“The best hostel in Central America”
Review of Pagalu Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Pagalu Hostel
Reviewed April 17, 2010

After travelling during 4 months in Central America (Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama) and sleeping in lots and lots budget/backpackers hostels, this was the best, without a doubt. We paid US$ 20 for a double room with private bathroom. The hostel is beautiful, modern, clean, new (or fairly new), the kitchen is well equipped... it could well be in an architecture book/magazine!!!! Free WiFi... excellent choice. If you don't have a laptop, you may also use two Apple computers they have there. Amazing!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 9, 2010

Thanks to the review I found on Trip Advisor, I decided to toss the lonely planet and what a great decision - this is perhaps my favorite hostel of all time. I was lucky enough to score a single room - it was simple, very clean, new and very comfortable mattress and pillow. The room was even cleaned every other day. The Swiss brothers that run the place were very friendly and helpful. The common areas were awesome - great kitchen, lounging areas, etc. I can't recommend enough. The word is obviously getting out, on my return they were booked, so reserve ahead!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 18, 2010

We stayed in Pagalu after it had just opened, recommended by a fellow traveller who spoke of it in the highest terms. It exceeded our recommendations, and we extended our stay because it was too hard to leave. We stayed in both a dorm and a private room, and both were clean, comfortable and well designed. That philosophy extends throughout the whole place, and it sets the bar as to how a boutique hostel/inn should be. It is a stone's throw from the action, yet you can get a good nights sleep, it has the best kitchen of any hostel I have seen, and wonderful areas in which to relax and enjoy the costa rica coast. Choosing to stay at Pagalu is easy. Leaving is the hard part.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2009

The staff here was very helpful. After many late nights in San Jose I needed some rest and relaxation. Puerto Viejo has numerous places to get your groove on, but Pagalu was a great place for home base to rest and recharge. Very family like atmosphere. Definitely a great place to stay.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Great kitchen, common area. Nothing but great things to say about this place. Almost brand new and very comforatable!

Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2009

Friends and I stayed both in the dorms and in a private double and both experiences were great! The private room was very well priced and super clean. The dorm was clean and well furnished as well. The location of the hostel is great; right off the main street but far enough so that you can actually get a good night's sleep. They have a kitchen, lounging area, and two computers with free internet. The staff is really friendly as well. I would definitly recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 28, 2008

Let me start by saying I was stuck in Puerto Viejo due to the floods and dangerous rain and I was able to luckily stay at Pagalu for several nites. It is the cleanest hostel I have encountered in my life. I have backpacked Europe, Southeast Asia, and South America, and this hostel sticks out as simply being amazing. The rooms are not overcrowded with 16 beds, they only have 4. It is a brand new facility with top of the line modern showers, exceptionally well kept and clean bathrooms, and hot water. The common area is very clean and cozy, open on 3 sides with no doors, and has plenty of lounge area for playing music, reading, or just relaxing.

One of the owners, Christian, helped me a great deal as I needed to reroute my itinerary as well as cancel and change travel plans. He helped me find the proper phone numbers, and was kind enough to let me use his telephone to call several places. I injured myself on the beach and he was kind enough to give me an icepack, give me a trash bag to cover my backpack from the pouring rain, etc.

It is also useful that the owner can fluently speak 5 languages, being able to cater to most travelers that go by Puerto Viejo. I highly recommend this hostel, and at only $8/nite for a dorm bed, it's the best value in Central America.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)