“I hate to be the first”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cahuita
Aviarios del Caribe
Ranked #19 of 21 Cahuita B&B and Inns
San Diego
“I hate to be the first”
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I feel like a jerk writting this review but I can't let this go unsaid. I really wanted to like this B&B and I am going to start out with the positives because there were a couple.

PRO:
THE OWNERS - The owners of the B&B were wonderful, great personalities and very kind.
THE LOCATION: The property is located on a small river. The wildlife surrounding the property is amazing. We ran into some of the coolest critters such as beautiful spiders, cute lizards, large frogs and beautiful bugs and of course the sloths.

CONS:
RUNNING OF THE B&B- This is where I feel bad writting this review. The people at this location are doing WONDERFUL things for the wildlife of the country. They have opened up their hearts and put their soul into what they are doing for not only the sloths but other animals of the area. However, I think that may be what they are best suited for. When we showed up at the B&B we were basically forgotten about. I am sure they just got tied up with everything going on, but the fact still remains that they basically forgot about us for our whole stay. One owner approached us and asked if we were planning on going for a boat ride but that was about it. They didn't give us they lay of the land, didn't explain how the drink tab worked or how breakfast worked, they didn't even help us figure out a time or suggest a time to do the sloth tour which is the main reason we stayed there. Should they have to do all the work? No. But the impression they gave off was that they were too busy to be bothered by us and there was little to effort put into our stay. We ended up being so off put that we didn't care about doing the sloth tour, and they never asked about it or offered it as an option. In sum, they do a wonderful job caring for the animals and it is very clear to see that they put their heart and soul into helping these creatures. The owners and staff are very clearly wonderful people. Perhaps our stay just kinda slipped through the cracks or there was a mix up in communication but we hated staying at this B&B and I would not recomend it to anyone it was a low point of our vacation. Go for the tour, Stay at Banana Azul in Puerto Viejo further down south. This B&B seemed more like an after thought, and a scramble to come up with some income (which is understandable).
THE ROOMS - First off, we do not expect wonderful accomidations when we travel nor do we expect the same hotels/B&B's that they have here in America. We are very realistic about our expecations about rooms. The room at the B&B was okay at best. It smelt musty, the pillows smelt like mushrooms (my husbands words) the bathtub had rusted metal on the side and it was cracked. All in all the room had a bed to sleep on and hot water but those were the only redeming features.

Again, I hate to write a bad review about a location that does such wonderful things for animals but I could not recomend this location as a good place to stay. I was so pumped to stay at this B&B after reading the reviews on this site and I was so let down when we actually arrived I wanted to add my experience to the pot.

• Liked — The animals and the care put into helping the various creatures
  • Disliked — Basically everything else
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank stinkyshermy

Business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 30, 2007

This small B&B is attached to a sloth sanctuary and set on a beautiful piece of land threaded with canals right off the main highway between Limon and Cahuita. During the day the sloth sanctuary is open for tours of the research facility and guided canoe rides on the canals. There are easy hiking trails on the property, an incredible variety of birds, and a pack of howler monkeys. Some rooms have AC but our room had a fan and AC was not needed. Our room also had a gorgeous view through a huge bay window facing out onto a wooded area. The rooms with AC lacked the views but had a separate seating area with table and chairs. The beds were very comfortable with good linens. Bathroom was large with a soaking tub and shower. Breakfast was very good and service was attentive throughout our stay. The baby sloths were great fun to watch. This is a great base for a stopover to and from the southern Caribbean beaches. You can overnight here and hit Cahuita National Park the next day. Be sure and take their early morning canoe trip when the wildlife is up and about.

• Liked — All the wildlife in a beautiful natural setting
  • Disliked — On days when cruise ships are in port they can be overrun with tourists, so go early.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank crfan
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 4, 2006

From the moment I read about this facility I looked forward to my visit. It was fascinating to learn about these shy and amazing creatures. The gal who gave us a tour was incredibly knowledgeable, took time answering our million questions and even let us pet and take photos with the animals. It was a wonderful experience and one that I would do again when I go to Costa Rica again.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 27, 2005

We stopped by Aviarios del Caribe in Nov 2005, while we were only there briefly, it was just an amazing place. We were able to see some of the 'family' sloths, along with Buttercup. I had previous been to Peru, and while walking through a market in Iquitos, we came across men selling baby sloths and was able to 'purchase' one and set it free (we made sure it was set free appropriately!) ... It was such an amazing experience then and to have that again while visiting the Sloth Sanctuary was a privilege. Judy and Luis certainly have shown great admiration and care for these wonderful animals. I would definitely recommend this stop, it is worth the time and you will leave wanting to go back. Visitors are able to ‘adopt’ a sloth and there is a great gift shop, which you may purchase those cute Buttercup t-shirts. The walk through the rainforest and canoe trip were just great little extra's that made this trip worthwhile.

• Stayed November 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 8, 2004

kathy and came down in july ,,it was my second time there and her first (visit)..its the kind of experience you will never forget,,and one you should take the time to do.
,,judy,,we are coming back in jan,,dont forget to email and let us know if you need anything
thank you for the time you took to let kathy spend some time with the baby sloths,,i cant tell you what it ment for her
danny and kathy charleston sc 1-843-270-1357

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed June 30, 2004

This lodge is set on a river inlet with a private block of forest you can easily walk through. The unique attraction is that the place is also a sloth rescue center and cares for dozens of abandoned baby sloths as well as injured adults. The owners, Judy & Luis, are friendly and provide a wealth of information about the sloths, as well as recommendations for food and activities in the area. A gem on the Atlantic Coast.

• Stayed August 2004
3 Thank UCLASteve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahuita
Hotel Banana Azul
#14 of 46 in Cahuita
Playa Negra Guesthouse
Playa Negra Guesthouse
#1 of 21 in Cahuita

Been to Aviarios del Caribe? Share your experiences!