Rocking J's
$195
$138
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$88
Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$132
$105
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Escape Caribeno(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$71
$68
Hotel Blue Conga(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$75
Hotel Shawandha Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$110
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Boutique Indalo(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$65
$55
Hotel Maritza(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$63
$59
Hotel Banana Azul(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$79
Agoda.com
Coco Loco Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$61
All reviewstile mosaicspuerto viejoevery inchfun placebeach accessbackpackershammocksbonfiremozaicbikerentalcaribbean
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was backpacking with some friends through Costa Rica and we ended up staying longer than planned in this area because of Rockin J's. We opted for the hammock option which we were very happy about because the rooms were very hot and mosquitos seemed to love them. The hammocks were glorious, we loved every minute of our stay at J's. The proximity to the beach and the tv room upstairs were highlights for us. I would highly recommend this hostel to any backpackers looking for a great place to stay and a warm welcoming atmosphere!! All of the staff were fabulous and I would love to go back anytime!!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

This place was so amazing 10 years ago... I came back and was shocked at the development. This used to be a fun but chill place where nighttime entertainment involved stuff like drum playing at the camp fire. Now it's hundreds of drunk people on beer pong tables, screaming and cheering, with cheap music blasting from the bar... It's like staying in a night club...

In addition, the staff is really unfriendly, like other people have noted. I speak Spanish and still no one really took the time to at least say welcome and explain the place a bit. Instead the receptionist, without further explanation, slapped a neon plastic bracelet around my wrist that had the name of the hostel on it. Not a comfortable thing to wear with 30+ degrees out. Then she pointed me towards my room and that was it.

I had booked the private king suite which turned out to be a shoebox of exactly 2,00 m x 1,80m. There was not a single shelf or any space to unpack anything. One window was partly broken and only covered with a curtain from the inside, so obviously there were a couple of mosquitoes in the room. There was no mosquito net over the bed and the ceiling was so low that hanging up mine did not work very well either. I think there would have been a nice terrace but the door was stuck.

I left after 1 hour and found a different place. I would have still given 2 stars because if you are looking for a cheap party hostel, this is the place to go. However, the final straw was that I had booked through their website and had paid all 4 nights via paypal and they did not even refund a part of it, even though I did not even stay the first night. I would have been fine with paying 1-2 nights, but all four definitely was exaggerated.

I found a room twice the size for half the price at a nice little place down the road. Met some nice people, chilled and had the Puerto Viejo experience I remembered and had hoped for. But Rocking J's has definitely lost it's very high position on my list of greatest hostels that it had held for the past 10 years... It's just sad.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank around_the_GL0BE
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Great place, great people...perfect place to relax with your friends and meet new people. Completely different experience, but I don't think it is place for kids. The clubs around the place aren't so good but you will always find something different to to do.

Room Tip: Rent beds instead of rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

Here in low season so little atmosphere but that's fine. Only a couple of friendly staff, the women at reception often appear not to want to help anyone. Needs more bathrooms desperately. Is a great area though and loads of good communal space.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Cheap however we were offered the 'dorms' which were these old shipping containers at the back of the property. They had no ventilation, nor windows and you had to access them through a trap door on the top held down by a brick. If you are claustrophobic I wouldn't recommend that option. We opted for a tent which was ok. However the tents are right near the bar! Maybe bring your earplugs !!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends