“Best option for Chirripo National Park”
Review of Hotel Uran

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chirripo National Park
Hotel Uran
Reviewed July 9, 2012

A very nice hotel that is reasonably priced and perfectly situated if you plan to hike Chirripo National Park. The restaurant is very good and there is a small store in the hotel that sells food for the hike.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed here the night before I hiked Chirripo and was disappointed. I stayed in the value rooms for $20 which included breakfast. The rooms consisted of a bunk bed shoved into a tiny room with openings near the ceiling that connected to the next-door room. This meant you could hear everything your neighbor did along with the other 30+ people who were also tucked into the exact same rooms down the same hallway. If one person snored, all 30 people got to experience it. And when one person woke up in the morning, everyone woke up. I felt a bit like cattle herded into a cold stall. The showers were unwelcoming, there was no common area to organize anything, and the sleep that I got the night prior to the hike left a lot to be desired.

The restaurant is nice, the location is great for starting your hike, and I think the owners will come pick you up from the bus station which is a plus, but there are definitely other options that provide more comfort, hospitality, and amenities for the value.

Room Tip: Choose a private room. Don't go for the bunk-beds in the hallway.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Hotel El Uran was a real find for my cousin and me to be in the mountains in Costa Rica. Even though we weren't hiking Chirripo, we did enjoy a beautiful hike to the Cloudbridge Reserve and a hike to the the Hot Springs. It was great to have the restaurant with excellent food and service right there. The mountain air, clear skies, and cool nights were very relaxing. Our ride down to our early bus departure in the dark when we had to chase the bus was quite an adventure!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2012

En-suite rooms are spacious, good hot shower and restaurant good value. Great location - 50 m to trailhead and close to Cloudbridge reserve. Much nicer to stay here than in the village. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My boyfriend and I recently stayed two nights at this hotel. We chose it for its proximity to the base of Cerro Chirripo and it was perfect for lodging before and after climbing the mountain. The service we received, both from the guy at the reception desk, and the waitresses in the restaurant, were both above and beyond. The guy spoke English, so this greatly helped us out with our questions that we had about the mountain and transportation. The rooms were clean and small, but extremely affordable and it was all we really needed. The food at the restaurant was the best we had in Costa Rica and it was extremely inexpensive as well. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AM C
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Hotel Uran is very convenient located for hiking Cloudbridge reserve (highly recommended! 1 to 5 hour hikes, good trails, but you won't see many other people) and Cerro Chirripo. Restaurant is open from 4.30am for breakfast! They do great sandwiches for packed lunch. Restaurant closes at 8pm I think, which if fine; everybody goes to bed early. Wifi available. You might want to bring your mosquito net. Very friendly, customer focussed family business.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2010

This restaurant has great food and the staff are wonderful. This restaurant is really clean and while I did not stay in the hotel I would do so on my next visit because this is clearly a well managed business with fine staff.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend. Everyone I met while we were visiting that were staying in this hotel agreed it was comfortable and clean. A really lovely run business. They speak English here too.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Uran? Share your experiences!