“Best Hotel in Cahuita by a large margin”

Magellan Boutique Hotel
Ranked #10 of 21 Cahuita B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Had the opportunity to visit Terry at Magellan again, and it never ceases to amaze me why people would stay anywhere else in Cahuita. The rooms are clean, everything works (I find it stunning how many Costa Rican hotels have terrible maintainance issues), and when something goes wrong, Terry fixes it as fast as you ask. Walking around the grounds is like walking in a botanist's garden; every example of the most beautiful Costa Rican flowers and shrubs are found here. It's just mesmerizing. I also love the layout of the restaurant/front desk. Open air concept, view of the grounds, and all for 3 star prices. Unreal.
One thing I really take exception to are the twits that have called Terry cold or disinterested in her clients and other idiotic things like that; it couldn't be further from the truth, at least in my experience. Personally, I like someone that gives me my space, and some peaceful tranquility in such a soothing environment; life isn't about McDonalds and having people chitter chatter around you like a hyper IHOP waitress. If someone's quiet, does that make them unfriendly? Terry, in my experience is a warm, intellegent person who has the grace and elan to overlook boors like the kind of people that would write such trash. If you don't like someone, imagine walking a mile in their shoes before you condemn them. I've found her nothing but charming and beautiful, just like her front desk assistant Ixela.

Room Tip: It's really up to you; want AC? It doesn't cost a lot more. Happy with a fan? Save a few buc...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
hotelmagellaninn, Owner at Magellan Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Glad that you enjoyed our place as much as you did your 1st visit with us! We hope to see you again!
It is not very correct that another reviewer can question your authenticity. Your review is one of many who have enjoyed their stay with us as much as you did., and we appreciate your honest opinion of us, thank you.

There are newer reviews for Magellan Boutique Hotel

Reviewed October 24, 2011

Just to mirror a number of the reviews here, considering how quaint and intimate this little Inn is, you'd expect a little warmth from the host. The owner was not rude, but very cold. It's hard to describe, but someone was dead on when they said that she seems more concerned with taking care of her dogs, bird and horse than she does with her guests. Obviously, it's up to the hotel whether they want to serve a full breakfast or not, but we stayed in 5 different hotels in Costa Rica, all of which were less considerably less than this one, and Megellan was the only one that did not provide a real breakfast. Additionally, that fact was unclear to us, so when we went to breakfast, we just waited not wanting to be rude. After about 30 mins of nibbling at our bread and butter, it became apparent that if we wanted something more we would have to order it.

We took a room with TV and AC for our stay, making the room $135/night. While we enjoyed our stay, this price was definitely not worth it. AC was lovely, and we just wanted to relax so TV was also nice, but not nice enough for the price. The room was clean. Like someone said, the king bed was really 2 twins, but this didn't bother us. What did bother us was that the shower was no curtains so it really is almost impossible to keep the bathroom from being soaking wet.

The beach is a short walk, but that part of the beach is very rocky. There is a nicer beach in town, but it's a long walk in the hot sun.

Next time we're in Cahuita, we'll try another hotel out.

Room Tip: If you like sleeping in the cold, get the AC.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

As owner I apologize if I appeared cool or distant in anyway, as I do enjoy talking with my clients, hearing their travel stories ,advising them on different things to do, and also telling stories of my own adventures around the world.
We all have different types of characters, I will admit I cannot put on false smiles, but when I smile you can believe that it is sincere and kind, and that I do enjoy helping my clients. I have traveled my whole life, my greatest interest is meeting new people and listening to their different stories, it is what makes the world an interesting place to live in. Unfortunately it seems my personality does not suit everyone, but from most of the reviews here, I do believe that most people do enjoy my company.
I must admit it does touch me personally this type of comment and hurts, I do ask myself what is it I am doing wrong for some people to feel this way. However people have assured me that it is not the way I am, that sometimes you cannot make everyone happy. But I do try!
The animals we have here, that yes I do take care of when our receptionist is in charge, are our dogs, our Macaw parrot Chica that everyone loves and who is even famous on Youtube, Jack our Amazon parrot that tries to compete with Chica, our Silkie chickens who provide fresh eggs for our breakfasts, and our horses for the horse tours.
We offer a Continental breakfast included in the rate which is fresh fruit juice from our garden and organic tropical fruit plate, fresh baked white and whole wheat buns, 2 different types of jam(pineapple and blackberry)butter , organic grown coffee, tea and Costa Rica hot chocolate.For those that are hungrier we offer extras of fried eggs,omelets, cheese & ham plates, croissants, cereal & yogurt. This is on a little menu which is on each breakfast table.
The rate of $135 was for a Delux room at Peak Season which would have been either Christmas, New Years or Easter week, the rates are lower for the rest of the year, as in other hotels.We also have rooms without tv or a/c at much cheaper rates.
As we are a small, intimate boutique hotel of 6 rooms, some of our rooms have kingsize beds that can be turned into 2 twins if people want to be seperate. However each of the beds has a complete foam on top with a special kingsize bed foamcover protector. To know they are two twins one must take the bed covers and protector and foam off the beds. We also have rooms with full kingsize mattresses.
The rocky beach spoken about here is Playa Negra which is at 8oo mtr. from us, our closest beach at 200 mt. is 40 km. of pure sand, untouched and unspoilt. They must have missed this, as it really is quite amazing, not easy to find in the world such a long, untouched coast of sandy beach. The colour is of normal coloured sand, in Cahuita in the National Park there is also white sand. I believe there are photos of our beach here.
The walk to Cahuita is aprx 15 - 20 minutes max. One can walk along the beach in the full sun or along the road under the coconut trees, there are some areas that the sun does come through, but it is the Caribbean and people like the sun.
I am also going to post a photo of myself here, so that people may see that I am not some horrible wicked witch from the west.
Everyone is different and different places are suited better to different types of people," Vive la Difference!"
But I will take into consideration these negative remarks on my own person and let my smile shine a little more. Happy travels to all!

Reviewed September 4, 2011

This place is absolutely fantastic!!! My friend and I planned a last minute trip to Costa Rica and decided on Hotel Magellan Inn. One reason was because I really like Magellan the explorer , but that's beside the point... What can I say? After our 4 hour drive from the airport we were greeted by Terry who was very friendly and helpful and made us feel very comfortable right away. There is a great reception/bar/breakfast area with beautiful rugs, nice tile floor, interesting sculptures , beautiful plants, a macao and parrot (forget their names) First cool thing: We're standing there talking to Terry and all of a sudden we hear Hola! And silly me, I thought it was a person, but it was the macao , I think his name might have been Jack? Anyway, it was really fun. The place is so intimate with just 6 beautiful rooms, each with a terrace, a wonderful pool surrounded by great landscaping. Really peaceful. Terry was great at helping us plan and organize everything we wanted to do in the short time we were there. We kept hearing this clunking sound on the roof and finally asked her and she said it was the coconuts falling. There are so many! I love that sound. The breakfast was just right warm, delicious bread, great coffee and delicious fruit. Room was just right and really clean. Nice to relax on the terrace. Our last night we sat there for a while and gazed up at the moon in the dark sky through the coconut trees, just hypnotizing. Pictures don't do it justice. We went on this great 3 hour horseback ride on the beach and through the jungle which was amazing. I galloped for the first time and it was only like my 3rd time on a horse. Our guide, Natasha, was great. Possibly the best part (but this is just unique to me) was that when we stopped for a break, Natasha threw coconuts against a tree which made a crack in the coconut and we drank the juice out of the crack. This is something I have been wanting to do ever since I was 10 years old and watching Gilligan's Island. My dream finally came true!!! The pool was great, very quiet, and Terry served us delicious Pina Coladas poolside. We also each had a lovely massage in the garden. But truly it was amazing to gallop on the beach. Hated to leave, wanted to stay for about a month. I highly recommend this place

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank littleboy1
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I fell in love with the property and the location. The inn is lovely - beautiful gardens with pool and exotic birds. I enjoyed sitting back with a drink and watching all the different birds that visit the garden. Terry was able to show us where the green dart frogs lived, and sure enough we saw them at breakfast the next morning. The hotel is a great value as the rooms are very comfortable - tiled floors and large beds. It is a short stroll to the beach. We loved the Italian restaurant that is a short walk down the road. We ate at a few local places that Terry recommended and loved each of them. We also visiting the National Park and had a blast watching the monkeys play with each other. Thanks for a great stay and making our trip memorable Terry! We hope to see you again soon :)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LovefromSydney
Reviewed May 29, 2011

First I wish to apologize to Ms. Terry for not taking the time to write this review before now but it was not until I was reading the others that I realized I never did. I actually visited the Magellan Inn in May 2010 on an R&R from Iraq and was simply looking for a nice quiet spot for some down time and I found it in sleepy little Cahuita with Terry & the Magellan. I guess every one experiences things in their own way & judges by what their life experience is but I for one found the place quiet & lovely & Terry and her small staff very friendly and helpful. I was there a few days and had all I needed or desired at my fingertips. I would definitely not hesitate to stay there again if ever in the area and would suggest it to all others who need a nice quiet get away. The grounds are lovely & the small pool is more than adequate & it is only a short walk to other restaurants and the beach.
Terry & staff I thank you for the experience and the soothing therapy of all that you offered me on my visit.

Room Tip: Read what is offered and decide for yourself.
  • Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SouthernSon63
Reviewed May 6, 2011

First of all: the accommodation is very nice and clean. It's indeed true that the Italian restaurant isn't as close as you would expect but it's definitely close enough to go there because the food is very good. The biggest 'issue' we had was with the owner. She's very helpful but we never felt very welcome. It's hard to describe but small details like eggs not being included and having to pay the minute we arrived gave us a cold hotel-like feeling. It's a pity because I'm sure she wants the best for everyone. Maybe it's a bore-out?

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank tvde
Reviewed April 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed here while exploring the southern caribbean coast of Costa Rica. It's a real gem in sleepy Costa Rican beach town. We had a good sized room with a king sized bed, air conditioning, tv and a small fridge for our beer. Everything I want in a room on vacation. The grounds were beautiful, well cared for and bright. A nice continental style breakfast was included each morning with the option to add eggs (for a minimal cost) if you're hungrier. I highly recommend this hotel if you stay in the Cahuita area.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahuita
Passion Fruit Lodge
Hotel La Diosa
Hotel La Diosa
#6 of 12 in Cahuita
La Casa de las Flores Hotel

Been to Magellan Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!