Rocking J's
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Escape Caribeno(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Hotel Blue Conga(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Hotel Boutique Indalo(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Umami Hotel(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Hotel Maritza(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Coco Loco Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
Hotel Yare(Cocles)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstile mosaicspuerto viejoevery inchfun placebeach accessbackpackershammocksbonfiremozaicbikerentalcaribbean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Absolutely amazing place to stay, this place is a big hostel, but everyone is down to earth. Jay, the owner, is an awesome person and a fun time. If you're passing through puerto viejo this is the cheapest place to stay. It's about 10 mins out of town, but a very safe walk. You can get a free cab to the place, off the bus, and make sure you get your free coconut from the bar when you check in, lol, worth it. For long term, i would say not the best place. It can be loud at night, but i can sleep through noise. The bar usually closes at 11, but sometimes can be later. Make a mosaic on the wall, get here fast because the walls are almost full. I can't wait to go back! (:

Room Tip: The tents are like your own private room. The hammocks are nice too, i didn't stay in a hammock.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This is a fun place to stay! Lots of open, common areas make it very easy to meet people. The food at the restaurant is great, but kind of pricey. A couple of the bartenders are nice, but the rest of the staff isn't very approachable or friendly. There isn't any hot water or free coffee. The wi-fi is good as long as you're close to the reception area/restaurant, but doesn't work in the hammock area or in most of the rooms. It's a short walk from the main street in Puerto Viejo, which is a great little town! Overall, this was a fun place to stay, and I'd recommend it to social travelers who want to meet some new people!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This was my first hostel experience. I LOVED it! I stayed in one of the hammocks, I met a bunch of new and interesting people, and I had the time of my life. The hammocks were a lot more comfortable than I thought they would be! If you have a problem with the height they're pretty easy to manipulate. The beach is a fifty yard walk from the main area. The decorations are sick. It's a bit of a walk from the town (with all the bars). But they have a bar at Rocking J's and they have some pretty cool deals in terms of ladies night, free shots before 11, etc. If you're in Costa Rica, a trip to Rocking J's is NECESSARY! I still have vivid memories from staying there two and a half years ago!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I wouldn't say this was a true Costa Rican experience but it was a fantastic place to meet fellow travelers and sleep cheap! Stayed for a total of 7 nights. It can be pretty loud and crowded. I dont not drink or smoke but I still had a blast and made a lot of new friends. The art here is awesome and the lockers fit my 90 liter backpack and my rented snorkeling gear =] Cooking in the communal kitchen was a fun way to meet people. Cold showers. Right on the beach!

Room Tip: Get a hammock. Though I believe the cheapest option is using your own tent.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed here for about 5 nights on our two week trip to CR and stayed in the hammocks which were so cheap! The hammocks were decent, personally didn't find them all that comfortable as they were so low, practically scrapping the floor, but we had decent sized lockers as you are literally in a hammock and nothing else around you. The whole place was amazing in terms of the decoration and they had cheap food and a bar with drinks. My friend managed to actually meet J himself and he took her on a tour of he whole place and let her make her own mosaic which is pretty amazing! Its was not the party place we had heard of but maybe we were there are the wrong time of year. The staff at the reception were memorably bad, really unfriendly and unapproachable, so much so I actually commented about it to the nice bar man, he said it was a bit of an issue, maybe they have bucked up who knows! I would recommend this place but not for more than a night or two, not as happening as we had thought!

Room Tip: Choose a hammock for the fun factor!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends