“Best place to eat in Cahuita”
Review of Sobre las Olas

Sobre las Olas
Ranked #2 of 61 Restaurants in Cahuita
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Costa Rican
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed in Cahuita for 5 days and after the first evening in a restaurant in the village which was a kind of tourist trap.. Expensive but bad...we wondered if they have a good place to eat here around.
Next day on the way home it was raining so heavy that we decided to stop over in Sobre las olas Cahuita to have A coffee... The waiter was so a funny and nice person that we stay for Lunch, after have our meals( Red Snapper and Seafood) we came back everyday to have our diner there .. At the beach, quiet ,clean,amazing food and friendly service .
Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,061)

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I read so many great reviews and even heard more while we where in Cahuita about this place but unfortunately I can only rank this as average and even that is being a little generous.
We ate here on Oct 27th and maybe because it was a Sunday we picked the wring day because as we were looking over the menu, the waiter told us of everything that they did not have and because the menu included a lot of these items it left our selections a bit slim. They had enough shrimp for one order of something so I ordered the first shrimp item I found and that was just OK.
I feel like maybe we just hit them on a bad night because as I mentioned others had told us of their experience the night before and it sounded amazing. Oh well...would try one more time if we were back in the area but there were other places that we enjoyed better.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We were just passing through the area and was given a recommendation to try this place, boy are we happy we listened! My husband and I both agree that this was the best meal we had while in Costa Rica. The Ceviche was the best we ever had. They serve it garpachio style and it was swordfish the night we were there, i joked that i could eat my weight in it ! The mussels were HUGE and very fresh. My husband got the fish and chips and I got the shrimp. Both were delicious. The waiter could not have been more attentive. We dined outside and the sound of the ocean and the breeze was just perfect. They said that a sloth frequents the trees outside but was not there the night we were.

Highly recommend if you are in the area to stop by!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We ate here two nights and found the food and service excellent. Eating outdoors right by the ocean at high tide was refreshing, especially the first night with a breeze. Definitely recommend!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

After visiting numerous other restaurants in the area, this one was a real treat with a great view of the water and a relaxing romantic atmosphere. We would also rate this as one of the best restaurants to have dinner in Cahuita, the fish was very fresh and shown to us before cooking. The wine list is limited but has some ok reds. The staff were friendly and eager to keep you happy, even told a delivery truck to turn off his engine when it was obvious that it was bothering us. Try to get a table outside as long as its not raining, just adds to the atmosphere. Place is on the pricy side but considering the quality, service and atmosphere, it's worth the price. Would also be a nice place to go and have a quite drink in the afternoon or after dinner. Go and treat yourself!