Hotel Playa Westfalia
Park Hotel(Puerto Limon)
$62
Hotel La Uvita(Puerto Limon)
TripAdvisor
Green Gold Ecolodge(Puerto Limon)
Hotel Costa del Sol(Puerto Limon)
TripAdvisor
The Lion Fish Hostel(Puerto Limon)
Hotel Cerere(Puerto Limon)
TripAdvisor
Maribu Caribe Hotel(Puerto Limon)
Priceline
TripAdvisor
All reviewsplaya westfaliapuerto viejothe ownerthe east coastcomfortable roomshot waternice pooloutstanding servicenice restaurantseveral daysbigger roomearly flightbreakfast was includedsecurity guardwifi accessbeach accessdiana
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We recently made plans to visit Limon in order to spend a day with friends stopping on a cruise boat. We stayed two nights at Hotel Playa Westfalia which is 10 km south of Limon on the beach. Great staff. Comfortable room. We ate four meals at their restaurant and were pleased. Dianna, owner/manager went out of her way to help us with information about the area. Limon is not an area one would want to visit, as it is a rough port town, but if you need to be there, this hotel works well.

JP, Punta Leona

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JohnRPrice
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you for the great review. I am so lucky to have a great staff working for us in Costa Rica. I see you are from Naples and I own a small hotel in Indian Shores also called Sun Burst Inn. May all your travels be great!!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at the Westfalia for two nights and had a great time! Diana was most helpful and accommodated me wherever possible. The hotel is in an excellent location and right on the beach, a great spot to stop if you want to explore the East coast of Costa Rica. Great food and great value! Rooms were also very clean and the hotel was safe and secure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank 422EricB
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Thanks for the great review. We are very lucky to have such a charming and competant manager like Diana to run our little hotel.

Hope you can return sometime!

Michael & Marilyn

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed Hotel Playa Westfalia with my boyfriend as we traveled to Puerto Viejo. We actually stayed here an extra night because we found it so delightful. My favorite thing about this place was watching the waves crash onto the beach every morning as we ate delicious breakfast in the open-air restaurant. They served us the best coffee and great scrambled eggs with beans and rice. Also, the rooms are nice and spacious, and the A/C works wonderfully (for my fellow hot-blooded Americans). The pool is lovely and cool, and very family friendly. You will most likely encounter kids while staying here, but it's certainly not a problem. The beach is hop away from the hotel, and I highly recommend watching a sunrise from it. The beach itself has some natural debris (such as trees - no big deal at all) and seems less populated in this town. If you want to spend a day on a quiet, natural beach, Playa Westfalia is prime for that. Make sure to introduce yourself to the lovely general manager Diana. She made us feel very welcomed and we were so very grateful for her hospitality. Also, the staff provide very professional service.

Room Tip: Our room was on the side closest to the road. I heard trucks sometimes at night if I left my windows open. It didn't bother me, but one might want to request a room nearest to the beach.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EmilySprouse
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thanks for your review and the time you took to write it. We are so happy you enjoyed yourself and hope that you visit us again.

I am especially luky to have a great mnager (Diana) and such great employees that always try to help the guests and make a positive impression.

Again, Thank You!

Michael & Marilyn

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed at this hotel our first two nights in Costa Rica. The view from the hotel restaurant was beautiful, and the ocean was a nice calm way to be greeted to the country. The restaurant's food was very good, but from here this hotel went downhill.

In a country with this climate it is to be expected to have some bugs in the rooms, what we were not expecting were scattering bugs in the bathroom when we turned on the lights. The room had a musty smell, and we could not really alleviate this, because the air conditioning unit did not work. The hot water also did not work, nor did the phone, which was challenging as we needed it to confirm our reservation for the next day. It was extremely hot and humid, so in some ways the shower not providing hot water was not horrible... but it did take your breathe away first thing in the morning. The other negative was the pool. It was very pretty, and has ocean views... but it is open to the public. This is not advertised, and they even have posted that pool users have a minimum bill they must spend... but this did not seem to be enforced, and both times we attempted to use the pool it was overflowing with kids treating it like a playground. Not a peaceful, relaxing setting for a way to unwind. The patio furniture is bolted down, so moving away from the noise was not really an option, and even the hot-tub was overflowing with kids because it was the same exact temperature as the pool.

The only reason we did not give this hotel a 2 star review is the view, the restaurant (very yummy, but slow service), and the people that were very friendly. We also had an impromptu dinner hosted by the Mayor of Limon and got to enjoy their music they brought in for dinner one night.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor closest to the street, room 4. Heard a few large trucks at night. The rooms bugs and smell would be best to be avoided.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravelingBrianandKim
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Hello;

First I am sorry you did not enjoy yourself at our hotel. I have contacted my manager and she has told me that she does not know why your AC and water heater would not be working as she has not had any complaints either before or after you. She will be checking into that and wishes you had mentioned it at the time you stayed so she could have had it addressed. Mystifying but the only thing I could think of was possibly a circuit breaker in the electrical panel. The musty smell she said comes from our excessive rainy season this year as do the bugs. Although we spray often, the battle is always uphill. I guess that comes from the tropical area.

She did think she remembered you and that she thought you had stayed on a Thursday & Friday which are usually not that buy around the pool area. The minimum billing is only applied to non-guests, not yourself. We are a small hotel and depend on revenue from our restaurant and bar to survive. If we were larger of course it wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, I hope that the rest of your trip went well and that you had a great time in Costa Rica. It's a wonderful country.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed one night at the westfalia resort. 7 miles south of porta limone. We traveled around the east coast for a day. and decided to stay another night, because of the hotel and the people there. Diana Mapi the manager was very nice and helpful. Kudos to her and her help.

Room Tip: Check to make sure the a/c is working and the fans are quiet
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rowzee1
MrMichaelFlorida, Owner at Hotel Playa Westfalia, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

I am sorry for such a late reply. For some reason, I was not notified of some of my reviews, yours being one of them. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and hope you can come again in the future!