“Basic but a good option in Limon.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Park Hotel

Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Limon
Orotina, Costa Rica
“Basic but a good option in Limon.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

If you are staying in Limon it's generally because you've got to. If you had more flexibility you'd be in Cahuita or Puerto Viejo. Given that, then, The Park Hotel is an okay option. Rooms are 1970's style but clean, and beds are comfortable. AC works. TV was terrestrial channels only (brush up your spanish) - no cable. Unlike other reviewers I got a charming reception lady but a surly waiter in the restaurant. I was in no hurry for service, or my bill, and just as well, really. Food was plentiful and filling if you are hungry. $26 for Main course, Ice cream, two soft drinks. Stayed here for business because I had to, would not stay here for pleasure. No pool, by the way.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bozeman
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

The Park Hotel was clean and had great food and service. Unfortunately, no hot water. Our room was nice, with a little balcony that looked out at the ocean. The staff was friendly and the location was great.

Room Tip: Our room was located along a busy street. I would recommend asking for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hosner
guanacaste
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

We spent a night there right after our visit to Puerto Viejo, as we were on our way to Tortuguero. We stayed on the 3rd floor with the view to the ocean. We ate at the restaurant there the food and the service are ok. The hotel is convenient to spend the night as you come or go. The rooms are clean.The hotel offers parking space. I do not recommend to walk around town, except if you go by car or taxi to Restaurant "El Faro".

Room Tip: Book 3rd floor with ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jose b
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

So, I checked this place out after reading some sketchy reviews I was a little apprehensive but it looked to be the best option for our requirements (1 night) I was right to be.

I checked out their flash new website online, it had a reservation page that would take payment and guarantee your room. I was in a little rush so decided to ensure we got confirmation that the booking and payment were made. Having filled out a lot of information including my passport number and all card details (incl card security code) I was issued with a confirmation.

Upon checking in I was asked for payment. When I disputed this by saying payment had been made I was informed that this was not the case, they do not take payment (despite the website saying they did and the webpages going through all the usual processes to look like card payment had been debited). When I asked to speak to the Manager I was told that the manager wasnt available.The woman was extremely rude and she kept on speaking to other colleagues in Spanish (I do not think she realised I can understand Spanish and some of the comments were not flattering) I am pregnant and after a long jouney the woman refused me access to the room until I paid again. The standoff went on for about 45mins until my husband surrendered our passports, saying we wouldnt be going anywhere until we got them returned and resolved the payment issue. I kept on insisting that I speak to the manager as the website (which I was now thinking was fake had all my personal details including card information) claimed to say that the payment had been taken.

To cut a long story short, I never ended up speaking to the manager, I was assured by another employee the next morning that payment hadn't been taken as they couldn't (yet had all my details) and that the only person who had access to my details was the hotel manager. All very fishy. A legitimate looking website with the padlock sign saying secure online booking.. but where your details go is a mystery. I ended up paying again with the same card if I get debited twice I can charge it back.

On a plus, the restaurant was excellent and the staff in there very friendly and efficient. Pity the woman on check in hadn't been trained as well in customer service.

Having been in South and Central America travelling for the last 10 months, this has to be the worst experience checking in I have encountered. I have stayed in over 180 different hotels / hostels so have some experience.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front / street can be a little noisy
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank UKTraveller2009
Linbing, Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
I am sorry to hear this . I think maybe the receptionist did not explain clearly and make our misunderstanding each other. The reservation with creditcard is just for guarantee. we did not deduct money from your account (**please check your accout ) ,so you was asked to pay when you chenk in. Anyway we wish you have a good trip in Costa Rica.

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Limon hotels

Dawlish, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

The Park Hotel is probably the only place to stay in central Puerto Limon. It is right next to the sea but also in the centre of town. The restaurant has good sea views. You can walk to whatever you wish to see within three blocks (its a small place)

The hotel is fairly basic, more of a motel than a hotel. It is spotlessly clean. Bed linen was good quality and the beds are comfortable. The AC works. The staff are helpful and friendly. The restaurant serves straightforward meals, nothing fancy!

Our room was quite small and dark. It faced the road which meant that we were entertained by the soundtrack from the gym across the road (7 am - 9 pm). The bathroom was clean but small and dark. Cable TV had poor reception.

There are better, more expensive rooms, facing the sea but they may not warrant the extra cost. I would either stay outside the town or head for a final destination rather than stay in Puerto Limon for preference.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the sea have full length windows and balconies.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

We chose this hotel because it is in the center of Port Limon and walkable to shops, park, and several churches. We had requested in advance and were told that we would have rooms with a view of the ocean. When we arrived we had the worse set of rooms for the hotel: 2nd floor overlooking the gym across the street. The noise level was non-stop. that gym plays subwoofer loaded music from early am to 9pm. When the gym stops the bar on the corner takes over. Did I mention all the road noise, motorcycles, trucks, screeching cars. I was here a week and got the full effect of the noise. In addition, the bright street lights shine into the room at night making darkness for sleeping impossible even with curtains drawn. The water doesn't drain from the bottom of the shower BUT there is an option of a warm shower. There is a great remote control AC in the room. There is not a desk or chair in the room. The mattress is hard, there is a safe in the closet, etc.
The good of this hotel is the staff very helpful patient with my spanglish. The food in the hotel is good especially the red snapper and the fruit plates. It is expensive but very fresh. Do not order the asparagus salad it is made with canned asparagus and awful. The stay comes with a free breakfast of eggs, white toast, rice and beans a glass of canned juice and tea or coffee. There is free internet but you must get the code daily from the front desk.
On yes, this hotel is very clean and they work really hard to keep the mold out of the bathroom. I would stay here again but demand room on the quieter side of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

Nice hotel.
Breakfast was always good.
Stayed with a group. The maids went through a few peoples bag and stole $300 from the luggage. Thankfully the hotel "recovered" $150

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mrbrentharris
Linbing, Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2011
Good Day Sir.
We the Hotel would like to thank you for staying in our hotel and for writing a review of the hotel service. As for your unfortunate situation, the hotel has its own policy about valuable objects; each room of the hotel has its own safe, so each guest can use the safe to put your own valuable objects in the safe. Hope that when you come again, please put any valuable object of your own in the safe.
Thank you very much, and have a nice day.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Limon
Suizo Loco Lodge Hotel & Resort
Hotel La Uvita
Hotel La Uvita
#2 of 7 in Puerto Limon

Been to Park Hotel? Share your experiences!