“Cannot get enough of it !!!!!!!!!!”

Magellan Boutique Hotel
Ranked #10 of 21 Cahuita B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2008

For the second time this year, I spent the week-end at the Magellan Inn, I really can't get enough of this wonderful place. The peaceful gardens are the best. My kid had a great time with the owner's animals : dog, parrots, rabbit and horses, he could even feed the parrots with his hands and was so happy about that. As usual great breakfast, nice bread and fresh fruits. I have to say that reading an earlier review from a disappointed customer I thought I had to set the record straight here as this hotel is the very best you will find in Cahuita and I have a good experience about that, the rooms are impeccable, the bedding is super comfortable, the bathrooms are clean and towels are changed every day. We do not use air conditionned as we believe in energy saving and you really don't need it, the walls are very thick and keep the rooms fresh all day.
The owner, Terry is very helpful in every way and she will always do her best so you'll have a happy stay...I hope to be back very soon.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank natacr
There are newer reviews for Magellan Boutique Hotel

Reviewed July 2, 2008

I first stayed at the Magellan a couple of years ago when I ramdomly selected Magellan Inn as a choice of lodging. It was LOVE at first stay and have been stayin there ever since. Terry and Topo are by far the most welcoming and friendliest of all hosts (and I have traveled quite a bit). I love the attention they provide and the details given to all guests. The atmosphere is very relaxing, the pool is excellent, the bar is OUTSTANDING and the food - oh the food!!! I highly recommend this paradise home away from home to everyone visiting the area... it is truly the best choice in all of Cahuita and I look forward to my next visit! Thanks Terry!! See you in July 2008 - Gunther from New York.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank gunthergunther
Reviewed March 8, 2008

We were pretty disappointed with our stay at the magellan inn. By the end of our trip in costa rica, we had come to expect a certain value for our dollar and we did not get it at this hotel. Though the common areas shown on the website (which are the areas the owner lives in) are nice, the rooms are not. They are old, dated, not all that clean (bugs), and there was peeling paint. Though a queen size bed is advertised, it is really just two small mattresses pushed together. The only electrical appliance in the room is a lamp and a coffee maker - no t.v., alarm clock, hairdryer, etc. The breakfast was good, and the grounds are very nice. The owner is not costa rican, and we did not receive the same hospitable welcome we received from the native hoteliers. In fact, though there is no restaurant on site or even that close by, there are signs asking you not to eat in the room! Also, we paid extra every night for airconditioning, and since it was insanely hot, we left it on if we went out during the day so the room would stay cool, but housekeeping always turned it off, so we came back to a hot room. We wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank costaricanvoyageur
hotelmagellaninn, owner at Magellan Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2008

As owner of the hotel,I would just like to correct a few mistakes written in this review.. The photos on our website www.magellaninn.com are all of the hotel, absolutely NONE are from my private quarters of which there is only a bedroom and bathroom. The photos are of the reception and lobby where breakfast is served and evening cocktails. The other photos are of the bedrooms OF the hotel ONLY, the garden in front of each room and the swimming pool of the hotel. Any client who has been to our hotel can verify this. Our rooms are repainted every year, if there was any chipped paint, which I sincerely doubt, but it might have been from a scratch from luggage or furniture moved.I would appreciate a photo of these "They are old, dated, not all that clean (bugs), and there was peeling paint. "? The rooms are kept very clean, everyday by our cleaning ladies.The rooms have "KING SIZE" beds, some are one kingsize beds ,and others are 2 twins together with seperate sheets and covers for individuals who wish to sleep seperate. The beds have an extra top mattress for extra comfort from the usual hard hotel beds found and we have lots of pillows on the bed, 6 pillows for each bed and extra ones in the cupboards.As a hotel in the jungle with an incredible surrounding wildlife and fauna, we will never have TV in the rooms as our clientele come here to appreciate the peacefulness of these surroundings and not to listen to TV from a next room. I would never put TV's in our rooms. I would eventually put small fridges but never televisions. Hairdryers are offered at the reception. Yes, I am from Canada and have lived in Costa Rica for 15 years , however both my daughters are Costa Rican. We do not advertise a restaurant in the hotel on our website since quite awhile, but we do have 2 restaurants within walking distance. "Bananas" at 30 mtrs. and "Coconut Caribbean" at 200 mtrs. as well as "Sobre Las Olas" at 800 mtrs. and then Cahuita town at 1.5 km. with many very good restaurants. When our clients like to bring food to eat at the hotel ,we offer the reception breakfast area and pool area with its chairs and tables,as well as plates and cutlery for anyone that requests them. People often order in pizza and eat them at the tables.We just ask not in the rooms for stains on the carpets and bedcovers.As for the air condition we are an eco friendly hotel as are most in Costa Rica and like to help with energy conservation and global warming.. However if a client desires to keep their A/C on all day while they are out, there is no problem,just ask at the desk.. We have different rates for different rooms or extra bed ,as written on our web page. I like to make sure my clients are happy and enjoy spending time with them and talking to them and explaining the many beautiful places to see and enjoy in our small Caribbean laid back town with its incredible wildlife and beaches, and respect any complaints and unhappiness from clients if they are made known to me. I am always willing to accomodate any grieviances.

Reviewed February 20, 2008

We stayed at the Magellan for two nights in Febuary. For the Cahuita area, I think that the hotel is a quite a good choice for the price. Rooms are OK , beds are comfortable, there was AC in our room (rare in that area) and the pool was refreshing. The caribean are is quite humid, so the AC helped to clear the humidity in the room. Gardens are very nice, lots of tropical trees and flowers... By the way, we saw more wildlife while at the hotel than in the nearby National Park.. Lots of birds, toucans and agoutis from our balcony... Finally, breakfast was good, and we got good answers and advice on the area at the desk when we asked for...

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dHoude
Reviewed December 7, 2007

I stayed at the Magellan November 15, the day after "Poorly Treated" stayed there. My experience was much different. The owner was very pleasant and acommodating. The grounds were beautiful. I wanted to stay there the 16th and 17th as well as the 15th, but because it was a holiday weekend the hotel was was booked by guests who had previous reservations. I ended up staying at the Diosa and the Bungalo Malu the other two nights. They were nice also, but the Magellan was the better of the three. I highly recommend a stay at the Magellan, but I recommend making advance reservations. I would definately stay there again.

Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank DominicanMike
Reviewed December 6, 2007

hello everybody (:

we look for the forum of Hotel Magellan Inn to recomend about it after we had such a good time over there and sourprisely we readed a massage from a customer that visited for 1 day from NY in the same hotel.
we want to reject for what he was writing, because the owner of the hotel make us get the best vacation we could have.
wonderfull and kind service.
the hotel have a beautifull tropical garden. we could sit so meny houers and just enjoy watching the buterflys, the colorfull birds.
very comfortable rooms with a/c.
nice pool.
what alse can we ask for a good vacation?
we plan to visit Hotel Magellan Inn many more times in all our holidays in Costa Rica.
we recomand all our friends and other people who like quality and peacefull hotels to visit in Hotel Magellan Inn.

enjoy your vacation (:

Yosi and Esti from Israel.
yosi@yboats.com

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yosi50
Reviewed November 14, 2007

I checked in for 4 nights. The well-known French restaurant next to the hotel & one of the main reasons I picked the Magellan was closed. That night the eletrical power decreased to the point where the lights darkened and the A/C failed. The next morning there was still no A/C and the power in the rooms was still low. The owner advised that it would be fixed sometime that day. B/c my vacation time was limited and not wanting to take a chance, I asked if I could check out early and volunteered to pay for 2 nights. Not only did the owner refuse, she demanded that I pay for all 4 nights and that if I wanted to use a credit card (originally she promised a discount for cash but I then decided I needed a record of the transaction) I would have to pay even more. She agreed not to charge for the A/C the first night but would only pay for the first night in its entirety if I signed a "satisfaction accord." I flatly refused, paid her what she wanted, and advised I would publish this message.

I think my offer to pay in full for 2 nights was very fair especially since it was low season, most of the hotel was empty, and I only stayed 1 night. The owner insisted on soaking me for as much money as she could. There are more fair and less greedy hotel owners in Cahuita, and they can easily be found online or in travel books. I recommend you find them and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
hotelmagellaninn, owner and manager at Magellan Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2007

I have been waiting for this man to write his review on our hotel, so that I may respond to his attitude.At the time of his stay, the hotel was not empty,we had 4 rooms out tof the total for our 6 room hotel.All the other clients that were here met and saw this man and knew of the situation, they all offered me to help me and write to Trip Advisor, if he made any complaints or nasty comments on the hotel trying to ruin its long standing high reputation. They will also be writing here their opinions. The night of his arrival, there was effectively a power problem in our neighbourhood due to the local Electric company's power surges. One of my breakers was damaged, so the A/C was not working for that night, only. The next day I apologised to everyone, it was repaired by 1 pm that day. I was told by clients that the man was looking for a reason to leave as he did not like Cahuita. His reservation had been made on the 9th September for the 12th of October and he was fully aware of our cancellation policies. That weekend was a National Holiday, everywhere was full. The taxi who took him around later, could find not one room available in all Cahuita, they spent several hours in Puerto Viejo as well, til he found one,(rustic cabinas with no A/C nor services).Then he tried to bargain with the driver and did not want to pay the driver the correct price, she was very upset and told me after. A next taxi driver called me in the day, asking for this man, as the previous day he had taken him all over Puerto Vielo, looking for fun and action, at the end he refused to pay, only wanting to pay $4 for 3 hour drive, the taxi was furious, he was not paid by this man and came to me hoping to find the client here.
This man threatened me to write to Trip Advisor and ruin my reputation , if I made him pay anything for his stay. I refused,and said I would not charge him the first night for any discomfort, that however the A/C would be working again early today, and even offered that if it was not on again by the afternoon ,he could stay the whole 4 days for free , as I knew it would be repaired. He said he still wanted to leave he then said he would pay for 2 nights, I asked him if he would agree to sign a paper that he was satisfied with this arrangement. he refused, yelling at me., and told me he would cancel his card. Other clients were sitting at the breakfast table, and heard all this. After he left, they told me that I was right and that this man was dishonest and very rude.
I appreciate Trip Advisor and the opportunity they give people to voice their experiences and opinions, but it is very sad and hard when one's reputation can be destroyed by one man's dishonesty.
I hope people will also read other reviews and check guide books such as Frommer's, Fodor's, Moon Hand Book, Lonely Planet and many others, who are honest and excellent Guide Books.
I would also like to end this, with saying that the other clients that were staying here at the time left very happy, and will be writing here too.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahuita
Passion Fruit Lodge
Hotel La Diosa
Hotel La Diosa
#6 of 12 in Cahuita
La Casa de las Flores Hotel

Been to Magellan Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!