“I love staying at the Jaguar”
Review of Hotel Jaguar

Hotel Jaguar
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Cahuita
Vancouver
“I love staying at the Jaguar”
Reviewed March 1, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel a few times over the years and am glad to see that the new owners are doing renovations and taking care of this excellent property located right across the road from Black Beach, on the Caribbean.

What the Jaguar has that most hotels in Cahuita don't is large, airy rooms that catch the ocean breezes because of the slatted wooden shutters on both sides of the room as well as the high ceilings that allow for air flow. There are no mosquitoes or muggy times here. All rooms have two queen size beds and plenty of space to move around in.

The main reception/restaurant/pool area is a pleasing, attractive, open and airy location under a large roof. It's spacious and comfortable. We drove into Cahuita without a reservation at 9:00 pm and were able to get a room, were well-treated and could have even ordered something to eat until 10:00 pm. Wireless internet access is available for persons with laptops. One woman sat at a table in the restaurant and spoke with her family in England using Skype.

From the back door of the room, we can walk into the back garden and to the pool. The front patio in front of each room is equipped with utilitarian white plastic table and 4 chairs (they used to have comfortable wooden lounge chairs that one could lay in which I preferred).

The renovations mean that the rooms now have good locks, the bathrooms are equipped with hot water, the 'suites' have curtains on the windows and percolators. They are somewhat basic in that the large areas are free of convenient benches to put suitcases, etc.

I was happier with the front staff (evening) than I was with the previous managers who had no idea how to welcome guests. In fact two years ago we didn't stay because the pool was dirty and the general air of neglect turned off my co-travelers.

I find the price of the most economical rooms to be very competitive and reasonable although these rooms are located farthest from the pool and restaurant.

• Liked — Spacious, fresh ocean breezes, restaurant/pool location
  • Disliked — slow restaurant service, parking area could use some shade for cars
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Palmetta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Florida
Reviewed January 11, 2008

Traveling with pets can be a challenge, but this hotel welcomed our dog and 2 cats. The rooms were large, clean and very airy. No need for airconditioning but our room did have a floor fan. With plenty of windows and great views we needed blankets not airconditioning. The new owners of about 2 years have been busy making improvements. Although the restaurant now only serves breakfast and sandwiches we did not find that inconvenient. They did however serve a very nice meal for New Years Eve. We were given a key to the very neat and clean communal kitchen which had all the conveniences needed to prepare any meals we chose, and of course there are multiple restaurants within walking distance.
The grounds were beautiful and seeing a howler monkey in a tree by the very clean pool, a family of sloths in the trees near the beach, horses and other native animals was quite a treat. You can rent a bike on the grounds, visit the book store/exchange or arrange a tour. The beach is just across the road and a great place to collect driftwood and shells.The staff was more than helpful and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — rest, relaxation and a courteous staff
  • Disliked — internet service in the hotel, the signal did not reach our room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank NomadAdventurer
San José
Reviewed February 13, 2007

I`ve noted that all the reviews are old.
I don`t think they represent the real situation of the hotel.
Now they have a international, italian, creole cuisine, with a new Pizzeria too.
I`ve seen a beautiful calypso concert in the new restaurant. They have a lot of proyect about music.
The gardens are simply beautiful, and the first block of 10 rooms have minibar and coffe maker too.
I also recommend this place, for the prices.
4 or more people spend $25 per night per room, with a communal kitchen, or $35 in standard room with 2 queen size beds, or $45 in the first block.

• Liked — the place
  • Disliked — the pool
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank mixdang
Sonoma, California
Reviewed March 14, 2006

What a surprise when we arrived at the Hotel Jaguar in Cahuita, Costa Rica. It was nothing like the guide books or listing on Costa Rica.Net or Costa Rica Travel Web described. These descriptions are 10 - 20 years old.

This place has not been maintained since the current owners, a Canadian and his Tica wife, bought the place 13 years ago. If anything works, it doesn't work well.

The place is dirty, rusty, and literally falling apart.

The only reason we stayed the two days was because our travel companion was tired and sick and the on-line reservation service had already charged the full amount to our Debit Card - use a Credit Card instead! We were afraid we would not get our money back. A "superior" double room cost us $70/night and it would have been over-priced at half the price.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank jhwine

Travelers are raving about these Cahuita hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 7, 2006

I read the previous review, which is negative, just a few weeks after I visited it myself. It is true that the place saw better times, but it was not the dark site the previous reviewer perceived. The rooms are large and airy, the beach is a few meters across the road, and I paid US$40 per night: that is $10 per person (wife, children and myself). Service is not worse or better than at most small places in Cahuita, and once they get to know you, they staff are really helpful and pleasant.
So, if you don't mind the staff wearing shorts and an old t-shirt, and want to have both the hotel and the beach in front almost all for yourself, Jaguares is acceptable and cheap. I have been visiting for 7 years in a row and my only worry is that there are so few guests that next time I go there the place may be closed, or under a new administration that will make it shinier and much more expensive.

• Stayed January 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 2, 2005

The website for this place (---) has some nice looking photos, the price was right, and it's owned by a Canadian so I thought it'd be OK. Not. I checked out 20 mins. after I checked in.

The place just felt sketchy. There was no one around - and not in a nice secluded serene kind of way - more like dark alley kind of way. The room I was given was dark and dank. The pool was sad. The front desk guy wasn't helpful and had a bit of an attitude. I had made a reservation but they didn't seem to know that when I got there - although it probably never matters since nobody stays here. The grounds were overgrown in a bad way - not cool jungle-like, but more like somebody's weed-infested backyard.

Stay away. Stay at the Atlantida Lodge instead.

12 Thank Stacy L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahuita
Atlantida Lodge
Suizo Loco Lodge Hotel & Resort
Hotel Banana Azul
Hotel Banana Azul
#1 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to Hotel Jaguar? Share your experiences!