We stayed in Secret Garden for several days last week. Overall we are satisfied with our experiences, but several things could be done to significant improve our stay. I would probably rate this a 3.5 and not a 4 star, but since the owner was so nice, the rooms big and clean, the shower warm and pressurized, towels changed daily, the internet was consistent and fast, a pleasant common area, good location, usable kitchen, and mossie nets were included we were overall more happy than not and I prefer to give the place the benefit.
However, the owner would be wise to follow two suggestions.
1. New mattresses and pillows. The sheets are clean, but the mattresses are gray and kind of musty. After a few days I was keen to move somewhere with a clean mattress.
2. Thoroughly clean the kitchen. The shelves holding dishes were filthy, with copious cockroach droppings and cockroaches both dead and alive. The dish rack was gross. The table top was gross. The fridge full of old stuff that hadn't been cleaned.
I understand that people should clean up after themselves, but ultimately its up to the hotel owner to make sure the kitchen is a clean and sanitary place to cook.
I will stress though, that the size of the rooms, some with TV's, shelves, and full length mirrors and all with floor fans and of a good size with private bathrooms are good and quite clean.
If the owner took the time to scrub the kitchen down on a weekly basis and get new mattresses, this would be an EASY excellent choice and she could probably charge more!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are located 1 minute from the National Park of Cahuita, also the centre. This is a peaceful place to relax, watching the humming and other birds and butterflies in our garden. We have a terrace with roof, so when it rains you still can sit outside. The howler monkeys come very close in the backyard. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Hostel And Cabinas Secret Garden Costa Rica/Cahuita