See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Although this hotel, with its excellent location across from the beach, should be a going concern, it has been hampered by several changes of ownership and management over the years, most of whom appear to know little about the hospitality industry. I have been a loyal fan for a long time in spite of this because of the hotel's location and design but, with all the lovely alternative choices existing in this delightful little town of Cahuita, I have lost patience with it. Recently, I contacted the hotel to see if I could use the wi-fi in their spacious, open air lounge area if I purchased beverages or food. The answer was no. This isn't an establishment that welcomes travellers or looks for ways to promote itself and generate business. It appears to be insular and closed. Even the hedge around the property has been allowed to grow to over twelve feet high, effectively obstructing one of its best features - the view of the Caribbean just across the road.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Palmetta1
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We were charged 50 bucks, the man next to us was charged 60. The Italian man working the counter told us the island was full and we would have a hard time finding a place, that was a lie. We went down the street the next day and found a private cabin for 30 bucks. Go to Cabinas Brigitte just south of Jaguar.. Much better place. Jaguar provided a weak breakfast, then charged us 6 bucks a plate for it.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Wowirock
Reviewed January 5, 2010

I stayed at the Jaguar in Feb 2007 and found it very disappointing, practically deserted, dirty pool and all furniture very old and shabby. I'm going back to Cahuita this month and will take a look at the Jaguar as friends have told me that it's been renovated and cleaned up. I realise my review is a bit out of date (it's now 2010), but as my friend assures me that it's improved I'll write more on my return. But as stated by other reviewers - it's a very long way from the decent beaches.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank WElltravelled046
Reviewed September 30, 2009

For $40 a day, you can lodge up to five people per room. There are vaulted ceilings, ensuite shower, foam mattresses, TV, and the beautiful Playa Negra within 200 metres of the room. Also available in each room are magazines in five languages. The front counter sells beverages, snacks, and bottles of Imperial cerveza.

Tourists are mostly American, German, and Dutch. The Costa Rican women in nearby Cahuita are beautiful. The Spanish spoken is understandable and clear. Glowing skin, always with a smile on the face and personable.

The Hotel Jaguar is not easily found from nearby National Route 36, but with a little luck, you will find one of the best deals and beautiful scenery on the Moskito Coast and Play Negra.
I was amazed by the lack of crowds at Playa Negra -- had the beach all to myself! The Caribbean water is 20C, very comfortable. On the shoreline are fallen coconuts and driftwood.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank calrog
Reviewed March 2, 2009

One advice, do not give your credit card number to Hotel Jaguar in Cahuita ‘cause they’ll automatically charge 50% of your 2-day stay or 30% or your 3+day stay, even 2 months ahead… And if you try to cancel even 5 days in advance, they do not refund.
Stay away from them.