“Study Abroad”
Review of Hotel Guarana

Hotel Guarana
Reviewed February 11, 2012

My stay at this place during my study abroad trip during the winter months was so awesome. I loved the chilled, relaxed atmosphere of this place. I loved the owners, and I also loved how close it was to everything. The place is decorated awesomely with bright colors and really has a true tropical, Costa Rican feel. And every room has a hammock in the front! It's also nice to have warm water and a fan in the room. I loved staying at this place and I loved the town its in.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Guarana

Reviewed January 28, 2012

I love Hotel Guarana. Paolo and Gia are wonderful hosts and very friendly. Rooms are clean and very brightly colored. Close to everything in town , yet quiet at night. I stayed 12 days and slept well every night. Alma the receptionist helpful with much info regarding the area.i Can't wait till I can return. Kitchen is well equiped for whipping up a fresh meal. The gardens are beautiful.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Debra S
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We arrived in Puerto Viejo at night after a very long bus ride. When we arrived at Hotel Guarana we were extremely happy we had booked there (we just emailed them the day before we arrived as were able to get a room). The owner, Paolo is super friendly and made us feel at home right away. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms are quite basic, but each have their own little patio with a hammock. The reception/communal area is also great for lounging around in and using the free wifi. The location is just a couple blocks off of the main road so it is totally safe to walk back to in the evenings. They also keep the front gates locked at night (but you are given a key) as well as provide as safe in the room which helps allieviate any concerns about safety and security. Our only disappointment is that we didn't discover the TREE HOUSE on the property until the day we were leaving!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Azeret
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Guarana three years ago and have nothing but great memories of my stay. Im actually going back in April and have already booked my stay. Aside from it being a clean, comfortable room, its just beautiful. The decor of the hotel is beautiful with colors and a little piece of the rainforest in the middle of it all. It can be a romantic stay for a couple and a comfortable, fun and safe stay for a group of friends. I made sure to have my tea in the morning while lounging on the hammock outside my room....so relaxing.

The location is perfect, it is within walking distance from the center of town (which is very safe) yet a ina quiet area where one can relax.

And of course, the owner, Paulo, was sooooo helpful, and friendly. He recommended great places and made the stay at Cabinas that much better. It felt like I was staying at a friends house. I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Cant ask for much more than here. The prices are great, the hotel is a block off of the main strip and close to good restaurants and bars. The room I was in was simple, but decorated which was nice. I only needed it as a place to sleep and shower, and it was perfect for that. What makes this spot awesome is the owner / staff. Paolo is such a great person, very out going and makes you feel like you're visiting an old friend. The rest of staff was very friendly, always saying and good afternoon with smiles.

Without a doubt I recommend this as a quiet place to retreat to while you are enjoying the area.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We really enjoyed the nicely decorated, comfy and clean rooms. The atmosphere is friendly and the owner, Paolo, is even more. The common areas are well equiped and the kitchen is clean. Good quality-price value!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank giulia c
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stayed two nights here (Dec 25 and 26) and was sad that I had to leave. I loved the room, loved the porch, and loved the common area. The whole property has a wonderful feel. The owner is a wonderful man who always went out of his way to make sure the guests were comfortable. He gave excellent practical advice on where to eat, what to do, where to go. I can't think of a better place to have spent Christmas Day!!! I can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: I was traveling alone. My room had two twin beds that, although basic, were very comfortable. They w...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo