“Laid back luxury hostel”
Review of Pagalu Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Pagalu Hostel
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I've traveled to dozens of countries and stayed in countless hostels, and Pagalu is easily my favorite. You get luxury amenities for backpacker prices, the location is great, and the staff and crowd are awesome. I stayed there with my wife and a few friends in the three weeks leading up to our wedding, and we were delighted with our stay.

It's a really laid back place and there are almost always people in the lounge area to relax and have a drink and/or conversation with, but it's not a party hostel, so when you do want to get some sleep, you can. The staff is helpful, friendly, and they seem to speak any language you can think of.

Everything about this hostel is great. Comfortable beds, good showers, internet/wi-fi, great people, etc. The ONLY negative we experienced is that there are usually a ton of mosquitos around in the lounge area, but all the guests seemed to take it in stride--just bring your bug spray. This hostel couldn't be any more perfect.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 1, 2011

If you're looking for an affordable hostel that has a mature crowd and friendly staff then this is the place to stay. I stayed in Puerto Viejo with six of my friends for 3 weeks and our first hostel was Rock n' J's. It was too shady for us and the atmosphere was like a frat house with way too many young occupants and way too little space. So we switched to Pagalu the next day. It was the best decision we ever made. The location might be a block away from the beach but the rooms and facilities are well maintained and the staff are super chill and mature. Moreover, the staff comprise of diverse folks from Canada, Jordan, Germany, and Spain. Hot shower is always available, as well as laundry service for $7 a load. The dorms are $10 per person which is not bad compared to other cabinas and hostel around the area. Also, towels are free upon request and soap is also complimentary. They don't take reservations so if you're a planner freak then forget about it since this place is a hit or miss. Mosquitos might also be an issue but that's always the case in Puerto Viejo. The communal area is super chill with a spacious kitchen and fridge for all to share. I highly recommend this place because I really felt at home for 2 and a half weeks and shout out to Teddy the guard dog and all the staff whos become my family in Puerto Viejo.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed here for longer than we originally thought we would, the hostel was great. The owners are two brothers who really could not be more attentive or helpful. We couldn't download our photos, do they helped us and carried it put themselves, without even charging us for the dvds! The property itself is lovely, and how nice it it's to have hot showers after the crazy electric showers they have in central america! If you're going to puerto viejo, I would strongly recommend staying here above any of the above places...I definitely plan on going back at some point.

The personal welcome from the owners, and feeling as though you are their friends is what makes staying here with it.

Don't think, just do it!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This hostel had a warm and friendly vibe.
When we arrived they were booked so we stayed at Cabinas Guarana and loved it. My brother later stayed in a dorm room at Pagalu (to save money since he was by himself) and enjoyed it. He went first thing in the morning which is what I recommend. Most of the travelers looked to be in their early 30s and the atmosphere was very chill. He absolutely loved it so I am writing this review for him.

It is just a couple of blocks from the beach and restaurants but just far enough to be quiet. There is also a grocery store near by which makes it convenient to cook for yourself. I highly recommend the restaurant Jammin' (Just past Flip Flop) which was the best food I had during my entire 3 week stay! Try the sangria and fish tacos! Also, Veronica's Place is lovely if you like healthy eating. Both are moderately inexpensive.

Room Tip: No reservations so go early!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 14, 2011

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed at. Spotless, well designed, great value for money, lovely staff.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed in Pagalu Hostel for 4 days in June 2011 and it was just perfect. It's clean, quiet, safe( we felt really secure) and the manager is really friendly and profesional.

You just feel at home, there is a kitchen, free wifi( speed one), books that you can exchange for free. The manager and employees are here to help you and to give you advices.

I truelly recommand this hostel and it would be a great pleasure to go back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Pagalu is the perfect place if you are looking for a quiet, comfortable place to crash. After traveling Central America for 3 months and staying in lots of hostels, this was probably my favorite. I have found that besides having wifi, safety, security and cleanliness, there are lots of little things that make a place better than the rest. Things that make Pagalu stand out:
- It's quiet and relaxing, with lots of cozy places to sit and hang out (before this place I stayed and Rocking J's and felt like I was sleeping at the bar. It was awful.)
- Nice kitchen to cook in with free coffee and tea all day
- Computers with headphones to use
- Big dorm rooms with comfortable beds (I stayed in one with 4 beds and we had lots of space. I hate being cramped in a tiny room)
- Reading lights next to each bed (loved this)
- A large locker and shelf for each person in the room (your room stays unlocked, and you lock all your stuff in your locker)
- Big, clean, modern showers with a shelf and hook and hot water

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo