In an ordinary place you would probaby get a promise to fix it the next day. Instead, since the other villa was empty, Tom gave me the only master key to hold on to until he could buy new batteries, which he did before breakfast the next day. (this at a place where I could have left a wad of cash sitting on the kitchen counter all day without ever giving it a second thought). Tom and Zoe's troop of animals make you feel right at home. My wife fell in love with Fred and Charlie and their presence onsite made her feel additionally secure, while Pym the cat always seemed to show up at nap time. Let me just say that due to my wife being 5 months pregnant, we did absolutely nothing on this vacation. Everyday, we took their copy of Caribbean Way Magazine and found every beach in it and then came back to our beautiful villa to cool off and relax. We did absolutely nothing and thanks to Geckoes Lodge, we loved it. Keep in mind that this is a jungle. So if big exotic bugs, the sounds of monkeys, or humming birds wizzing by you while you have coffee in the morning bother you, I would vacation in another country, but if your coming to Costa Rica and certainly if your coming to Puerto Viejo, stop reading reviews and just book Geckoes. Geckoes Lodge is a little bit more expensive than other places you will read about, but there is a big reason for that. It is without question the nicest place to stay when in Puerto Viejo. It's worth every penny and I think more. Thanks Tom and Zoe. If your ever in Florida, you can stay with us, it just won't be as nice!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I ordinarily hate filling in guest books at places we stay, normally it's because I am very lazy and end up writing something trite about "lovely view", "nice shower" or "nice bed linens" (if I am really struggling. In the case of Geckoes my lack of enthusiasm for filling in the guest book was simply that it meant we were leaving and frankly I didn't want to!!

Firstly, I should say Geckoes isn't cheap BUT if someone gives you the keys to a Rolls Royce you don't expect that to be cheap either. Also when the Rolls Royce is chauffuer driven by the two of the nicest people you will ever meet you know that whatever price you pay you have a bargain on your hands.

Before I gush embarrassingly about Geckoes just a word or two on Costa Rica. Having never been to this part of the world we did what you (as the reader of this) are doubtless doing, reading all the reviews, travel guides etc. the web has to offer. We read with a degree of jitters the reports on crime, crazy drivers yadda yadda. Our experience though couldn't have been further from what we read -

The DRIVE: the drive from San Jose to Puerto Viejo was absolutely fine, in fact enjoyable, even when Sat-Nav (something you don't really need incidentally) took us through the favella on the way out of the city we didn't feel at risk. Of course it may have helped that we both grew up in the British countryside and have no issues with winding roads and the fact Amy is the world's smoothest driver helped to!

The AIRPORT (SJO): The whole process through the airport (in and out) was smooth, the people friendly and the facility world class (and I see the inside of a LOT of airports in a year). The pre-boarding bag check on departure is a bit odd but painless and we left bang on time. I even got to sit and watch the football (round ball varietal) over coffee before the flight.

The PLACE (Puerto Viejo): Simply stunning - we were there late April so crowds from Easter had gone and to have some of the most amazing beaches almost entirely to your self is amazing - especially for those of us with blindingly pale skin and in built Scottish self consciousness! - "the beautiful people" may disagree as no one is there to admire them! The people, food, cats/dogs, monkeys, iguanas etc etc were all fabulous, I know that sounds cliched but it's true.

Now back to Geckoes!

We stayed in the one bedroom Casa del Bosque and the design, style and finish of the house was immaculate. Everything we needed (including a cold beer) was there for us and lying in the hammock in the afternoon, with a beer and a book (only ever read a page before falling fast asleep!) was bliss and exactly what was needed after a hectic year.

Tom and Zoe (and Holly) are the perfect hosts, it is hard to compliment them enough for what they have created in this magical place. The biggest compliment I can pay them however is that at no point did we feel like a customer or even a guest - we felt like this was our home and that we just happened to have the friendliest and most helpful neighbours in the world! I can't imagine there are many holiday lets where you can walk over to ask a quick question about horse riding and end up staying for several hours drinking G&T!

As animal lovers T&Z's menagerie helped add to the feeling of homliness and having Pym the cat snooze on our bed or laze around our house was lovely. We have also started to give serious consideration to getting a Rhodesian Ridgeback (or two) in homage to the awesome Fred and Charlie.

Anyway I have already written 5 times more than I planned to but such is our love for the place I could go on all day. Suffice to say we will be back ASAP and aim to bring friends to and if you are fortunate enough to have the means and opportunity to go to this amazing place, grab it with both hands and you won't regret it! Oh and also plan to stay for as long as you can, if you don't you will regret it the instant you arrive.

P.S. make sure you eat at El refugio (lovely place, food and people), Bread & Chocolate (cracking brunch) and Salsa Brava (Cerviche!!!) and do take the Waterfall and Watsi Tribe half day trip with Junior ($50/person but well worth it - watch out for bullet ants!).

Room Tip: Both houses are phenomenal - doesn't matter which one you choose.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Fraser S
Columbus, OH
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We just finished up a week at Geckoes and truly had the vacation of a lifetime. The property is stunning and so well managed. I can't say enough good things about our hosts, and all of their help with restaurant recommendations, travel pointers, trusted tour guides, and more. Tom and Zoe's guests are their top priority, and that makes being one of their guests a real treat.

The location of Geckoes is perfect. We were secluded from traffic and road noise, surrounded by rainforest trees and plants (plants that the hummingbirds loved, we got to watch them every day!). We were within walking distance of the beach and a handful of restaurants, and an easy walk or cab ride into Puerto Viejo. The house was so well-kept--I've never wanted to spend time at the place I was staying more than I wanted to go and explore, but the hammocks, plunge pool, and howler monkeys were all keeping us company, so staying in was just as fun as heading out!

As first-time travelers to Costa Rica, we really got lucky in finding and booking this place. I feel like I stumbled upon a best-kept secret, and the next time we go to book it there will be an 8-month waiting list!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple