“we had a great stay”

Magellan Boutique Hotel
Ranked #7 of 21 Cahuita B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 28, 2012

our family of 4 had a great two night stay at the end of January. We enjoyed the early morning sightings of agoutis, a huge iguana in a tree, and a sloth and her baby. Everyone there was welcoming and they brought out pancakes for my son who was celebrating his birthday. We were comfortable with the four of us in one room. Continental breakfast was nice and the covered patio was a very pleasant place to eat. We look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank towen27701

Reviewed February 24, 2012

We first discovered this hotel in 1994 when it was practically new. It is just as wonderful now as it was then. Ownership is still in the same family - the gardens have matured and it is a delightful place to spend a few night while exploring the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vacation023
Reviewed February 11, 2012

We so loved the parrots, Jack and Chica!
Terry was a gracious host, and eagerly assisted us in getting a last minute zip-line tour scheduled. She was very helpful and kind.
The rooms a nicely appointed, beds comfortable, the pools is great, and the gardens are beautifly maintained. Breakfast was continental, but very tasty. We walked to the nearby Carribean restaurant, and the owner drove us home in the rain! Lovely stay. We highly reccomend Magellan Inn.
Lyne Erving and Otto Spoerl
Seattle
January 2012

Room Tip: All lovely. One has a fridge.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lyneotto
Reviewed January 17, 2012

The place is realy very very nice! But, the owner didn't let us feel comfortable, she was very cool and not always so frendly. The Italian woman who was working there was on the contrary very nice and friendly and that was good! First of all, we booked a family-room for 4 person. We got a nice room, realy. But there was only place for 3, so one of us had to sleep on the floor. Than, the breakfast was included, But it was only bread, jam and fruitjuice what was included,all the rest we had to pay extra! We slept in many places in Costa Rica, and this was the only place where they counted an egg or a liitle piece of cheese or whatever. And..when you want to visite the slothrescue, don't let her book it because she count 20 dollar extra for herself,just go there by yourself to book it, it's only 10 ' driving;(even the people from the rescue didn't understand why she counted 20 dollar extra). So, all of this was not so fair. And I let her know from before that it was our sons birthday so they could do something nice in the room are with the breakfast for him, but she didn't do anything! she even didn't wish him a happy birthday! Understandable that we didn't feel good in this place. This was the only bad experience of our fantastic journey in Costa Rica

Room Tip: if you are more than three people, tell them you don't want to sleep on the floor. Than it's...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrea V
hotelmagellaninn, Owner at Magellan Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Hello,

Our rooms are double with the option of an extra twin bed for 3 people. Because you were a family and wanted to stay in the same room and not have the extra expense of 2 rooms side by side, at Christmas time,you were given, at no extra charge a roll up mattress for the floor FREE and the extra 4th breakfast was also FREE. Your travel agency was very much aware of this and so were you. I even thought a mistake had been made, but the agency assured me you only wanted one room.
For the sloth rescue place, this is a false. There is a charge to book the trip of $5 per person, you were 4 people, that meant a total of $20, not $20 per person. You did NOT pay extra, than the normal rate for their trip which is $30 per person as THEY advertise with breakfast at 6 am or the tour @ $25 they advertise which is without breakfast and from 8 am on. The $5 per person is for them, to hold so they know people are coming for sure. I do not make $20 per person to book their tour, that is their business.Also, as they are VERY good friends of mine since 17 years, I send the our clients to them, because they have an amazing place, I do not charge extra for this. If you told them I charged you $20 per person, of course they would not understand! However that is not the case. You paid a total of $30 per person,or $25 depending the tour you picked,as everyone else does who goes there.
Also for your son's birthday, sadly you did not mention anything to me about this, nor to my Italian receptionist, as she confirmed with me,as we have candles especially for these occasions, and we put them on croissants,cupcakes or pancakes for someone who has a birthday, it is really not something I would do on purpose not to celebrate your son's birthday, the contrary, we are very prepared for these events.. I am very, very sorry if there was some confusion or misunderstanding about this. I do apologize, but honestly I did not know. What I did see, after you left after your stay,was the remnants of a celebration on your terrace everywhere, and my cleaning girls said they must have had a birthday or something, unfortunately ,we did not know.
I would like to make very clear, to anyone reading this, that we do not sell our rooms for 4 people, they are double rooms with an extra twin as an option for 3 people. Many clients ask us to let them have it with their 2 young children, I explain that it makes the room smaller, but will offer an extra roll up mattress for the floor with breakfast at no extra cost.
Most of all, I am sorry that you did not convey your problems and unhappiness to me during your stay. You said nothing and I had no idea that you were unhappy. The children played their games in the evenings, in the lounge area, everyone seemed happy and enjoying their stay here. You gave me no hint of something wrong for you.
I also remember that you had emailed me and asked me to reserve the Christmas Eve dinner at a local restaurant for you ,as you would be arriving on that very same day. I believe you told me that you were very happy with that.
For readers, I would like to ask a favour ,in that if and when you come to stay with us, if something does not meet your requirements, to please let us know, so that we can accommodate you and make your stay a happy and unforgettable one.
Thank you.

Reviewed December 12, 2011

I stumbled into this little bit of Heaven on Earth because it was late and I needed a place for the night.
How lucky was I to find such a beautiful place.
As I learned its history I loved it even more.
Five Stars are not enough.
Everything was perfect.
Often digital photos make a place look better but looking at their website... the photos just don't do it justice.
The front porches on each room add a unique touch.
Breakfast is excellent, cooked to order and is served in a beautiful spot.
The owner has seen a lot of the world for the deck of a sail boat and is an extremely interesting person to visit with.
I very much look forward to being there again soon.

Room Tip: To get a good room just stay at the Magellan Inn. I think you'll be happy you did.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank BandL830
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 night stay at this charming little inn in Cahuita. We opted for the Standard Room which was clean and adequate, in fact the King size bed was quite comfortable. I'm a girl who likes fresh air, but we opted to keep the patio doors closed to keep out mosquitos...not a huge problem but since I saw a few I preferred to keep them out...otherwise I would have kept the doors open for the breeze. If you're not used to the humidity, opt for the room with AC...next time I will. The grounds, pool and shared areas are nice and they put a banana stalk nearby to lure birds close in. I enjoyed the pool every day, and we were enchanted with the two resident pet birds, a red nosed Amazon parrot named Jack, and a blue Macaw named Chica who is quite an entertainer. I also enjoyed the green & black poison dart frogs who inhabit the garden. Our host Terry was friendly and helpful as were the staff. There were plenty of tours to choose from, and Terry is happy to call you a cab if you don't have a car. The breakfast, which is included, is a Continental breakfast, eggs are extra but still economical. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely return. Yes, the dogs occasionally bark at night but I think they add to the security of the place, which I appreciate and they do not bother the guests.

Room Tip: Choose a room with AC if you don't tolerate humidity well.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judy W
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Last summer we (family, two kids of 9 and 11) spent several days in this little paradise, as our children still call this place. A beautiful, lovely swimmingpool in an exotic garden, with lots of birds. The owner helped us finding a place to stay in a different area, very nice! The breakfast with delicious bread(!) was quite a relief after so many gallo pinto! The children were impressed by the dogs though, but they are rather easy to avoid! Enjoy your stay here!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Annette K
hotelmagellaninn, Owner at Magellan Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

I am happy that you enjoyed our little paradise!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahuita
Hotel La Diosa
Le Cameleon Boutique Hotel
Kenaki Lodge
Kenaki Lodge
#8 of 21 in Cahuita

Been to Magellan Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!