Tree of Life Wildlife Rescue Center and Botanical Gardens
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Cahuita
More attraction details
Owner description: Tree of Life Wildlife Rescue Center and Botanical Gardens ) Our main goal is to protect and rehabilitate displaced wildlife of the Caribbean region.We offer a safe haven to animals that need refuge because of loss of habitat, accidents, victims of pet trade or hunting.The botanical gardens offer you many different species of palms, heliconias, bromeliads and many others. Tree of Life, Cahuita, Costa Rica.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Cahuita, Costa Rica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A wonderful space”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Patricia is a lovely person who throughout the visit, interactively, gives us new knowledge about plants and animals. The animals will be returned to nature whenever it is possible. While recovering from illness or stressful situations, they are cherished by Patricia and her staff.

Taunton, United Kingdom
191 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 244 helpful votes
“Beautiful plants”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Tree of Life has wonderful plants and is beautiful laid out to feel natural but with some order. My partner could have spent hours there just taking photographs of the fauna. It only opens at 11am and does one tour a day so we had to return after to get in and there weren't tours that day but we enjoyed the freedom to walk around at our pace and absorb what is there. It is great they are supporting injured wildlife but some of the cages felt a little small but that may have been for a reason as some of their stories and backgrounds are sad. We would recommend a visit here, it has a good energy :-)

Adelaide, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Volunteer Experience at Tree of Life”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have just completed two weeks volunteering with Patricia at the Tree of Life Wildlife Rescue Centre and am excited to tell everyone about this little hidden gem.

Everything about this experience exceeded my expectations and I would highly recommend anyone to visit the Tree of Life for a tour and if your circumstances permit, volunteer.

The sanctuary itself is just amazing. I stayed in the volunteer house (I had the whole house to myself!) right in the middle of it all! Hundreds of established plants and trees of every kind. If you take the tour you will be explained many of these which really gives depth to the experience. I must say that I felt emotionally overwhelmed by the beauty and diversity here. If you want to feel reconnected to nature this is a great way to do it!

Then there is the amazing work that Patricia and her small team do here. Animals that have been neglected, kept illegally or injured are brought to the sanctuary for care. Great lengths are taken to ensure the habitats are as comfortable as possible and mimic the animals natural environment. Every week special care is taken to ensure behaviour enrichment is provided. The environments are cleaned and maintained daily as is the entire park. A full time job that requires much dedication - I greatly admire the work done here and strongly encourage everyone to visit to ensure Patricia is able to continue this great work.

As a volunteer I worked with Patricia, Jhannil and Marvin 5 days a week for 4 hours a day, preparing food, feeding and generally taking care of the animals and grounds of the sanctuary. What a thrill to greet Howler, White-faced and Spider Monkey's everyday along with many other wonderful and exciting animals (I won't list them all, you need to go find out the others for yourself!). At the end of the two weeks I can say that I have learnt a great deal about the animals and environment of Costa Rica and have many experiences to share with friends and family. It was increadibly tough for me to leave and would have dearly like to have stayed at least another two weeks. There is a good chance I will return if circumstances permit.

I wish Patricia and the team at the park every sucess for the future and encourage all to come and support them in doing so. Tours are conducted daily at 11 am everyday except for Monday for $15 - certainly well worth the money and all goes to ensure this important work continues.

2 Thank Lynda C
Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great place!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Alex, from El Encanto, told us about this place. We loved our visit with Patricia, who took good care of showing us plants and animals. She was very good with the kids, who loved the visit too (the whole 2,5 hours it lasted without anyone complaining about the length!). A much better value than the Sloth Sanctuary, which is interesting, but too expensive for what it has to offer. Patricia is very knowledgeable about both plants and animals, which makes our visit even more valuable. Loved it !

Visited July 2013
1 Thank NancyMtl
Atlanta, Georgia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Definitely worth a visit.”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I visited the Tree of Life today and had a really good experience. The 2 hours we spent there flew by as we looked at the interesting plants and wildlife. I don't like zoos, because I can't stop thinking about how the animals should be free. I was able to enjoy this experience knowing that this place exists to help the animals.

My only regret is my late arrival. I missed the first part of the tour because the walk from Cahuita took longer than expected.

Visited August 2013

Travelers who viewed Tree of Life Wildlife Rescue Center and Botanical Gardens also viewed

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Province of Limon
Cahuita, Province of Limon

Been to Tree of Life Wildlife Rescue Center and Botanical Gardens? Share your experiences!